• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Uniform Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewKidITB

New Member
Joined
6 Jan 2025
Messages
3
Location
UK
Would anyone happen to have any advice for the GTR Uniform pick for a Platform Assistant role? trying to spend the 410 points judiciously.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Would anyone happen to have any advice for the GTR Uniform pick for a Platform Assistant role? trying to spend the 410 points judiciously.

I can tell you from bad experience that the GTR trousers are universally regarded as being a terrible fit. I ordered two pairs of 38L and the waist measured only 34” when they arrived. I had to get a 42L so I could get them done up.

With platform make sure you stay warm and dry, it can get cold quickly in exposed places.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,512
Location
DTOS A or B
On your login page and order confirmation, it will list your collection point and place of work.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I can tell you from bad experience that the GTR trousers are universally regarded as being a terrible fit. I ordered two pairs of 38L and the waist measured only 34” when they arrived. I had to get a 42L so I could get them done up.

Poor sizing isn't just limited to GTR, my non rail employer changes it's uniform supplier every 5 minutes so sizing consistency is a joke.
 

choochoochoo

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2013
Messages
1,318
I have literally just done this this evening! Email said to use all points but I had 3 left with nothing that cost 3
Why did you have to use all your points ? They don't run out until later this year ?
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Why did you have to use all your points ? They don't run out until later this year ?
Not sure it didn't say it just said use all your points. I got all my essentials (coats shirts trousers warm hats etc) but had 3 left. My only guess is that it's so people don't assume points get carried over maybe?
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
I can tell you from bad experience that the GTR trousers are universally regarded as being a terrible fit. I ordered two pairs of 38L and the waist measured only 34” when they arrived. I had to get a 42L so I could get them done up.

With platform make sure you stay warm and dry, it can get cold quickly in exposed places.
It’s an awful fit isn’t it! 1 of our lads got a 40 and they said it was nowhere near! They then got a 42 and said those were massive! So he gave up and bought some chinos!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not sure it didn't say it just said use all your points. I got all my essentials (coats shirts trousers warm hats etc) but had 3 left. My only guess is that it's so people don't assume points get carried over maybe?
Points don’t carry over! The socks are amazing if you have nothing to get this year for 7 points
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
It’s an awful fit isn’t it! 1 of our lads got a 40 and they said it was nowhere near! They then got a 42 and said those were massive! So he gave up and bought some chinos!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Points don’t carry over! The socks are amazing if you have nothing to get this year for 7 points

I empathise entirely! I ended up going to Niton999. I bought a couple of pairs of black police style trousers, which is what I had as an REO and the 38L was a perfect fit.

I’ve heard we might be moving to a new supplier, with a multi brand design at some point this year, so it will be interesting to see what that’s like. Still no shorts or cargos though.
 

NewKidITB

New Member
Joined
6 Jan 2025
Messages
3
Location
UK
I can tell you from bad experience that the GTR trousers are universally regarded as being a terrible fit. I ordered two pairs of 38L and the waist measured only 34” when they arrived. I had to get a 42L so I could get them done up.

With platform make sure you stay warm and dry, it can get cold quickly in exposed places.
I have my fingers crossed on the trouser size I picked.

I'll make sure to do that, Thank you.
 

NewKidITB

New Member
Joined
6 Jan 2025
Messages
3
Location
UK
I have literally just done this this evening! Email said to use all points but I had 3 left with nothing that cost 3
Did you pick the Jacket? (the one that looks like a suit Jacket).
I wonder if they ever wear that on the platform...

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Whats total points for a year to spend?
The total I was just allocated is 410. I'm not sure if it's for the year or not

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

On your login page and order confirmation, it will list your collection point and place of work.
I'll watch out for that. Thank you.
 
Last edited:

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Did you pick the Jacket? (the one that looks like a suit Jacket).
I wonder if they ever wear that on the platform...

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The total I was just allocated is 410. I'm not sure if it's for the year or not

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I'll watch out for that. Thank you.
No I got one bad weather coat and 2 shell jackets
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,894
Drivers get 210 points each year, so I think your 410 points sound a lot and are likely a large number to start you off, and you'll get less to 'top-up' in future years.
I daresay Drivers get more when joining the company to start them off too.

Having three points left is okay, they are saying to use them all because you can't carry them over. Each uniform year (April to March) has certain number of points, and if you don't use them, it resets for the next year and those unused points are lost.
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Drivers get 210 points each year, so I think your 410 points sound a lot and are likely a large number to start you off, and you'll get less to 'top-up' in future years.
I daresay Drivers get more when joining the company to start them off too.

Having three points left is okay, they are saying to use them all because you can't carry them over. Each uniform year (April to March) has certain number of points, and if you don't use them, it resets for the next year and those unused points are lost.
Yeah that's what I figured in the end. I couldn't use the 3 and there was nothing I wanted to take off realy, I got essentials only, I guess the baseball cap was a non essential but I thought for summer I like having a hat or cap.
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,894
Yeah that's what I figured in the end. I couldn't use the 3 and there was nothing I wanted to take off realy, I got essentials only, I guess the baseball cap was a non essential but I thought for summer I like having a hat or cap.
Well, you should get a new set of points to use from April, so can get your cap then. You don't have to use all your points at once in April by the way - just as long as you make use of them by the following March. So you can get what you need in one big hit or stagger it out in several orders throughout the year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top