• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR/ThamesLink Shunter Driver (0538) Three Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumperan

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2020
Messages
31
Location
didcot
Might be worth a punt
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidlandsChap

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2018
Messages
196
Its rather annoying when companies say that the salary is "competitive". I doubt if I put my salary as "competitive" on my mortgage application they would be particulary impressed. Appreciate that people going into the sector should be doing so for the job but ultimately people still have bills to pay, and some need to know if they can afford the salary drop to start a new career.
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
Well they are currently on 50k but I believe new shunters will be on around 30k
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
I believe this is an issue thats ongoing as no it hasn't but they are trying to find a way of justifying putting new people on a much lower wage then existing drivers.
Basically most of the shunters will move onto mainline driving and the current shunters that don't want to are having their pay frozen until the new staff catch up, at least that's what they want, whether its actually going to happen is another matter lol
 

BloominMan

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
89
Is it the full driving assessment for a shunter? Dots test etc...

Funnily enough on another forum somebody asked the same question, nobody was perfectly sure as to whether a depot driver/shunter driver required exactly the same requirements as a mainline driver, medical included as it was depot working only, working to local instructions - Not mainline at all. No routes to sign off etc.

Maybe somebody could elaborate
 

sumperan

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2020
Messages
31
Location
didcot
Funnily enough on another forum somebody asked the same question, nobody was perfectly sure as to whether a depot driver/shunter driver required exactly the same requirements as a mainline driver, medical included as it was depot working only, working to local instructions - Not mainline at all. No routes to sign off etc.

Maybe somebody could elaborate
I'm assuming that it is the same assessments based on the add stating "please do not apply if you have failed the Train Driver Assessment within the last 6 Months."
Hence my thinking along these lines.
also taken from the PDF
"Knowledge, Skills and Experience Core Knowledge
1)Detailed knowledge and application of relevant sections of the GTR Safety Management System/Standards
2)Knowledge and competence in all rules and standards applicable to train driving operation on Depot and Network Rail controlled infrastructure as required.
3)Competence in Personal Track Safety (PTS) Competent in the Three Bridges operational instructions and drive traction units applicable"

My interpretation of the listing, is that the rules an traction training will be similar if not the same as on a mainline driving course, what will differ will be handling, and route learning.
As a result due to Unions being involved the requirements for train driving will be similar to shunter/driver.

I may on the other hand have no idea too... just my opinion and my understanding of the ad
 

Bucephalus

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2018
Messages
421
Location
London
Just applied, it took me ages! GTR word the questions in a way that I find really difficult. I'm worried that my answers sucked :(

And yes, definitely train driver psychometric tests, possibly enhanced. I know so because I lost a life to group bourdon last time I went for this job at battersea
 

BloominMan

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
89
Been speaking to a few people I know in the industry.

If it's a TOC, full psychometrics required. If it would of been an external company or non-TOC so to speak, not necessarily required as they can dictate what they want.

A TOC probably want you fully psychometric tested in case you need to fetch a unit through the mainline.

A dedicated depot driver would never be mainline trained for a non-TOC company.
(Edited)
 
Last edited:

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
At three bridges they don't touch the mainline , any shunts from up to down sidings have to be done by mainline drivers as you have to go to Gatwick or haywards heath to do it
 

Applepie356

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2019
Messages
191
Location
UK
I’ve completed all tests with another TOC within the past year, who only required standard.

As far as I’m aware with enhanced it’s just the Driver Fault Finding Test that’s an added extra?

If I got high enough marks in my standard passes to meet their enhanced I guess I won’t have to take them again?
 

Applepie356

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2019
Messages
191
Location
UK
What do train shunters at Three Bridges do exactly? Is it literally just moving trains within the confines of the Depot? Or is there more to it?
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
Well they have to prep them and take trains in and out of the maintenance sheds but they never leave the depot
 

Bucephalus

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2018
Messages
421
Location
London
I will see you there! Whenever it is. I've got a feeling that the talent pool will be pretty big
 

Applepie356

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2019
Messages
191
Location
UK
Nice! Looking at the Trainee Driver thread for GTR they have been receiving emails that they’ll get info on assessments end of August.

I’m guessing you been fast tracked. I was hoping the same for me as all I would have to do is MMI & DFFT.
 

3436mill

Member
Joined
5 May 2020
Messages
69
Location
Staffordshire
Nice! Looking at the Trainee Driver thread for GTR they have been receiving emails that they’ll get info on assessments end of August.

I’m guessing you been fast tracked. I was hoping the same for me as all I would have to do is MMI & DFFT.
Yeah that’s the same for me just need to do the dfft
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top