• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Auto Coach 92 and GWR Autotrains

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple simon

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
728
Location
Suburban London
I am curious, maybe someone knows the answers..

The recently restored GWR Auto coach No.92 which is at the Didcot Railway Centre has a corridor connection at one end (ie: the end without the driving controls). How come? Would the corridor connection have ever been used?

P1300874a.jpg


I ask because there would have been zero chance of it being used had it been paired with a Railmotor, whilst if used on on an ordinary loco hauled train then only having a corridor connection at one end would have been sub-optimal (unless it was the last / end carriage of that train!)

P1300865a.jpg


The other thing I am curious about is whether there were any trailer carriages which were fitted with mechanical rodding for autotrains (which used steam locomotives) but were not fitted with train driving controls? Such vehicles would have been used in auto-trains between the locomotive and the auto-coach.

Thanks

Simon
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I believe the answer is that when used with a steam locomotive it was actually possible to operate up to 4 coaches in one formation:
[Autocoach]-[Auto?coach]-[Loco]-[Auto?coach]-[Autocoach]

So the loco would be in the middle with a fireman, and then the driver would drive from one of the outward end cabs. Presumably (this is the bit I'm unsure about) the corridor connection allowed passengers to move between the two coaches at their end of the train. I presume all 4 would have had to have been autocoaches but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon!
 

simple simon

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
728
Location
Suburban London
I believe the answer is that when used with a steam locomotive it was actually possible to operate up to 4 coaches in one formation:
[Autocoach]-[Auto?coach]-[Loco]-[Auto?coach]-[Autocoach]

So the loco would be in the middle with a fireman, and then the driver would drive from one of the outward end cabs. Presumably (this is the bit I'm unsure about) the corridor connection allowed passengers to move between the two coaches at their end of the train. I presume all 4 would have had to have been autocoaches but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon!

Thanks, I did suspect this but am also unsure about the same thing that you are unsure about.

I suspect that I will have to go to the Didcot Railway Centre or somewhere where they run autocoaches (South Devon Raiwlay) to find out!

Simon
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Thanks, I did suspect this but am also unsure about the same thing that you are unsure about.

I suspect that I will have to go to the Didcot Railway Centre or somewhere where they run autocoaches (South Devon Raiwlay) to find out!

Simon

Which begs the question - do any other auto carriages in preservation have corridor connections? I can't think of any. The Torbay and Dartmouth used to use them as observation cars alongside their Devon Belle car from what I remember so maybe they did, but I'm not sure if they use them still, does anyone else know? Marky T would probably know the answer.
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
Although, alas, none survived into preservation, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's 18 Railmotor coaches built from 1906 onwards were also fitted with vestibule corridor connections. Although my reference books have several photographs, there is scant information on exactly how it worked with two coaches if the train was being driven from the coach rather than the footplate. There may, however, be a hint contained in the description of the second coach as being a "trailer." Possibly (pure guesswork) the additional trailers were specially adapted with a driving cab at one end, although no specific mention is made of this.
 

simple simon

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
728
Location
Suburban London
Thanks Darren.

I have subsequently learnt that the GWR also used these auto-trailers which had corridor connections on ordinary trains where they replaced coaches with brake compartments.

As I understand it, the vacuum brake lever still worked when the auto-trailer was attached to ordinary trains, plus of course there was the hand brake as well.

Simon
 

cav1975

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
456
Which begs the question - do any other auto carriages in preservation have corridor connections? I can't think of any. The Torbay and Dartmouth used to use them as observation cars alongside their Devon Belle car from what I remember so maybe they did, but I'm not sure if they use them still, does anyone else know? Marky T would probably know the answer.

The two coach LCDR push pull set on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway is fitted with corridor connections between the two 4 wheel vehicles.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top