• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford to Farnborough Main / North price differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I was looking up tickets from Guildford to Farnborough stations tomorrow (Sunday) and was surprised to find that a full price off peak single to Farnborough North was £5.70 an anytime ticket to Farnborough Main via Woking was £5.60 Anytime and £5.50 off peak.

I use to think the price to Farnborough stations was the same. I would have expected the Farnborough North one to be the cheapest at least but not so.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Because the tickets are priced by different TOCs (GWR & SWT)
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,288
Location
Connah's Quay
Both of the prices you quote are for tickets from Guildford to Farnborough Stations. The way I see it, you pay more for a less restrictive Any Permitted ticket than you do for a more restrictive Via Woking one. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.
 

Bill Badger

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
298
The any permitted Farnborough to Woking ticket is usually cheaper than the more restrictive via Woking one!!

For example:

Off-peak day return (any permitted) £5.80
Off-peak day return (via Woking) £8.80
Super Off-peak day return (via Woking) £6.70

Annoyingly the ticket machines at Farnborough Main only offer the via Woking variant
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I use to think the price to Farnborough stations was the same. I would have expected the Farnborough North one to be the cheapest at least but not so.
Are you using NRE? If so, this is a confusing site and it's best avoided where practicable.

Try this website: http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=GLD&dest=0260

It shows that the tickets are issued to "Farnborough Stations" and it also shows who sets the fares.

For singles it is cheaper to purchase route: "via Woking", but for returns it's a rather complicated situation. This complexity is consistent with railway ticketing pricing generally. There is often no logic to it. As is often the case, the relevant companies have their own policies and pricing strategies and this leads to anomalies and inconsistencies (in fact, they are not allowed to collude to raise fares or worsen choice for customers, though they can co-operate for the benefit of passengers)
 

FenMan

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
1,542
Both of the prices you quote are for tickets from Guildford to Farnborough Stations. The way I see it, you pay more for a less restrictive Any Permitted ticket than you do for a more restrictive Via Woking one. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

There's a similar situation one station up the NDL, Blackwater, but in reverse. The Any Permitted off peak ticket (priced by GWR) to very popular destination is cheaper than the route-restricted alternative (priced by SWT).
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Both of the prices you quote are for tickets from Guildford to Farnborough Stations. The way I see it, you pay more for a less restrictive Any Permitted ticket than you do for a more restrictive Via Woking one. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Ah well National Rail Enquiries App doesn't say on the first screen whatvthe ticket restrictions are. They could do a lot more to improve the app but when in doing the so called improvements, they might remove the ability to go bavk time for the same day, providing its not gone midnight.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Are you using NRE? If so, this is a confusing site and it's best avoided where practicable.

Try this website: http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=GLD&dest=0260

It shows that the tickets are issued to "Farnborough Stations" and it also shows who sets the fares.

For singles it is cheaper to purchase route: "via Woking", but for returns it's a rather complicated situation. This complexity is consistent with railway ticketing pricing generally. There is often no logic to it. As is often the case, the relevant companies have their own policies and pricing strategies and this leads to anomalies and inconsistencies (in fact, they are not allowed to collude to raise fares or worsen choice for customers, though they can co-operate for the benefit of passengers)
I was actually using the NRE app on my mobile. I use it rather a lot for simple lookup's. I was actually potentially going to Farnborough but in the end I went to Aldershot.

I probably don't use BR fares as often as I should.


Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top