• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guard / conductor jobs in liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
Hi everyone
Just a quick thread as I am looking at going for a guard/ conductor role in liverpool. I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice about where to look and what TOC take on in liverpool, I recently applied for the Merseyrail guard role but unfortunately didn't make it past the paper sift
Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Higgo

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
7
Hi, I have currently been through the Mersyrail application process and am waiting on a final phone call. I believe from conversations from Gaurds etc that Virgin, Trans Pennine Express and Northen Rail are the other operating companies out of Liverpool. Good Luck
 

Higgo

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
7
Jay, over 570 people sent their applications in for these post and their was people there who were unsuccessful last time, you should just send your app in again and hope you get lucky like most of these. The assessment day was just a load of question a few written pieces and a presentation, all the way through they made every effort to put everybody at ease and the day went smoothly. Just waiting for the final verdict now!
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
I am going to keep trying but just a bit gutted as I thought my cover letter was good and I had a chance, I've been checking all the websites for guard/ conductor jobs but nothing so far and merseyrail won't recruit again till next year.
 

WCMLaddict

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2012
Messages
417
I am going to keep trying but just a bit gutted as I thought my cover letter was good and I had a chance, I've been checking all the websites for guard/ conductor jobs but nothing so far and merseyrail won't recruit again till next year.

All I can say is the bolded part isn't necessarily the case ;)
 

Withnailandi

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2012
Messages
130
I am nearly finished doing a conductor course and it is a great job. I have never heard anyone complain too much about it. 500 basic a week plus loads of ot and other enhancements. Wish i'd done it 10 years ago.
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
I know that's why I want to do it think it would be a Brillant job. I hope I'm wrong with them not recruiting again this year but I think they are taking quite a few in the intake that has just been
 

Higgo

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
7
Gutted, no joy with the Gaurd Job. Back to the drawing board for me. Seems like a lot of internals got the jobs so it was not easy to land this role :(
 

baldyman26

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2012
Messages
140
I'm with you all on that one, no joy for me, and it's the 3rd time of asking.
Keep trying. It's the cover letter thing that gets me. I have all the "qualities" that Merseyrail ask for, but don't get anywhere. Do I put too much in or not enough. SO ANNOYING !
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
I know that was the same for me with covering letter it is hard to know where you went wrong but will just have to keep on trying
 

Higgo

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
7
There was 30 ish at the final interview. With the covering letter, as far as I know from asking around, you don't need to worry about writing too much. I suppose it is probably about quality not quantity, and more importantly luck!
 

Withnailandi

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2012
Messages
130
In my opinion it is all about luck, it took me 3 years to even get an interview. I must say though that i am very handsome and my announcements sound like a BA pilot. Keep at it. Never give in.
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
3 years it is a strange way they recruit with just covering letters and cv and it shows as you said it took you 3 years just to get through to interview then you got the job. I thought I done enough on my covering letter to get me into the interview but with 500+ going for 30 interview places I just don't get how they can score a cover letter then you add the internal applications who get through so I think it is really a slim chance of getting to the interview which is really disheartening
 

Higgo

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
7
Does anyone know if any TOC's will be recruiting in the near future, in the Liverpool area?
 

Withnailandi

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2012
Messages
130
3 years it is a strange way they recruit with just covering letters and cv and it shows as you said it took you 3 years just to get through to interview then you got the job. I thought I done enough on my covering letter to get me into the interview but with 500+ going for 30 interview places I just don't get how they can score a cover letter then you add the internal applications who get through so I think it is really a slim chance of getting to the interview which is really disheartening

I don't work for Mersey Rail. The jobs i went for were all advertised and my application hadn't changed much in those 3 years. It is luck, keep applying and you will get in. I used to get really angry after the same automated rejection email.
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
Oh sorry about that thought you worked for merseyrail. I am going to keep trying but it is hard as nothing is out there at the min but will just have to try and be patient. Hope you don't mind me asking but who do you work for withnailandi
 

herdster

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
60
Just noticed conductor vacancy with Northern at Lime st. Better be quick though closes tomorrow 1/5/13
 

Jay mc 99

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
78
Application rushed last night but got it in how long was the job on the site for because I don't think it was up for that long
 

b4zza

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2013
Messages
13
Location
Liverpool
Wasn't there monday lunchtime when I checked, so can only have been on for 24hrs or so. Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top