• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gtr witness statement

masaaasa

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
21
Location
farringdon
I’ve been caught before not paying for my ticket and nothing was investigated this was in novemeber and got given a fine to pay
Today I got caught on the train using a 16-17 saver railway card instead of the one I should be using but it’s just a genuine mistake I have adhd so I get confused and I didn’t know.
What will they do now would it be a hefty fine. Looking at my account it’s only been like 5 trips using that 16-17 railway card but it’s been an accident tho but yeah what will happen
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swedenorer

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2025
Messages
319
Location
Hants
Calm down.

Take a deep breath.

Then...

...tell us where you were caught, your journey, what card you should have been using, and the details of the other trips you mention.

Then we might be able to answer your questions.
 

masaaasa

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
21
Location
farringdon
I was caught in hassocks station on the train I was getting the train from Brighton to London station i have used the 16-17 railcard on a few journeys like 4/5 by accident I have also been caught before not having a ticket and they don’t investigate my account but back then I didn’t use trainline. I have literally always payed my tickets but by accident I used the 16-17 railcard instead of the 16-25

Will they 100% investigate my account and take me to court especially due to me having been caught not buying a ticket before.
I have adhd and autism as well so that’s why I got confused

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I was caught in hassocks station on the train I was getting the train from Brighton to London station i have used the 16-17 railcard on a few journeys like 4/5 by accident I have also been caught before not having a ticket and they don’t investigate my account but back then I didn’t use trainline. I have literally always payed my tickets but by accident I used the 16-17 railcard instead of the 16-25

Will they 100% investigate my account and take me to court especially due to me having been caught not buying a ticket before.
I have adhd and autism as well so that’s why I got confused
Calm down.

Take a deep breath.

Then...

...tell us where you were caught, your journey, what card you should have been using, and the details of the other trips you mention.

Then we might be able to answer your questions.
Can you reply please I am so anxious
 
Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,218
I think the railway authorities might take some convincing that you "accidently" used the wrong railcard.

Then did it again.

And again.

But the good news is that if you engage with them, co-operate and are honest they are likely (despite the previous incident) to offer an out of court settlement.

For the moment all you can do is wait for them to contact you then come back here for advice.
 

masaaasa

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
21
Location
farringdon
I think the railway authorities might take some convincing that you "accidently" used the wrong railcard.

Then did it again.

And again.

But the good news is that if you engage with them, co-operate and are honest they are likely (despite the previous incident) to offer an out of court settlement.

For the moment all you can do is wait for them to contact you then come back here for advice.
Out of 10 how likely is it to be an out of court settlement
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,218
Out of 10 how likely is it to be an out of court settlement
It's not that simple.

But experience suggests a good likelihood of a settlement.

But whether we say 6, 7, 8 or 9 makes no difference.

It will be what it is - wait for them to get in touch.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,317
I used a 16-17 railcard 5-6 tjmes how much do you reckon the fine will be
If the railway are prepared to settle out of court then they normally want the full single train fares for all the journeys you made, plus an admin fee of maybe £150.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,294
Out of 10 how likely is it to be an out of court settlement
Very unlikely to go to court if you follow the advice on this forum and come here for help at each stage of the process.

For now you need to wait until they write to you which could take some time eg 6 to 8 weeks.

They won’t be fining you they will be seeking the money you owe for correct fares plus an admin fee of maybe around £100 if they agree to settle out of court which they usually do if you assure them this won’t happen again.

They may or may not search your past purchases to look for other incorrect tickets but you have no way of knowing if they will until they ask you about it.

Do you actually have a 16-25 railcard already?

What happened on the previous occasion you were stopped? Did you get a Penalty Fare? Was that for the same issue ie using the wrong Railcard discount?
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,544
Location
LBK
Please just buy the correct ticket and stop hiding behind ADHD and autism being excuses for your dishonesty. You are an adult and must take responsibility. As this is the same train company involved, with child fares, again, they may take a dimmer view. It's hard to say what will happen for sure because most people who get caught don't go on and lapse back into fare evasion. So we don't get many cases here like yours. Wait for contact and then come back for advice. And once again, pay the proper fare.
 

masaaasa

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
21
Location
farringdon
Please just buy the correct ticket and stop hiding behind ADHD and autism being excuses for your dishonesty. You are an adult and must take responsibility. As this is the same train company involved, with child fares, again, they may take a dimmer view. It's hard to say what will happen for sure because most people who get caught don't go on and lapse back into fare evasion. So we don't get many cases here like yours. Wait for contact and then come back for advice. And once again, pay the proper fare.
No I have never used a child ticket before like I haven’t been caught I used to buy it when short faring but now ive stoped and genuinely I accidently because I’m always in a rush used a 16-17 railway card and I got an email today from trainline and they basically warned that I’ve been using it and need to stop but yeah
 

Top