• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CR165022

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2019
Messages
1,449
Location
Buckinghamshire
The site owner has also missed the other 8 X 3 cars that include a proper centre vehicle, there are 8 with Northern as well as the single 3 car with GWR. 158752-759 IIRC.
Im one of the people that are working on it, there are still some things that are inaccurate, the 158s will be updated very soon :)
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Im one of the people that are working on it, there are still some things that are inaccurate, the 158s will be updated very soon
No criticism intended. In fact there was a short thread here a few days ago that illustrated how complicated the “3 car” history is, it’s been a bit of a moving target over the years…

 

Ayman Ilham

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2016
Messages
462
Location
Blackburn (Lancs)
I took it in December, all the way from Cardiff to Portsmouth Harbour, and it was definitely three carriages then. I was glad of the third carriage as it ensured me a table to myself the whole way!
Are the seats still comfortable though? Like, in terms of their plushness and shape of backrest. Or did you get lucky with declassified first class ;) Also, are there actually plans to refurb them to be more suitable for longer journeys like this, such as 2+2 seating with full tables and armrests? Or are they just rumours?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Are the seats still comfortable though? Like, in terms of their plushness and shape of backrest. Or did you get lucky with declassified first class ;) Also, are there actually plans to refurb them to be more suitable for longer journeys like this, such as 2+2 seating with full tables and armrests? Or are they just rumours?
There is no first class on Great Western 158s, declassified or otherwise. I’m talking about 158.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Are the seats still comfortable though? Like, in terms of their plushness and shape of backrest. Or did you get lucky with declassified first class ;) Also, are there actually plans to refurb them to be more suitable for longer journeys like this, such as 2+2 seating with full tables and armrests? Or are they just rumours?
The GWR Turbos are definitely not being re-seated. There’s a separate thread about their upgrade in the rolling stock forum here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/autumn-refresh-for-gwr-class-166-turbos.222366/
 

REVUpminster

Established Member
Joined
3 Jan 2021
Messages
1,316
Location
Paignton
Today is the first time for a a while that 3 166s are operating Paignton-Exmouth. There's generally always two. Probably because St Ives is operating two 150s from last Monday.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,763
Today is the first time for a a while that 3 166s are operating Paignton-Exmouth. There's generally always two. Probably because St Ives is operating two 150s from last Monday.
That's good stuff - I believe a 3-car 166 has about 5 to 10 more seats than a 4-car GWR Class 150/2!
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,364
Today is the first time for a a while that 3 166s are operating Paignton-Exmouth. There's generally always two. Probably because St Ives is operating two 150s from last Monday.
Another 150 also required for Okehampton from May timetable change
 

northernbelle

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2018
Messages
777
Today is the first time for a a while that 3 166s are operating Paignton-Exmouth. There's generally always two. Probably because St Ives is operating two 150s from last Monday.
Presumably enabled by the transfer of the first 3-car Class 165 from Reading to Bristol earlier this week.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I’m absolutely furious to see three of the Cardiff Portsmouth diagrams are two carriage 165s today (131, 133, 134)

I make this journey in its entirety every month and even the regular four carriage 158/five carriage 165+166 formation I make is often busy, and at least on a 166 I have the table section or declassified first class for the almost four hour journey. Occasionally I appreciate you’re going to get a solo two carriage 165 slip onto the service every now and then, but three takes the biscuit particularly with Cardiff, Bristol, Southampton and Portsmouth Uni students using the service heavily for Easter break on Saturdays.

If the 1530 is not the same 4-158 it was last week, I reckon I’ll be staying in Diff until Monday rather than suffering that journey on a 2-165. Call me dramatic if you wish; it won’t change my feelings.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,486
I’m absolutely furious to see three of the Cardiff Portsmouth diagrams are two carriage 165s today (131, 133, 134)

I make this journey in its entirety every month and even the regular four carriage 158/five carriage 165+166 formation I make is often busy, and at least on a 166 I have the table section or declassified first class for the almost four hour journey. Occasionally I appreciate you’re going to get a solo two carriage 165 slip onto the service every now and then, but three takes the biscuit particularly with Cardiff, Bristol, Southampton and Portsmouth Uni students using the service heavily for Easter break on Saturdays.

If the 1530 is not the same 4-158 it was last week, I reckon I’ll be staying in Diff until Monday rather than suffering that journey on a 2-165. Call me dramatic if you wish; it won’t change my feelings.

Assuming you mean today as in Saturday 2nd April? The 8 diagrams are as follows:

2 circuits are 3 car 158s
2 circuits are 3 car 166s
1 circuit is 5 car 158s
3 circuits are 5 car 16Xs

Can’t see any solo 2 car 165s
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
I’m absolutely furious to see three of the Cardiff Portsmouth diagrams are two carriage 165s today (131, 133, 134)

I make this journey in its entirety every month and even the regular four carriage 158/five carriage 165+166 formation I make is often busy, and at least on a 166 I have the table section or declassified first class for the almost four hour journey. Occasionally I appreciate you’re going to get a solo two carriage 165 slip onto the service every now and then, but three takes the biscuit particularly with Cardiff, Bristol, Southampton and Portsmouth Uni students using the service heavily for Easter break on Saturdays.

If the 1530 is not the same 4-158 it was last week, I reckon I’ll be staying in Diff until Monday rather than suffering that journey on a 2-165. Call me dramatic if you wish; it won’t change my feelings.
3 car 158 seems to be allocated

 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Assuming you mean today as in Saturday 2nd April? The 8 diagrams are as follows:

2 circuits are 3 car 158s
2 circuits are 3 car 166s
1 circuit is 5 car 158s
3 circuits are 5 car 16Xs

Can’t see any solo 2 car 165s
Yes, it appears RTT played a trick on me as the 5 carriage Turbo formations were showing the 165 only all through the night. I’ll take a nice roomy 5 carriage 158 formation I think.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,486
3 car 158 seems to be allocated


The OP seems to have mis understood the allocations and how they aren’t firmed up at 01.00 when he posted but you have to wait till the small hours when they have been fully allocated off exam etc.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yes, it appears RTT played a trick on me as the 5 carriage Turbo formations were showing the 165 only all through the night. I’ll take a nice roomy 5 carriage 158 formation I think.

You need to leave it till around 04.00 to confirm the formations. Units will start to be allocated to diagrams during the night but a 5 car diagram will require 2 units to be allocated and at the moment you checked only the 165s had been allocated.
 
Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
I saw a 5 carriage 166/165 formation at Westbury this evening that was full and standing. I know these services can be very busy in the week, but it's quite impressive how the additional capacity gets completely swallowed up at weekends. A few Sundays ago I was on a 5 car-158 formation that had nearly every seat taken with people stood in the vestibules/sitting in the luggage racks. Clearly a popular route for leisure travel!
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,326
I saw a 5 carriage 166/165 formation at Westbury this evening that was full and standing. I know these services can be very busy in the week, but it's quite impressive how the additional capacity gets completely swallowed up at weekends. A few Sundays ago I was on a 5 car-158 formation that had nearly every seat taken with people stood in the vestibules/sitting in the luggage racks. Clearly a popular route for leisure travel!
I used the 1922 from Bristol to Portsmouth last night and was a 3 car 166. What service was that? The service after was cancelled and lucky I got the earlier service. Not sure the solution is for this service. Always prefer a 158 on the line though not really common.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
I used the 1922 from Bristol to Portsmouth last night and was a 3 car 166. What service was that? The service after was cancelled and lucky I got the earlier service. Not sure the solution is for this service. Always prefer a 158 on the line though not really common.
It was this one.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I used the 1922 from Bristol to Portsmouth last night and was a 3 car 166. What service was that? The service after was cancelled and lucky I got the earlier service. Not sure the solution is for this service. Always prefer a 158 on the line though not really common.
The 1622/1722/2022 were 158s, so that’s unlucky.
If you like 158s, opt for what leave Cardiff at 1330/1430 and the rest of the diagram on weekdays as those are 4-158.
 

REVUpminster

Established Member
Joined
3 Jan 2021
Messages
1,316
Location
Paignton
Four 166s down here this morning. 218,211,207 working Paignton-Exmouth and 203 working Barnstaple. Sign of things to come.

St Ives back to one 150.
 

REVUpminster

Established Member
Joined
3 Jan 2021
Messages
1,316
Location
Paignton
The future has arrived?? 165101 working Paignton-Exmouth. Is it the first 3 car? 3 166s on Monday, only 1 on Thursday and none today. 2 x 2car 158s working Barnstaple and a 3 car working Paignton-Exmouth which has happened 3 times this week.

Weird week a HST castle class did an Exeter-Paignton trip this week with a 150 doing the Exeter-Exmouth part.
 
Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,475
Location
Somerset
The future has arrived?? 165101 working Paignton-Exmouth. Is it the first 3 car? 3 166s on Monday, only 1 on Thursday and none today. 2 x 2car 158s working Barnstaple and a 3 car working Paignton-Exmouth which has happened 3 times this week.

Weird week a HST castle class did an Exeter-Paignton trip this week with a 150 doing the Exeter-Exmouth part.
It’s getting some nice trips to the seaside - was heading to Weymouth yesterday afternoon.
 

Envoy

Established Member
Joined
29 Aug 2014
Messages
3,159
I saw a 5 carriage 166/165 formation at Westbury this evening that was full and standing. I know these services can be very busy in the week, but it's quite impressive how the additional capacity gets completely swallowed up at weekends. A few Sundays ago I was on a 5 car-158 formation that had nearly every seat taken with people stood in the vestibules/sitting in the luggage racks. Clearly a popular route for leisure travel!
Clearly, if 5 cars are already reaching full capacity, then when new trains are ordered, they need to take this into account. Perhaps this route needs a longer limited stop express service backed up by stoppers which cater for the shorter platforms?
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
Clearly, if 5 cars are already reaching full capacity, then when new trains are ordered, they need to take this into account. Perhaps this route needs a longer limited stop express service backed up by stoppers which cater for the shorter platforms?

I believe that part of the WECA-funded MetroWest timetable enhancements include a third train each hour between Bristol and Westbury. The overcrowding is usually limited to the Bristol/Bath/Westbury section at certain times of day.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,268
Location
West Wiltshire
I saw a 5 carriage 166/165 formation at Westbury this evening that was full and standing. I know these services can be very busy in the week, but it's quite impressive how the additional capacity gets completely swallowed up at weekends. A few Sundays ago I was on a 5 car-158 formation that had nearly every seat taken with people stood in the vestibules/sitting in the luggage racks. Clearly a popular route for leisure travel!

Yes, it happend on a few trains on weekends, GWR either need to boost the frequency, or do a few quick platform extensions to allow 6car workings.

It has also been mentioned in the Weymouth (via Yeovil) thread and the Cotswold line thread how GWR don’t seem to have enough trains for their weekend services.

Really they should have got some surplus east coast (or Norwich) sets to put on Paddington-Cardiff at weekends, to free up the bi-modes. No good waiting for surplus diesel trains to be available.
 

Top