• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Southern Trainee Train Driver “returners programme”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
It’s in the job title and job description and a question in the application. This is why I emailed to check before applying as didn’t want it to reset the 6month timer for reapplying if not successful.

It’s odd that it lets you answer yes or no to the 18 month question however.

Thanks for confirming.

Yes indeed, they could have made that clearer. Making work themselves, rather, if they get a slew of applications from those who are ineligible.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
I applied, but if I withdraw the application. Will I still be able to apply for another toc or have to wait 6 months?
 

Baz86

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2024
Messages
24
Location
West Sussex
I applied, but if I withdraw the application. Will I still be able to apply for another toc or have to wait 6 months?
I’d email and ask the question just so that everything is done the right way.

I can obviously only speak for myself and the contact I’ve had. I didn’t mean to panic anyone into action as we obviously would all love the opportunity to apply for the job we want.

I don’t think they could ever see that as a bad thing.
 

Economist

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2013
Messages
558
As a qualified driver, I can't help but think this programme is absolutely bonkers. Passengers deserve to have the most capable drivers the company can find with the resources it has available, that means taking on the best trainees they can find solely on grounds of ability. As much as I think it's admirable that the company wishes to recruit people who for various reasons have been out of work for a while, it should be done in the context of a wider recruitment campaign where everyone can apply.
 
Joined
10 Apr 2019
Messages
7
Just received an email back from GTR. Anyone currently employed who applies will not be considered for the role. More vacancies will be advertised towards the end of 2025.
Appreciate you asking them - I've withdrawn my application and will reapply for the next ones. Thanks and I wish you the best of luck o7
 

donkey86

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2025
Messages
7
Location
Brighton
I'm working on my application for this at the moment. I do agree it's odd to only accept applicants who are unemployed but it's perfect for me right now as I've been out of work for a couple of years. Does anyone know how much stock they put in the written answers? I'm struggling with the question about 'a time I have provided exceptional customer service' as the majority of my work history hasn't been in customer facing roles. Do you think they send most people who fill the form in a SJT to do or do they heavily filter and only send test links to those who give the very best answers?
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
I'm working on my application for this at the moment. I do agree it's odd to only accept applicants who are unemployed but it's perfect for me right now as I've been out of work for a couple of years. Does anyone know how much stock they put in the written answers? I'm struggling with the question about 'a time I have provided exceptional customer service' as the majority of my work history hasn't been in customer facing roles. Do you think they send most people who fill the form in a SJT to do or do they heavily filter and only send test links to those who give the very best answers?
You could use a time where you've helped out a company you've worked with like when unexpected issues happen and you may have then stayed on to help solve the issue or a time where you've helped out a friend or family member that needed help with something. It's all still a form of customer service. Your answers can be about times inside or outside of a work setting.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
I'm working on my application for this at the moment. I do agree it's odd to only accept applicants who are unemployed but it's perfect for me right now as I've been out of work for a couple of years. Does anyone know how much stock they put in the written answers? I'm struggling with the question about 'a time I have provided exceptional customer service' as the majority of my work history hasn't been in customer facing roles. Do you think they send most people who fill the form in a SJT to do or do they heavily filter and only send test links to those who give the very best answers?

They will most likely filter most applicants out at the form stage, so worth putting plenty of thought into the answers!
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,305
I applied, but if I withdraw the application. Will I still be able to apply for another toc or have to wait 6 months?
You can apply to as many TOCs as you want. The 6 month rule is only if you take the assessments and fail. If you are rejected before the assessment stage, that does not count as a fail.
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
You can apply to as many TOCs as you want. The 6 month rule is only if you take the assessments and fail. If you are rejected before the assessment stage, that does not count as a fail.
Assessment, you mean the invitation to VSE and SJT right? The initial sifting part?
 

kieran88

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2024
Messages
24
Location
london
Anyone heard back after doing the SJT yet?
Unless it’s changed since I went through all this. They only tell you when you’ve failed otherwise the next thing you’ll get will be a miniscaat invite.

It could be months and if there’s a logic as to who they choose to invite first nobody knows what it is.
 

donkey86

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2025
Messages
7
Location
Brighton
Thanks, I guess I just need to be patient. It’s tricky because I’m currently not in work but I’m actively trying to find a job. I’d really love this role but it seems I’m only eligible for this round of recruitment if I stay unemployed.
 

Steprenity

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2025
Messages
5
Location
Surrey
Thanks, I guess I just need to be patient. It’s tricky because I’m currently not in work but I’m actively trying to find a job. I’d really love this role but it seems I’m only eligible for this round of recruitment if I stay unemployed.
I'm in the same postion as you, I applied for this but I've not heard back since doing the online SJT.

If they are looking for people currently out of work, I "assumed" the reason was they needed people to start quickly without having to give notice to a previous employer, but now my problem is that I can't afford to stay out of work much longer, and so I'm having to apply for other jobs. If successful then I will no longer fit the criteria for this recruitment programme.
 

Trev5678

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2025
Messages
18
Location
South east
DO NOT give up, I failed my MMI first attempt. Reapplied, and had to wait 5 years (because covid happpened) but never gave up hope and eventually I got a 2nd chance and got through, so if it's the job you want, reapply soon as you can and keep trying. Learn from this time round as you now know exactly how it works.
Sorry, i’ve just been scrolling and i have also failed my first mmi and will hopefully be re attempting soon. It’s nice to see that you passed the 2nd time. What did you fail on if you don’t mind me asking and did you need to change much to pass the 2nd round? The 2 attempt rule really puts the pressure on doesn’t it
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Sorry, i’ve just been scrolling and i have also failed my first mmi and will hopefully be re attempting soon. It’s nice to see that you passed the 2nd time. What did you fail on if you don’t mind me asking and did you need to change much to pass the 2nd round? The 2 attempt rule really puts the pressure on doesn’t it
I believe its 3 now.... (dont quote me on that)

I failed and when asked they said I didn't "structure" my answers correctly.

So my second time i practiced my answers using the S.T.A.R interview method. That will structure each answer the right way.

I found the 2nd time much more laid back because I knew what to expect.
 

Trev5678

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2025
Messages
18
Location
South east
I believe its 3 now.... (dont quote me on that)

I failed and when asked they said I didn't "structure" my answers correctly.

So my second time i practiced my answers using the S.T.A.R interview method. That will structure each answer the right way.

I found the 2nd time much more laid back because I knew what to expect.
No, you are right, it’s 3 if you haven’t taken any tests before i think december 2024. I started applying and attended an assessment day early 2023 so i only have one more go . Oh amazing that you passed the 2nd go. You shall be my inspiration Sir . I failed one question in the interview and i think i know why. I just need to repeat the other questions in the way i did last time but not let nerves get the better of me

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

No, you are right, it’s 3 if you haven’t taken any tests before i think december 2024. I started applying and attended an assessment day early 2023 so i only have one more go . Oh amazing that you passed the 2nd go. You shall be my inspiration Sir . I failed one question in the interview and i think i know why. I just need to repeat the other questions in the way i did last time but not let nerves get the better of me
sorry i just realised i assumed you are a Sir! Apologies if you are a lady
 

donkey86

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2025
Messages
7
Location
Brighton
I'm in the same postion as you, I applied for this but I've not heard back since doing the online SJT.

If they are looking for people currently out of work, I "assumed" the reason was they needed people to start quickly without having to give notice to a previous employer, but now my problem is that I can't afford to stay out of work much longer, and so I'm having to apply for other jobs. If successful then I will no longer fit the criteria for this recruitment programme.
I’ve received an email today inviting me to do the next stage - the mini scaat - so things are at least moving in the right direction now.
 

donkey86

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2025
Messages
7
Location
Brighton
I haven’t actually done it yet - it’s given me a deadline of Thursday so I’ve been doing the OPC practice tests. Staring at random numbers until my eyes go funny! I’ll probably do the real thing tomorrow.
 

LuckyJackal

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2019
Messages
45
I hear you. Well, good luck! I'm sure you will smash it! Please let us know once you've done it what it was like, e.g., shapes, numbers, time it took. Thanks in advance.
 

donkey86

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2025
Messages
7
Location
Brighton
Done. It was just letters, no numbers or shapes. Maybe two minutes per round. I found it easier than the practice ones with shapes (if you’ve tried the one with all the different brackets you’ll know how hard it is!) but still tricky overall, because I’d done all the practice ones printed out with a pencil, but for the real test I had to click them on the screen. I guess it depends how used to using a mouse you are. It’s not something I’ve done day to day for a while, so by the last one my hand was starting to hurt so that slowed me down.

I’m pretty confident that I managed to be very accurate, but maybe too slow. Ah well, time to wait and see!
 

LuckyJackal

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2019
Messages
45
Thanks so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.
I understand the importance of precision and I know those brackets are there to ensure accuracy—not cause panic.
You've done more than enough, and I’m grateful for it. Wishing you the best of luck!
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London

newbiewannabe

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2024
Messages
159
Location
London
Hello, is this in reference to the very recently posted advert or this one which started in May?

If it’s the former, please use this thread - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/southern-trainee-train-driver-recruitment-discussion.295791/
The recent one, I’ve only just found out about it and don’t have a good CV and the closing date is Sunday and I am very strapped time at the moment! Just trying to find out if it’s compulsory. I also applied for Southeastern and a CV wasn’t required.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,305
If they ask for a CV, then ignoring their request is not a good way to be selected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top