Mitchell Hurd
On Moderation
- Joined
- 28 Oct 2017
- Messages
- 1,763
I hope the green GWR brand is here for good like the LNER brand, particularly as I wasn't around in their original times of 1923-1947!
It would make a change! That route must have had more liveries per operator than anywhere else in the country.I hope the green GWR brand is here for good like the LNER brand, particularly as I wasn't around in their original times of 1923-1947!
Even the 'True GWR'© had several livery variations over the years...!I hope the green GWR brand is here for good like the LNER brand, particularly as I wasn't around in their original times of 1923-1947!
Drab is absolutely the right word to descrine GWR 800s. Internally drab too. I like the LNER Azuma livery- colourful and sharp and shows the whole train off well. Much lighter and airier inside too.Even the 'True GWR'© had several livery variations over the years...!
Only the locomotives were Brunswick Green - similar in tone to the Class 80X trains except they were glossy rather than the matt finish seen on many of the vinyl-ed coaches. However mainline coaching stock was painted in chocolate and cream, the cream running as a band along the windows. The GWR's diesel railcars, early precursors of the Class 80X, were also painted in chocolate and cream.
To my eyes all dark green trains look wrong - they are much too drab, almost like Army camouflage, certainly in dark, dank weather and at night. They are, after all, coaches so chocolate and cream would be ideal - and it goes so well with the sandstone cliffs on the Devon coast!
Drab is absolutely the right word to descrine GWR 800s. Internally drab too. I like the LNER Azuma livery- colourful and sharp and shows the whole train off well. Much lighter and airier inside too.
Even the 'True GWR'© had several livery variations over the years...!
Only the locomotives were Brunswick Green - similar in tone to the Class 80X trains except they were glossy rather than the matt finish seen on many of the vinyl-ed coaches. However mainline coaching stock was painted in chocolate and cream, the cream running as a band along the windows. The GWR's diesel railcars, early precursors of the Class 80X, were also painted in chocolate and cream.
To my eyes all dark green trains look wrong - they are much too drab, almost like Army camouflage, certainly in dark, dank weather and at night. They are, after all, coaches so chocolate and cream would be ideal - and it goes so well with the sandstone cliffs on the Devon coast!
I know, but the OP wrote about 1923 to 1947 and simplification is the enemy of accuracy and completeness.Brunswick green is quite bit lighter than the green used for the current GWR livery - the difference is clear to see when 57604, in its GWR 175 Brunswick green livery, works the Night Riviera.
GWR coaching stock was painted all-over brown from 1908-12 and crimson lake was used from 1912-22 - the Great Western Society's rebuilt steam railmotor is painted in this livery
For part of the Second World War, coaches that needed a repaint were turned out in all-over red-brown as an economy measure - the GWS has a Collett 1940-built composite coach at Didcot turned out like this.