• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornwall Sleeper has terrible timings for Reading customers: possible solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
I was recently considering the GWR sleeper service to Cornwall. As somebody who lives in the SE outside London, Reading is far more convenient for me to join than Paddington.

The timings from Reading are 00.50am joining westbound, and 4am getting off eastbound. In both cases you'd be pushed to get 5 hours sleep on the train if you went to Penzance. I can't imagine anybody would consider this an attractive option, especially for leisure.

Why are these timings so poor? I thought of two solutions myself:

Westbound - leave Paddington at 10.45pm instead of 11.45pm, allowing getting on at Reading before Midnight. Extra dwell time in Plymouth to make up for the earlier arrival.

Esstbound - stop somewhere between Taunton and Reading for an hour or two!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nova1

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
439
Location
Stratford-Upon-Avon
I guess the majority of passengers will board at Paddington and pushing it forwards an hour might be inconvenient for scheduling and you've got to pay all your crew for an extra hour.
 

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
They allow boarding at Paddington at 10.30pm so the crew are there already.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I've always understood the departure time from Paddington to be about giving passengers as long as possible in London, should they have been to the Theatre etc, and of course boarding starts somewhat earlier anyway.

In the morning the arrival into Paddington was altered some years ago I recall, so that those who are travelling to Heathrow can get an early Heathrow Express and make the earliest flights.

I suspect both of these concepts attract more passengers than would be gained by improving the offer at Reading.
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
Would it be practical to join / alight the train at Paddington and make the 23 minute journey to/from Reading by normal services?
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,485
Westbound - leave Paddington at 10.45pm instead of 11.45pm, allowing getting on at Reading before Midnight. Extra dwell time in Plymouth to make up for the earlier arrival.

Departing Paddington at 22.45 would only be leaving London 45 minutes after the last ‘daytime’ service to Plymouth!
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
The morning arrival has to be early to vacate the platform at Paddington in time for the morning peak to start.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,887
Location
East Anglia
I think the later departure from London is far more important & it could have operational consequences for crewing the train further down the line hence why it runs as it does.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,612
Why are these timings so poor?
To actually answer that part, being pretty blunt, the market GWR aim for with the sleeper are those travelling to and from London, not Reading. And the timings will be set to best suit the market they are actually aiming for.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
Indeed. One further fix would be to allow the double back for free if you have used the Sleeper. But to be honest I would happily pay 20 quid for the extra kip.
In BR days it was advertised that passengers travelling to and from Reading could join or leave at Paddington by paying the single fare between Reading and Paddington
 

tornado

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
439
I understand that the main market is Paddington, however given the thousands who visit Cornwall every Summer for Tourism the currrent sleeper doesn't suit them well unless they happen to live in central London. I wonder if anyone has considered the business case of summer sleepers to cornwall from various parts of England?

The roads down there are choked in the summer so I'm sure many would think about other options.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In BR days it was advertised that passengers travelling to and from Reading could join or leave at Paddington by paying the single fare between Reading and Paddington

I guess that means "if you've booked a ticket from Reading to the Westcountry you can buy a single from Paddington to Reading and join the Sleeper at Paddington" rather than "if you are at Reading and want to go to Paddington to join it you can buy a single to Paddington and go there", which is just a tiny bit obvious :)
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,887
Location
East Anglia
I understand that the main market is Paddington, however given the thousands who visit Cornwall every Summer for Tourism the currrent sleeper doesn't suit them well unless they happen to live in central London. I wonder if anyone has considered the business case of summer sleepers to cornwall from various parts of England?

The roads down there are choked in the summer so I'm sure many would think about other options.
Sleepers are enormously unprofitable. In fact it was always said they keep the railway accountants awake at night. The chances of any additional routes in the UK are highly unlikely. Remember the nightly Edinburgh/Glasgow-Plymouth & even that was chopped by BR before privatisation.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
I guess that means "if you've booked a ticket from Reading to the Westcountry you can buy a single from Paddington to Reading and join the Sleeper at Paddington" rather than "if you are at Reading and want to go to Paddington to join it you can buy a single to Paddington and go there", which is just a tiny bit obvious :)
No - its the latter! If you are at Reading and want to go Penzance - you buy a Reading to Penzance ticket and then you buy a Reading to Paddington ticket to join the sleeper earlier at Paddington.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
No - its the latter! If you are at Reading and want to go Penzance - you buy a Reading to Penzance ticket and then you buy a Reading to Paddington ticket to join the sleeper earlier at Paddington.

You would need in that case to buy a Reading-Paddington and Paddington-Reading ticket (or a return).

It's an easement because normally you could not combine Paddington-Reading and Reading-Penzance on the sleeper because it is pick up only at Reading.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,465
Location
Somerset
You would need in that case to buy a Reading-Paddington and Paddington-Reading ticket (or a return).

It's an easement because normally you could not combine Paddington-Reading and Reading-Penzance on the sleeper because it is pick up only at Reading.
This is referring to BR days. As the sleeper berth you’ve booked from Reading to Penzance would earn no revenue between Paddington and Reading and as up trains from Reading would be lightly loaded, they were effectively gaining a single fare from Reading to Paddington which would otherwise not have been bought. Only an accountant would view it as a single fare between Paddington and Reading lost!
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
You would need in that case to buy a Reading-Paddington and Paddington-Reading ticket (or a return).

It's an easement because normally you could not combine Paddington-Reading and Reading-Penzance on the sleeper because it is pick up only at Reading.
No - you didn't need to buy a return - it clearly refers to just having to buy a single ticket.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,028
Location
London
I was recently considering the GWR sleeper service to Cornwall. As somebody who lives in the SE outside London, Reading is far more convenient for me to join than Paddington.

The timings from Reading are 00.50am joining westbound, and 4am getting off eastbound. In both cases you'd be pushed to get 5 hours sleep on the train if you went to Penzance. I can't imagine anybody would consider this an attractive option, especially for leisure.

Why are these timings so poor? I thought of two solutions myself:

Westbound - leave Paddington at 10.45pm instead of 11.45pm, allowing getting on at Reading before Midnight. Extra dwell time in Plymouth to make up for the earlier arrival.

Esstbound - stop somewhere between Taunton and Reading for an hour or two!

Hop up to Paddington in 25 mins and join there? Reading really isn't the main market. Will be more costly (although you could get a stopper) of course, but as I said its mainly to cater for London - Cornwall demand.
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,915
Location
Cambridge, UK
I understand that the main market is Paddington, however given the thousands who visit Cornwall every Summer for Tourism the currrent sleeper doesn't suit them well unless they happen to live in central London. I wonder if anyone has considered the business case of summer sleepers to cornwall from various parts of England?

The roads down there are choked in the summer so I'm sure many would think about other options.
40-50 years ago (and earlier) BR ran quite a few 'Summer Saturday' extra trains to the West Country from the North and Midlands, some of which were overnight seated trains but I don't think any of them carried sleeping cars - I suspect the market wasn't there, at least at a price that would have been profitable, and probably the extra sleeper stock wasn't available either.

I think most people wouldn't choose to travel overnight anyway when there are decent daytime alternatives - as you point out, the Cornish sleeper service journey time is effectively too short for decent night's sleep anyway...
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,465
Location
Somerset
40-50 years ago (and earlier) BR ran quite a few 'Summer Saturday' extra trains to the West Country from the North and Midlands, some of which were overnight seated trains

.and later! The odd FO late night IC down to the West Country was still running at the end of the 1980s - only just over 30 years ago.
 

Tryfan

Member
Joined
4 May 2021
Messages
51
Location
Peak District
I wonder if anyone has considered the business case of summer sleepers to cornwall from various parts of England?

The roads down there are choked in the summer so I'm sure many would think about other options.
If only they could offer an economic service where you could take your car on the train as well. They could call it Motorail ;)

Having just faced a three hour delay on the journey back up the M5 I’d seriously consider it if there was a competitively priced alternative
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
If only they could offer an economic service where you could take your car on the train as well. They could call it Motorail ;)
Do you mean economic for the operator (ie not losing money) or economic for the customer (not costing too much more than motoring).
Having just faced a three hour delay on the journey back up the M5 I’d seriously consider it if there was a competitively priced alternative
It seems to have been particularly dire this year.
 

Tryfan

Member
Joined
4 May 2021
Messages
51
Location
Peak District
Do you mean economic for the operator (ie not losing money) or economic for the customer (not costing too much more than motoring).

It seems to have been particularly dire this year.
Economic for the customer:)

and yes dire journey, much worse than normal
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
I understand that the main market is Paddington, however given the thousands who visit Cornwall every Summer for Tourism the currrent sleeper doesn't suit them well unless they happen to live in central London. I wonder if anyone has considered the business case of summer sleepers to cornwall from various parts of England?

The roads down there are choked in the summer so I'm sure many would think about other options.
Paddington will be the station of Choice for most of south east England not just Central London. South of the Thames we do have the North Downs Line to Reading but that will only be of interest to stations on the line. Even here in West Sussex if we want to go to Reading most people will go via Central London. This will be more so when Crossrail opens and Paddington is just one change at Faringdon. Presumably this will be the case for people on the ECML and MML north of London too.
 

cyclebike

Member
Joined
25 May 2020
Messages
43
Location
Hants
While I agree that the Reading schedule is rather anti-social, I have on occasion joined the sleeper there for Cornwall, as the departure time is so late I can leave work after a late shift, cycle to Reading, and still make the train ... so it has its uses (normally the only, or one of very few, passengers joining there)

I haven't alighted at Reading, however - the arrival time is early, but perversely not quite early enough for me to make it to work in time for an early shift!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top