• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess what I travelled on today?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hougtimo

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2008
Messages
108
A class 158. Although this was no ordinary class 158, oh no, let me tell you.

I was Sat on Seamer station this morning absolutely roasting. Like properly mafting. I was dreading my hour and a half journey back to Hull in the heat, with only four workable windows that don't really let much airflow in, but wait! I boarded the train and the aircon ACTUALLY worked! I was, and still am, amazed.

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,110
Location
Redcar
Never had an issue on Northern 158s (at least those that work on the East Yorkshire services) with the Air-con. Indeed last year it was quite something to step off the sweltering platform at Doncaster and arrive into an icebox like 158. Bliss.
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
158755's centre coach is one example of an icebox

I find the ATW 158s to be the worst for air con although post refurb 158840 seemed to have improved a lot.
 
Last edited:

hougtimo

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2008
Messages
108
It's my first experience of aircon working on a northern 158, so far! Maybe they put the duffers on the scarborough services!
 

blackfive460

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
869
Must be a good day for the Yorkshire Coast today. AC was a little too cool in the front half of the 10:00 ex Scarborough this morning. Not sure about the back half as I did notice the windows had been opened.
The 14:44 ex Hull made up for it though. While the AC seemed to be working at least a bit, the line north of Bridlington wasn't but the replacement bus managed to be 62 minutes late into Scarborough. In guess I'll be adding to my collection of vouchers...
 

hougtimo

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2008
Messages
108
Must be a good day for the Yorkshire Coast today. AC was a little too cool in the front half of the 10:00 ex Scarborough this morning. Not sure about the back half as I did notice the windows had been opened.
The 14:44 ex Hull made up for it though. While the AC seemed to be working at least a bit, the line north of Bridlington wasn't but the replacement bus managed to be 62 minutes late into Scarborough. In guess I'll be adding to my collection of vouchers...
Why was there a bus replacement?


 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I tend to find the ex-FNW 158s pretty good with air-con actually. The ex-Central units generally seem to be broken and the Metro 158s don't even have any! :P
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Since refurbishment I've found the EMT 158s to usually have working air-con.

At times like this, that's why I'm glad they follow me around - whatever EMT journey I take, it's always a 158...
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Most Northern 158s i used over 3-days last weekend where ok. Back on my patch however i have passed several EMT 158s with hopper windows open across the Fens during this recent hot spell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top