• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Southern or South West Trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cossie4i

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
322
Location
Somerset
The new system is now in place, drivers are now starting to move trains in passenger service after 5 weeks, as apposed to the original 13 weeks, this has lead to some of them being called 'ball in the bag drivers' by a very small number of old school drivers. Intermittent assessment are being done on company issued iPads at home.

I think you will find it's Boil in the Bag.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cmm883

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2015
Messages
48
Yes...I noticed. Had a trainee & DI take my train over the other day definitely see the difference straight away. The trainee certainly looked like "a rabbit in the headlights"

Shame really, our "old" training programme is going has it works brilliantly. Seems to be that all driver training by TOCs is to become the same national standard (like everything else on the railway) which is a good thing at times but can also be bad as well

Do trainees start doing hours with a DI before they pass their rules then? That doesn't seem right..

From what I'm reading, the old training programme seems more thorough
 

WA_Driver

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2015
Messages
148
Location
London
Do trainees start doing hours with a DI before they pass their rules then? That doesn't seem right..

From what I'm reading, the old training programme seems more thorough

Currently No. Rules are completed first then conduct slow movements in Clapham Yard with trainers from the training centre then drive under instruction with trainers and then do they go to their depots and drive under tuition of DI.

But under the new training regime implemented or "recommended" by RSSB (I beileive) which as only just started that will certainly be the case as now rules & assessments can be completed on iPads
 

Dom395

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2014
Messages
104
Location
Greater London
This is a very easy question. 100% South West Trains. Govia (GTR) are awful. I would never want to work for anything that is run by Govia or Go Ahead. They are a terrible incompetent company. I would recommend staying away from them. SWT however actually seem quite good and in my opinion are the best TOC in the UK. So i would definitely recommend working for SWT instead of GTR.

I looked at your name, and profile picture and already knew what you were going to say.
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Does any one know what traction & routes Woking drivers sign?
Going from what I've heard...
444/450/455/456/458/(soon)707
Waterloo-Basingstoke (main and slow lines)
Woking-Portsmouth Harbour
Pirbright Junction - Alton
Waterloo - Ash Vale Junction via the Windsor Side, Richmond,
Staines, Ascot & Camberley
Hounslow Loop (including all three sides of Hounslow triangle)
Virginia Water - Byfleet Junction/Weybridge
Surbiton-Guildford
Surbiton-Hampton Court
Raynes Park-Effingham Jn
Leatherhead-Dorking
Motspur Park-Chessington
Point Pleasant - Wimbledon via East Putney
Aldershot Junction-Guildford
Possibly Twickenham to New Malden & Staines-Windsor, not sure
Woking sidings; Guildford sidings; Farnham depot. Possibly more; Barton Mill (Basing) and/or Clapham Yard maybe.
As far as I know it's all in 1 big link, also I believe it's a depot that largely exist to cover the work of other depots so quite a few spare turns (although a lot more units are going to start stabling at Woking in the up yard where CET e.t.c. is going in at some point in the nearish future)
A fair bit of variety, all-guard operation for the foreseeable future (for the most part) and a nice set of colleagues (they have a good reputation in the lever-pulling world anyways) mean it's not a bad place to pitch your tent
I am however at pains to stress that this may well be inaccurate in part
 
Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
I don't think SWT have a driver depot at Epsom.

Swt certainly don't. Guildford, Woking or Wimbledon would be nearest.

However, I think southern *may* have a Depot there. Not totally sure though.
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Does anyone know what routes Epsom drivers sign and the tractions?
Thanks in advance

377/455
London Bridge-Caterhan
Purley-Tattenham Corner
Victoria-Horsham (via Selhurst/Waddon/Sutton)
Balham - West Croydon (via Norwood)
Crystal Palace-Sydenham
Sutton-Epsom Downs
Epsom sidings and a smattering of others maybe
Possibly via Hackbridge, not sure
As usual, take with a substantial dose of salt
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Swt certainly don't. Guildford, Woking or Wimbledon would be nearest.

However, I think southern *may* have a Depot there. Not totally sure though.

Oh, judging by the goings-on in this thread, I thought no one wants to work for Southern right now. ;)
 

Ception

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2017
Messages
28
Does anyone know the route/traction out of the Wimbledon Depot for SW TRAINS?
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Does anyone know the route/traction out of the Wimbledon Depot for SW TRAINS?
Drivers
450/455/456/458/707 (444 link 1, maybe in lower links as well but not sure)
Waterloo-Guildford via Woking; Cobham & Epsom
Leatherhead-Dorking
Surbiton-Hampton Court
Chessington
Waterloo-Reading via Windsor side
Hounslow loop
Kingston loop
Shepperton from both Strawberry Hill and Teddington
VW to Weybridge/Byfleet Junction
Staines-Windsor
Woking-Alton
Wimbledon depot, Clapham Yard; Strawberry Hill depot possibly a smattering of others
Link 1 add Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Guards don't do VW - Reading or Guildford - Pompey/444s. Considerably fewer Guards than Drivers (Wimbledon drivers work with Waterloo guards a lot)
As always, if anyone can correct me please do
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
450s and 444s come under the same competency.

Out of interest do they sign diesels and MPV work at WM too? Quite often there's one lurking around the shed.
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
450s and 444s come under the same competency.

Out of interest do they sign diesels and MPV work at WM too? Quite often there's one lurking around the shed.

Every day's a school day!
Diesels to Wimbledon are done by Link 1 Waterloo I believe; as are the diesels that park at Clapham Yard.
I'm not sure who does the inner MPV circuits, I assumed it was Woking because of the route card there, but it could well be Wimbledon
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
It is Woking AFAIK, there is certainly an MPV link at Woking.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Does anyone know what routes Epsom drivers sign and the tractions?
Thanks in advance

Swt certainly don't. Guildford, Woking or Wimbledon would be nearest.

However, I think southern *may* have a Depot there. Not totally sure though.

There is no depot at Epsom....

Just picked up on this. To confirm what godfreycomplex said, there certainly is a Southern driver depot (not conductors/OBSs) at Epsom. Predominantly Horsham/Epsom/Sutton to both London Bridge and Victoria, with various routes and calling patterns, as well as some early morning work from Tattenham Corner (involving taxis at the start of duty). It's certainly a very small depot, which often gets dealt with as a subsidiary of Selhurst / "Metro South" operations.

It is Woking AFAIK, there is certainly an MPV link at Woking.

I believe you're correct. Do those MPV runs still include the North Downs circuits, which start at Effingham Junction and meander over to the siding at Redhill?
 
Last edited:

Ception

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2017
Messages
28
Drivers
450/455/456/458/707 (444 link 1, maybe in lower links as well but not sure)
Waterloo-Guildford via Woking; Cobham & Epsom
Leatherhead-Dorking
Surbiton-Hampton Court
Chessington
Waterloo-Reading via Windsor side
Hounslow loop
Kingston loop
Shepperton from both Strawberry Hill and Teddington
VW to Weybridge/Byfleet Junction
Staines-Windsor
Woking-Alton
Wimbledon depot, Clapham Yard; Strawberry Hill depot possibly a smattering of others
Link 1 add Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Guards don't do VW - Reading or Guildford - Pompey/444s. Considerably fewer Guards than Drivers (Wimbledon drivers work with Waterloo guards a lot)
As always, if anyone can correct me please do

Many Thanks for the info
 

WA_Driver

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2015
Messages
148
Location
London
Drivers
450/455/456/458/707 (444 link 1, maybe in lower links as well but not sure)
Waterloo-Guildford via Woking; Cobham & Epsom
Leatherhead-Dorking
Surbiton-Hampton Court
Chessington
Waterloo-Reading via Windsor side
Hounslow loop
Kingston loop
Shepperton from both Strawberry Hill and Teddington
VW to Weybridge/Byfleet Junction
Staines-Windsor
Woking-Alton
Wimbledon depot, Clapham Yard; Strawberry Hill depot possibly a smattering of others
Link 1 add Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Guards don't do VW - Reading or Guildford - Pompey/444s. Considerably fewer Guards than Drivers (Wimbledon drivers work with Waterloo guards a lot)
As always, if anyone can correct me please do

Wimbledon drivers also sign Staines to Reading and there is also a "porterbrook" link there Senior drivers sign Woking to Poole
 

WA_Driver

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2015
Messages
148
Location
London
Every day's a school day!
Diesels to Wimbledon are done by Link 1 Waterloo I believe; as are the diesels that park at Clapham Yard.
I'm not sure who does the inner MPV circuits, I assumed it was Woking because of the route card there, but it could well be Wimbledon

Diesels to Wimbledon Park is covered by all links at Waterloo. Link 1 do drive the traction, however it's mainly lower links that pilot the Salisbury Driver into the depot on a Friday night and on the Saturday it is driven out of the depot by link 1 Waterloo driver
 

WA_Driver

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2015
Messages
148
Location
London
Every day's a school day!
Diesels to Wimbledon are done by Link 1 Waterloo I believe; as are the diesels that park at Clapham Yard.
I'm not sure who does the inner MPV circuits, I assumed it was Woking because of the route card there, but it could well be Wimbledon

No MPV link at Wimbledon. So it would be Woking that take MPVs into Wimbledon Park
 

Thomas choo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2017
Messages
36
Hi guys. I know the question is regarding Wimbledon but does anybody know the routes taken by the Woking depot?
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Wimbledon drivers also sign Staines to Reading and there is also a "porterbrook" link there Senior drivers sign Woking to Poole

I always thought the porterbrook link was at strawberry hill. Could be wrong though!
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Going from what I've heard...
444/450/455/456/458/(soon)707
Waterloo-Basingstoke (main and slow lines)
Woking-Portsmouth Harbour
Pirbright Junction - Alton
Waterloo - Ash Vale Junction via the Windsor Side, Richmond,
Staines, Ascot & Camberley
Hounslow Loop (including all three sides of Hounslow triangle)
Virginia Water - Byfleet Junction/Weybridge
Surbiton-Guildford
Surbiton-Hampton Court
Raynes Park-Effingham Jn
Leatherhead-Dorking
Motspur Park-Chessington
Point Pleasant - Wimbledon via East Putney
Aldershot Junction-Guildford
Possibly Twickenham to New Malden & Staines-Windsor, not sure
Woking sidings; Guildford sidings; Farnham depot. Possibly more; Barton Mill (Basing) and/or Clapham Yard maybe.
I believe it's a depot that largely exist to cover the work of other depots so quite a few spare turns (although a lot more units are going to start stabling at Woking in the up yard where CET e.t.c. is going in at some point in the nearish future)
A fair bit of variety, all-guard operation for the foreseeable future (for the most part) and a nice set of colleagues (they have a good reputation in the lever-pulling world anyways) mean it's not a bad place to pitch your tent
I am however at pains to stress that this may well be inaccurate in part

From a few months ago. Don't think it's vastly changed; or is likely to vastly change.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I don't think I'm far off the mark if I were to say everything except west of Basingstoke?

Near enough. Sign all Suburban Routes bar Ascot-Reading, Leatherhead-Dorking, Staines-Windsor, East Putney and Strawberry Hill-Fulwell direct via the curve. On top of that they sign Woking-Alton/Basingstoke/Portsmouth Harbour (via Guildford). Guildford-Ascot too.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top