• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR prosecute letter - deadline soon urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter12

New Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi everyone,

I have been issued with a notice of intent to prosecute letter, after I made a severe lack of judgement and irresponsible decision to board a train without a ticket earlier this year. I deeply regret this whole incident.
I want to be clear that I am sorry this all occurred, and the consequences of serious punishment has truly been a learning lesson for me, and I won't be boarding a train without a correct valid ticket again.
I am posting about my incident for the purpose of hopefully getting a second opinion on my draft response to Thameslink, as I don't have anyone else I can turn to for this, and time is running out. Thank you all for the support.

Journey details:
On the day of the incident, I was intending to travel on a great northern service into Cambrdige station, where I would then change train to catch a connecting greater anglia service into London. I had paid for an advanced purchased e-ticket for this journey.

The great northern service was running a few minutes late that day, and when it arrived at Cambridge station the driver coupled the existing train to additional carriages before letting passengers leave the train (I believe usually passengers are let off first - no excuses though for what happens next), which added to the delay, and resulted in me missing my connecting greater anglia train.

Because I needed to be in work for a meeting early that morning (In reflection - & because of my lack of judgement and responsibility towards paying for the train fare), I then made the wrong and irresponsible decision to board a Thameslink service from Cambridge station intending to go to Finsbury Park station, not purchasing a ticket before boarding the train.

Interaction with staff:
At Hitchin, revenue protection officers boarded the train. I panicked and purchased an online ticket there and then from Hitchin to Finsbury Park station, which I then presented to the revenue protection officer. When they made the point that I had just purchased the ticket, I continued to panic, and lied saying I had just boarded the train at Hitchin, and brought the ticket. I was then asked how I made it through the barriers, and I claimed I had pushed through them whilst in a rush for the train. He correctly did not believe me. It was at some point during that initial encounter the revenue protection officer turned on his recording device.

Note: The incident happened many months ago now, and in the moment it did feel like it all happened so quickly, I was in a mix of shock, panic, and embarrassment - so I do apologize that my recollection of the interaction with staff isn’t totally clear.

He then repeatedly said he needed my ID. I can't remember if the following came before asking for ID, or if he asked me this in a question form but he suggested he would call British transport police more than once. To which I questioned why, as I didn't understand (at the time) why he needed to see my ID specifically or the need to instantly call for British transport police. (this was probably over 30 seconds).

I was sat down at this point amongst passengers, again embarrassed and still in a panic, I stood up and initiated to the revenue protection officer for us to stand up near the doors, away from the seated area so this could be understood and sorted out. I was asking for the process to be explained to me.
It was then clarified (from my side) that British transport police would not be needed. At some point around this moment of events, his colleague came over and I believe she said they needed something with a proof of address on it, to collect my details, and suggested I could use an online banking statement, as by then I explained i didnt have ID on me.

I proceeded to use an online banking statement to provide my details. I still didn't understand the form being filled out, or the consequence, so whilst he was doing it I was asking him to explain the process to me, which he said he would.
It was at this point while collecting my details, I explained to him the truth of me boarding the train at Cambridge station, and my previous advanced purchase e-ticket for greater anglia service into London. I believe he said he would note that down in the form (I can't see that on my printed witness receipt). I believe at the end of our interaction on the train, he did say the form being completed was a witness receipt for an intention to prosecute and that Thameslink service will write to me.

After our interaction on the train ended, I remember feeling that his initial (suggestion or question) of calling British transport police was unhelpful to the interaction, and also not being explained the process.
When I left the train at Finsbury Park, the ticket inspectors also left the train. When walking past them, I stopped to ask for the name of the ticket inspector who gave me the witness receipt, to which he provided his first name and told me he is not required to give me his second name, and that his number is on the witness report.

I communicated verbatim to him regarding my feelings of his communication in explaining the situation, and initially suggesting (or questioning) transport police being unhelpful in the interaction. I believe I did also question why it was straight to an intention to prosecute and not a fine - I believe he said it was because I said I had pushed through the barrier which is a serious offence. He then communicated he did not want to talk further to me and that everything was on camera recorded, and that I would be written too.
During this interaction, he was stood next to a colleague (a different colleague to the earlier one). After the revenue officer did not want to speak to me anymore, myself and his colleague started to communicate. I believe I explained that I am not here to be abusive, I wanted feedback on the interaction and communication. She did helpfully explain that incidents can jump straight to prosecution, and that the Hitchin barrier guards would have seen me pushing through barriers and notified the revenue officers of me if that was the case, which is how the officer knew I was lying. At some point in that I did ask that if the reason for giving me the prosecution was because I pushed through the barriers, if he knew I was lying about that why did he continue to prosecute, if I hadn't done that, and after said the truth.
My conversation with the colleagues of the revenue officer who provided me the witness receipt was civil and reciprocal. It's not to say the conversation with the revenue officer who gave me the witness receipt was uncivil, I would say it was more tense, and felt less communicative.

To be clear, looking back I do feel ashamed of how the interaction went with the revenue officer. Whilst I do feel the communication of the process could have been better, in reflection I recognised that the underlying reason for the feedback i gave on the platform, and questioning of it all, was because of my underlying annoyance, shame and embarrassment at myself, for dodging the fare and then initially lying about it, and being worried about the consequences that comes with that. Plus the ticket inspector is human, and only doing his job, they are not going to get every interaction explained perfectly correctly to our (or my) desire to each individual, especially when he needs to go and check other peoples tickets and support his colleagues. Like I said, I also admittedly initially lied to him so who am I to question someone else's communication, if I can't be truthful myself. I do understand now why ID is requested as they need to verify people’s details as undoubtedly they have probably been given any old details in the past. I do also get why he suggested british transport police as if people are not compliant (i.e he knew I was lying about pushing through the barriers and boarding at Hitchin, and did not understand the ID at first), then they need to report us, and they undoubtedly get grief, and I am sure they have heard and seen it all. As I said in the beginning I am very sorry for this incident as a whole, I was not abusive but it could have been more smoother for the revenue officer if I had been more accountable for my actions in the moment - something which I feel I am now, and have learnt from to apply going forward.

For the record; I purchased the tickets with a valid 16-25 railcard.

The outcome I would consider satisfactory is an out of court settlement, to rightfully pay my outstanding fare and the administrative time my case has cost Thameslink.

So I received the following letter from Thameslink:(sorry i don't have a scanner)
------------------------------------
'On XX YY 2025 at xx:xx your details were recorded by a member of our revenue protection team at/near Welwyn Garden City railway station.
This letter is to inform you of our intention to take this case to Magistrates Court. However, on the last page of this letter we give you the opportunity to tell us what happened from your point of view, which could influence this decision. Information you provide should be both factual and honest.
You may have been asked by a member of our revenue protection team to send in a copy of your valid ticket or railcard. This is your opportunity to do so, however please be aware that any ticket or railcard should have been purchased before boarding the train for it to be considered valid.
It is only fair that everyone pays the right fare.
Here at Govia Thameslink Railway we pass all the money we receive from ticket sales to the government.
Travel fraud costs the rail industry over 400 million per year which could otherwise be invested in improving rail services.

If, on consideration of the information you provide, we do pursue this through the courts, we will always ask they impose the maximum penalty for offenders, which can include:
A criminal record
Fine of up to 1000
Compensation
Costs

Aggravating features, such as repeat offences may also lead the court to impose:
A prison sentence
A suspended sentence

You must reply to this letter within 14 days of the above date, including the reference above on any correspondence.

Failure to do so may mean further administration charges are applied to your case, and you may lose your opportunity to influence our decision to take the case through the Magistrates court process.'
------------------------
They have then provided me with a second piece of paper with my reference number and
'Details of offence(s):
On the below date you were spoken to regarding the following alleged offence(s):
That you on XXYY2025, Did enter a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, and upon inspection at Welwyn Garden City (WGC); did not produce a valid ticket entitling travel.

Response from passenger:
Tell us what happened from your point of view. Information should be both factual and honest.'

------------------
I have drafted the following response which I would be grateful for a second opinion on:

Dear Govia Thameslink Railway,

RE: REFERENCE NUMBER

I am writing to you in response to the opportunity you have provided me to give my point of view regarding the incident which resulted in my details being recorded by a member of your Revenue Protection Team near Welwyn Garden City railway station on XX YY 2025 at xxxx. I want to express my gratitude to you for giving me this opportunity.

On XX YY 2025, I travelled on a Great Northern service from XXXX station, intending to go to XXXXXX station on a connecting Greater Anglia Service via a change at Cambridge station (enclosed is my advanced purchased e-ticket receipt for this intended journey). The Great Northern service was running delayed by a few minutes that morning, and when the train arrived into Cambridge station it coupled to additional carriages before customers had the opportunity to exit the train. Once I could exit, there was not enough time to change platforms for my Greater Anglia connect service which I resultantly missed.

I then made the irresponsible and wrong decision to board a Govia Thameslink Railway service from Cambridge station, intending to go to Finsbury Park station, without buying a ticket for that train journey. Upon arriving at Hitchin station on the Thameslink service, staff of the Govia Thameslink Railway Revenue Protection Team boarded the train. I then proceeded to purchase an online e-ticket, which was from Hitchin railway station to Finsbury park, and I presented it to a member of your revenue protection team. When the revenue protection officer stated that I had just purchased the ticket, I proceeded to lie and say the reason for this was because I had just boarded the train at Hitchin railway station, and I had pushed through the barriers in a rush to catch the train. (just for reference of the point of view; I have attached my e-ticket receipt, I understand that it is not a valid ticket, and do not claim it to be).

The Revenue protection officer rightly did not believe my lie, and informed me that he would need to collect my details for an intention to prosecute notice. Whilst providing my details, I began to regret my decisions of boarding the train without a ticket and providing a false story, and I then informed the Revenue protection officer about the truth of boarding the Thameslink service from Cambridge station, and travelling originally from xxxx station.

I want to express my sincerest apologies for my inconsiderate actions and the disruption it has caused. I take full responsibility for not paying for a valid train ticket, and not being honest and fair at the first opportunity to your Revenue protection officer. I deeply regret and am shameful about this, there is no excuse for my behaviour.

I have since learnt the importance of my personal responsibility in following the rules, and the seriousness of the repercussions that follow if I don’t. I now understand the negative effects that my unfair act of fare dodging has on honest commuters, train companies, and the government who would all otherwise front this cost. As well as the resultant negative effect on the train network's ability to be sustainable, all of which Revenue officers set out to protect. I will not board a train again without having paid for the correct valid ticket. I have learnt a valuable lesson of conducting myself with integrity, respect and accountability for my actions at all times.

I would be very grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without the need for court action, and I am keen to rightfully pay the full outstanding fare, as well as Govia Thameslink Railway company’s administrative costs for the time you have spent in dealing with this matter.

In case needed, you may also contact me on my email address xxxxxxxx
Yours faithfully,
YYYYYYYY

P.S: My 16-25 Railcard was used to buy both the aforementioned e-tickets. My 16-25 railcard number is xxxxxxxxx and I have also attached the receipt of my purchase of a 3 year railcard for reference.

—-------------------
I was hoping to get a second opinion on my draft? & Given my staff interaction, do you think I have made my regret and sorrow clear in the communication to Thameslink?

By the way - I am 99% sure that the day this all occurred was the day the great northern train Decided to couple to additional carriages before allowing customers to exit - as there definitely was a day this happened to me, and it lines up with the timings of the train arriving to the station of the day of this incident! - i think now my mind is playing tricks on me considering they put information should be 'factual and honest', I'm now overthinking and I don't want to have made a silly mistake there.

Secondly and importantly, the return time frame of within 14 days to return this letter ends on Tuesday, so I think to be safe, I have to return this by Monday next week? I could post it on Friday and pay the next day guarantee to ensure it gets there by Monday? But I am mindful that leaves me with no margin of error with the postal system in the event something goes wrong.
I do have the opportunity to deliver it by hand myself to the offices on Friday or Monday - do you think this can be delivered by hand, and if so, what evidence can I use to show i did that i.e a photo?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,315
Location
Reading
Your response is far, far too long.
You do not need to say most of that at all.

Their letter doesn't go into any details, does it? It doesn't need to - the offence was straightforward.
Delete almost everything you've written.
Do not attempt to describe or justify or explain what you did. The reader really doesn't care!
Keep the apologies - but they don't need to be that long!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You can either post or hand in your letter.

(If you don't get a reply in a reasonable amount of time and you're worried whether or not they got it, then you can simply email them to ask them to confirm that they received it and enclose a photo of the letter in the email just in case they didn't.)
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,233
Please use the search facility top tight of page to find examples of letters that the experienced forum members have reviewed and consider to be suitable.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,525
Location
LBK
Cut down the whole thing and don't bother with all the specifics of the incident with joining and dividing trains etc. Also don't use redundant phrases or overwrought language, this is a letter about an elementary ticketing matter, not your defence at the Nuremberg Trials.

Dear Govia Thameslink Railway,

RE: REFERENCE NUMBER

I am writing to you in response to the opportunity you have provided me to give my point of view your letter regarding the incident which resulted in my details being recorded
by a member of your Revenue Protection Team near Welwyn Garden City railway station on XX YY 2025 at xxxx. I want to express my gratitude to you for giving me this opportunity.

On XX YY 2025, I travelled on a Great Northern service from XXXX station, intending to go to XXXXXX station on a connecting Greater Anglia Service via a change at Cambridge station (enclosed is my advanced purchased e-ticket receipt for this intended journey). The Great Northern service was running delayed by a few minutes that morning, and when the train arrived into Cambridge station it coupled to additional carriages before customers had the opportunity to exit the train. Once I could exit, there was not enough time to change platforms for my Greater Anglia connect service which I resultantly missed.


On this day, I then made the irresponsible and wrong decision to board a Govia Thameslink Railway service from Cambridge station, intending to go to Finsbury Park station, without buying a ticket for that train journey. Upon arriving at Hitchin station on the Thameslink service, staff of the Govia Thameslink Railway Revenue Protection Team boarded the train. I then proceeded to purchase an online e-ticket, which was from Hitchin railway station to Finsbury park, and I presented it to a member of your revenue protection team. When the revenue protection officer stated that I had just purchased the ticket, I proceeded to lie and say the reason for this was because I had just boarded the train at Hitchin railway station, and I had pushed through the barriers in a rush to catch the train. (just for reference of the point of view; I have attached my e-ticket receipt, I understand that it is not a valid ticket, and do not claim it to be).

The Revenue protection officer rightly did not believe my lie, and informed me that he would need to collect my details for an intention to prosecute notice. Whilst providing my details, I began to regret my decisions of boarding the train without a ticket and providing a false story, and I then informed the Revenue protection officer about the truth of boarding the Thameslink service from Cambridge station, and travelling originally from xxxx station.

I want to express my sincerest apologies for my inconsiderate actions and the disruption it has caused. I take full responsibility for not paying for a valid train ticket. and not being honest and fair at the first opportunity to your Revenue protection officer. I deeply regret and am shameful about this, there is no excuse for my behaviour.

I have since learnt the importance of my personal responsibility in following to follow the rules, and the seriousness of the repercussions that follow if I don’t. I now understand the negative effects that my unfair act of fare dodging has on honest commuters, train companies, and the government who would all otherwise front this cost. As well as the resultant negative effect on the train network's ability to be sustainable, all of which Revenue officers set out to protect. I will not board a train again without having paid for the correct a valid ticket. I have learnt a valuable lesson of conducting myself with integrity, respect and accountability for my actions at all times.

I would be very grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without the need for court action, and I am keen to rightfully pay the full outstanding fare, as well as Govia Thameslink Railway company’s administrative costs for the time you have spent in dealing with this matter.

In case needed, you may also contact me on my email address xxxxxxxx
Yours faithfully,
YYYYYYYY

P.S: My 16-25 Railcard was used to buy both the aforementioned e-tickets. My 16-25 railcard number is xxxxxxxxx and I have also attached the receipt of my purchase of a 3 year railcard for reference.


Maybe not using AI?
The letter is not AI generated.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
Also, the amended paragraph beginning "On this day..." only needs the first sentence; I would suggest deleting the rest..

In terms of outcome, GTR almost always agree to a settlement. They may first check your ticketing history to look for other irregularities; this may affect the amount you have to pay but not the overall outcome
 

Sprinter12

New Member
Joined
9 Dec 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your prompt responses, it's really appreciated - I understand now that the narrative around my earlier intended journey is actually completely irrelevant in response to the offence that I decided to board that Thameslink service without a valid ticket.

Thank you for your opinions on reducing the over emphasis I had in my draft (I was thinking it seemed long). Just for my understanding, is their a reason I wouldn't mention that I ended up telling the revenue protection officer the truth? I am mindful that I don't want the fact I initially lied, or that it was not necessarily a 'smooth' encounter affecting the outcome if I don't address the regret I have of it.

The date of the incident was towards the end of july so around 5 months ago now.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You can either post or hand in your letter.

(If you don't get a reply in a reasonable amount of time and you're worried whether or not they got it, then you can simply email them to ask them to confirm that they received it and enclose a photo of the letter in the email just in case they didn't.)
Thanks so much for your response re: the handing in of the letter.

As you say, if I didn't receive a response in a reasonable amount of time, and I then email to confirm receipt of letter with it attached? If by some chance that was the first time they received it, would that not affect my outcome as it's past the set deadline?
 
Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,290
Location
East Midlands
...
Just for my understanding, is their a reason I wouldn't mention that I ended up telling the revenue protection officer the truth? I am mindful that I don't want the fact I initially lied, or that it was not necessarily a 'smooth' encounter affecting the outcome if I don't address the regret I have of it.
...
The reason it's not worth mentioning is that there's no evidence that any lies, or corrections to those lies, during the original encounter matter to them, or affect the outcome in any way. Many people panic and lie at that time, they're used to it, all that seems to matter is that they believe what you are telling them now, that you understand it is a serious matter, that you apologise and that you give sincere assurances that you won't do it again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top