michael769
Established Member
- Joined
- 9 Oct 2005
- Messages
- 2,008
In my experience, at least 75% are thinking "I've got away with it before, why is it not working this time...".
I think you are being over generous there..... I'd put it closer to 95%!
In my experience, at least 75% are thinking "I've got away with it before, why is it not working this time...".
Do bear in mind, though, that not all of your colleagues are as knowledgeable or as professional as you. I've seen numerous occasions where a guard/RPI has waded in guns blazing, unprovoked, despite the customer having a valid ticket (or indeed when the fabled "man in the platform" has been real - yes, FCC staff at STP/KGX who don't know how to excess an off-peak ticket, I'm looking at you...)
In those situations, the behaviour of the RPI in question can make it very difficult to continue to stand your ground politely, particularly when, for example, they are shouting at your wife. And again, as much as you try to keep yourself free of prejudice, it does rather taint your dealings with other RPIs.
The only point you made I would take issue with is when you say the passenger is thinking "I just made an honest mistake". In my experience, at least 75% are thinking "I've got away with it before, why is it not working this time...".
People in this country (and, I suspect, many other Western countries) are conditioned to expect a very conciliatory attitude from front-line customer service professionals. It's not the oft-quoted "the customer is always right" - as a lot of the time they're not! - but in most cases, the person serving you is expected to be friendly and helpful, and when they have to give you bad news they're always apologetic and eager to try and mitigate any loss or damage caused to you.
As a Guard myself, it makes me weep to hear some of the tales of how a small minority of woefully inept colleagues in the grade behave towards sometimes completely innocent customers. Sadly there remains an attitude among some that they are the boss, and anybody who disagrees with them can go to hell. My personal view is that all TOCs should be aware of who these people are, and should invest whatever is required in additional training to stamp it out.
See, this does rather betray a difference in attitudes between us - I think that people are generally truthful and tend to take what people say at face value. While obviously your experience has taught you that a lot of people will lie or otherwise distort the truth, and so nobody can be trusted... I think this is a recurring theme in the discussions on this board, and very relevant to this topic: while the guards/RPIs (and the TOCs that employ them) acknowledge that good people sometimes make honest mistakes, the sheer potential for abuse means that everyone must be treated as if they were a deliberate fare evader.
And what impression does that leave me with? What's my attitude towards the railway company now? And to be honest I can even empathise with people who subsequently try to 'bend' the rules in order to 'even the score'. (it doesn't mean I agree with them, but I can empathise.)
When I asked my question, the first thing that the ticket clerk did was to ask me what time I arrived at King's Cross. When I told him, his reply was "How do I know that you weren't late and have just turned up now?
You could have just turned up now, but what difference would it have made if the train was cancelled anyway??
Yes, it would have meant you were lucky, but I can't see how they could say 'well, yes, the train was cancelled and you're entitled to travel on a later train - but as you were late, you should have missed it so tough'.
When I asked my question, the first thing that the ticket clerk did was to ask me what time I arrived at King's Cross. When I told him, his reply was "How do I know that you weren't late and have just turned up now?"
Absolutely, I couldn't see what the issue was either. If people turning up late for cancelled trains was such an issue, there were many other (polite) ways that the clerk could have asked me.You could have just turned up now, but what difference would it have made if the train was cancelled anyway??
Yes, it would have meant you were lucky, but I can't see how they could say 'well, yes, the train was cancelled and you're entitled to travel on a later train - but as you were late, you should have missed it so tough'.
Yes, but without any evidence to the contrary, why did the clerk instantly assume that I wasn't there in good time?Strictly speaking it is a condition of the Advance ticket, you must be at the origin station in good time.
I read that as "for some unknown reason no tickets (of any kind) where not available from your chosen web retailer", please correct me if I am wrong. If you couldn't buy a ticket of any type online for whatever reason, there are other options for buying a ticket.
The staff at Watford should excess the Advance ticket to the cheapest available ticket that allows a break of journey (probably including a £10 admin fee for change of journey plans). At worst it would be a penalty fare that you could appeal against. They cannot issue fines.
If you could prove a 'paper trail' for the tweets to and from LM, then maybe customer services *might* refund that excess as 'a gesture of goodwill', but I have to say that the ticket conditions are quite specific and if you bought it online I would find it hard to believe that you didn't click on a tickbox to say you had read the terms and conditions at the time of sale. If the tweets to LM preceded the purchase (this is not the impression I get from your post) then that may make a difference.
....
Yes, but without any evidence to the contrary, why did the clerk instantly assume that I wasn't there in good time?
And what next? Passengers not being allowed to board a delayed train on the basis that they weren't on the platform at the scheduled time?!?!
Unless, of course, they saw there was already a queue and worked out that going to the food outlet would not mean they got seen to any later....Obviously I wasn't there, but I imagine most people who want to sort out onward travel would queue up and ask as soon as they found out their train was cancelled, rather than go and find a food outlet and come back.
Unless, of course, they saw there was already a queue and worked out that going to the food outlet would not mean they got seen to any later.
We also have a duty to protect our revenue, both on behalf of our employer, and on behalf of all passengers and taxpayers whom are paying to use and support the rail network.Their function is to provide a service to the travelling public on behalf of their employers and the government.
Hmmm, the phrase "How do I know that you weren't late and have just turned up now?" is quite an accusatory statement - how else is one expected to interpret it?Did they assume though? Certainly they asked a question I wouldn't have asked, but the question, to me atleast, doesn't seem to assume anything. I think you have read too much into the question.
Really? I did say that the place was a scrum. Seemed a reasonable thing for me to do rather than standing in a long queue. YMMV.Obviously I wasn't there, but I imagine most people who want to sort out onward travel would queue up and ask as soon as they found out their train was cancelled, rather than go and find a food outlet and come back.
It seems clear to me that you feel customer service isn't something that businesses should aspire to and is merely 'pandering' to the customer.Are you suggesting that this role should be abandoned in the name of "customer service"?
And good customer service actually increases revenue - fact.
Exactly. This was part of the point of my previous couple of posts - by being more flexible and willing to listen to the customer, they go away with a good impression of the railways, rather than feeling like they've been maneuvered into a corner and forced to pay for their honest mistake.
However, attempts to convey this point in this thread have so far been met with "It's a losing battle, you'll never win over the press!" - forgetting that the journalists who make up the press are people too, many of whom travel on trains! Improving attitudes and consumer response overall will lead to a gradual change in the public opinion of the TOCs.
It doesn't help that those who have made honest mistakes are more likely to be panicked and flustered when speaking with a guard/RPI (as they're not used to having to defend themselves like this), and may accidentally say something that the guard can interpret as a further breach of the rules, leading to a court summons rather than a penalty fare. In contrast, the deliberate fare evader will know exactly what to say (and what not to say) and consequently will get away "clean" with his £25 penalty. Persistent evaders may find that their total "saving" more than outweighs the cost of the occasional penalty fare...
And good customer service actually increases revenue - fact.
It seems clear to me that you feel customer service isn't something that businesses should aspire to and is merely 'pandering' to the customer.
Yet it is possible to provide good customer service without affecting reve evnue. Not automatically assuming that every customer is trying it on is a good place to start.
And good customer service actually increases revenue - fact.
SS4 said:This whole debacle reminds me of a line from Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series: How dare you make Joey uphold his end of the bargain!
And good customer service actually increases revenue - fact.
Do you really think that bad customer service will help a company to thrive?Source please?
However, you are confusing good customer service with "the customer is always right" mentality. No I'm not, And I've already given one very personal example of my experience as a bank cashier in post #260.
Hmmm, the phrase "How do I know that you weren't late and have just turned up now?" is quite an accusatory statement - how else is one expected to interpret it?....
....I'm quite surprised that you'd try to justify the ticket clerk's position and comments. If it's the kind of treatment that customers receive when trying to do the right thing, then no wonder so many passengers don't bother and just chance it onboard!....
And that's the problem; if you think that 'good' = pandering then you're never going to get it. I urge you to read The Ultimate Question book, it's a fascinating read which surprised me and many of my colleagues. It changed the way we did business - and dramatically increased profits.Question is do the railways gain more with 'bad' customer service (which all too often means not pandering to their every desire and not just in the railway industry) and collecting full/penalty fares or do they earn more from 'good' (i.e. rolling over) customer service?
Well that's the problem. If you treat people badly they will behave badly.You paint the passenger as a paragon of honesty and virtue and many times nothing could be farther from the truth, do you accept the passenger is in the wrong regardless of the staff's further action or lack thereof?
The testimony of staff say a large proportion are chancers and due to their professional experience I'm inclined to believe them. If 90% are chancers that logically implies that 9 out of every 10 people with the wrong ticket are chancers so it's a fair assumption providing the numbers hold. Of course I see the danger that this creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
It's quite easy. He obviously assumed that I was a chance and framed his accusatory question on that basis.You posted that they were assuming something, now you say that it is accusatory. It being accusatory and it showing that an assumption has been made are two different things. Please decide which it is.
So going to the ticket office to check if my Advance ticket needed to be endorsed or exchanged isn't "the right thing to do"? Should I have just boarded the train and chanced it?What you consider the right thing to do is obviously different from what I think it is.
However, you are confusing good customer service with "the customer is always right" mentality. What is so wrong about people paying the due fare for the journey they are making? As this is basically what the arguement is about, dressing it up as "customer care" is missing the point.
And that's the problem; if you think that 'good' = pandering then you're never going to get it. I urge you to read The Ultimate Question book, it's a fascinating read which surprised me and many of my colleagues. It changed the way we did business - and dramatically increased profits.
Well that's the problem. If you treat people badly they will behave badly.
If your mentality is to treat 90% of people as criminals and extract the maximum amount of penalty that you can from them - chances are (if they feel that they have been hard done by) that they might try to 'redress the balance' in the future.
Have you actually read any of my posts?I don't think that good customer service is pandering. I believe that you think it is.
Similarly in other jobs, I have made it plain when meeting customers that we weren't going to meet their request and whilst "we'd be sorry to lose them as a customer we understood if they felt they needed to take their business elsewhere"(!).
Good customer service is not about rolling over and taking it. But neither is it about assuming that every customer is trying to pool the wool over your eyes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---Good customer service is about treating people as you would want to be treated. And that goes as much for the body corporate (including those in their ivory towers who set fares and complex rules) as well the person on the front line.
No, it's not bad customer service at all, if treat people as you would want to be treated. If you do that, I'd say it's good customer service - as fare-paying passengers generally like knowing that everyone else is paying their fair share too.I have already raised the point, which has been ignored, but if anybody could please explain to me, why is it poor customer service to ask someone to pay for their journey, if they are found to have paid the incorrect fare?
....It's quite easy. He obviously assumed that I was a chance and framed his accusatory question on that basis....
....Someone else who hadn't made that assumption would have said something a bit more courteous.....
....Had I been the ticket clerk I would have a) apologised for the disruption, b) confirmed the situation, c) asked if the passenger needed to check about any onward connections and d) I probably would have told the customer it was a good plan to avoid the crush by going to get my food first - because they are the normal human and civil things to do. I would not have assumed they were on the fiddle and I would not have been so discourteous....
....So going to the ticket office to check if my Advance ticket needed to be endorsed or exchanged isn't "the right thing to do"? Should I have just boarded the train and chanced it?
According to jonmorris0844, customer service is better...
in America.![]()
Only if they are exceptionally rude. Whatever the motive, it was discourteous and very poor customer service.Someone else, who had not made any assumptions, may have treated you the same way.
Well being as I've never been a ticket office clerk, obviously not. But I have been in many similar situations dealing with customer's problems. See my earlier posts.I think I can make a safe assumption you have never been in that situation as the clerk if you think that.
What you consider the right thing to do is obviously different from what I think it is.
So going to the ticket office to check if my Advance ticket needed to be endorsed or exchanged isn't "the right thing to do"? Should I have just boarded the train and chanced it?
So to avoid any more assumptions; if my idea of "doing the right thing" is different to yours... please tell me what it is!I didn't say that, that is another assumption you have made (if you had been following my posts throughout this thread you would see I don't think that).
Unlikely as (at that time) there were no East Coast trains in he station. But the answer is simple, I'd have said "you told us the train was cancelled".What would you have done if, in the 20 minutes you had been absent, the train had been reinstated and left on time?
There is a balance to be struck, and, from experience and from what one reads here, there are those in the industry who seem unable to do so. Is the best way of protecting revenue to come in heavily, antagonise the passenger on the assumption that they have knowingly and intentionally done wrong, and risk a court case that brings with it the possibility of loss for the company in terms of revenue loss, costs and potential future loss through bad PR? Or is it to go ahead on the standard business principles of "the customer is right", working with the passenger, and only bringing out the jackboots if it is proven that there has been knowing and intentional wrongdoing. This is not "pandering", it is treating people as real human beings. Funnily enough, people respond to this treatment rather better than they do to waving the regulations at them, and respond, in part, by paying the company more revenue, both at the time, if necessary, and in future usage.We also have a duty to protect our revenue, both on behalf of our employer, and on behalf of all passengers and taxpayers whom are paying to use and support the rail network.
Are you suggesting that this role should be abandoned in the name of "customer service"?