• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Notice of Intention to Prosecute - please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

softboiledegg

New Member
Joined
1 Jun 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Hello!

So a few months ago, my partner and I were travelling on Thameslink from Finsbury Park to St Neots. As there are no barriers at Finsbury Park, we got on the train and bought a ticket after it had departed (We bought tickets for the full journey). The ticket inspector came and questioned us for the invalid tickets, and we said that it was a mistake, that we were rushing, and that we forgot to buy the tickets on time. (I don't remember it exactly, but I believe on the witness statement he just put down "no barriers at Finsbury Park").

We've recently received our intention to prosecute letters, and I'd be really grateful for some advice on how to word the reply.

Some notes:
  • We bought the tickets once we realised the ticket inspector was coming.
  • We do have some history of short-faring for this destination, but the letter only mentions this offence. This is the only time we've been caught for it. I would say I've done it about 6 times. Ever since the incident however we've been paying the full fares.
  • I'm not sure whether I should mention that my intention was to short-fare, as we did buy the full ticket, just after it had departed. I don't really know how to say what my offence was, if that makes sense?
  • Also, this is really stupid of me, I know, but my rabbit has managed to chew a bit of the letter!! I went to the toilet quickly and when I came back he had already done it!! I've attached the letter here - is it bad? Should I mention what happened in my reply?
Obviously we were fully in the wrong for this, and it's really taught us a lesson.


DRAFT REPLY:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to the incident on XXXXXXX, wherein I travelled on the Thameslink service from Finsbury Park to St. Neots without a valid ticket. On the day, I had got on the train without buying a ticket, purchasing one after the train had departed from Finsbury Park.

I now understand the severity of my offence, and how it negatively impacts the rail industry. This experience has been a big wake up call for me, and I am truly sorry for my actions. I understand that my behaviour has resulted in unnecessary damages and costs towards the rail service.

Since the incident, I’ve made sure to purchase the proper tickets in a timely manner, and I intend to do so permanently.

I would be very grateful if Govia Thameslink Railway would be willing to settle this matter without the need for court action. I am willing to pay the full cost of any outstanding fares, including any admin fees incurred from this investigation.

Thank you for your consideration, and again I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Best regards,
XXXXXXX
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7386.jpg
    IMG_7386.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7387.jpg
    IMG_7387.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 57
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I expect the forum pros will be here a bit later to advise you. From what we see here, though, GTR are usually amenable to settling if you follow the advice from the pros.

One thing you can do immediately is to start buying the correct tickets for your journey and to make sure you don't come to GTR's attention again.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,345
Hello!

So a few months ago, my partner and I were travelling on Thameslink from Finsbury Park to St Neots. As there are no barriers at Finsbury Park, we got on the train and bought a ticket after it had departed (We bought tickets for the full journey). The ticket inspector came and questioned us for the invalid tickets, and we said that it was a mistake, that we were rushing, and that we forgot to buy the tickets on time. (I don't remember it exactly, but I believe on the witness statement he just put down "no barriers at Finsbury Park").

We've recently received our intention to prosecute letters, and I'd be really grateful for some advice on how to word the reply.

Some notes:
  • We bought the tickets once we realised the ticket inspector was coming.
  • We do have some history of short-faring for this destination, but the letter only mentions this offence. This is the only time we've been caught for it. I would say I've done it about 6 times. Ever since the incident however we've been paying the full fares.
  • I'm not sure whether I should mention that my intention was to short-fare, as we did buy the full ticket, just after it had departed. I don't really know how to say what my offence was, if that makes sense?
  • Also, this is really stupid of me, I know, but my rabbit has managed to chew a bit of the letter!! I went to the toilet quickly and when I came back he had already done it!! I've attached the letter here - is it bad? Should I mention what happened in my reply?
Obviously we were fully in the wrong for this, and it's really taught us a lesson.


DRAFT REPLY:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to the incident on XXXXXXX, wherein I travelled on the Thameslink service from Finsbury Park to St. Neots without a valid ticket. On the day, I had got on the train without buying a ticket, purchasing one after the train had departed from Finsbury Park.

I now understand the severity of my offence, and how it negatively impacts the rail industry. This experience has been a big wake up call for me, and I am truly sorry for my actions. I understand that my behaviour has resulted in unnecessary damages and costs towards the rail service.

Since the incident, I’ve made sure to purchase the proper tickets in a timely manner, and I intend to do so permanently.

I would be very grateful if Govia Thameslink Railway would be willing to settle this matter without the need for court action. I am willing to pay the full cost of any outstanding fares, including any admin fees incurred from this investigation.

Thank you for your consideration, and again I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Best regards,
XXXXXXX
Your reply generally looks OK to me - tho if you have time before the deadline best wait 24 hours to see if other comments on here

You need to be prepared for them to audit your ticket buying and possibly ask you about other instances of this - but probably do not need to address that now if they have not asked about it. You need to be aware that your digital fingerprints will have left a clear trail for them if they opt to investigate it
  • Also, this is really stupid of me, I know, but my rabbit has managed to chew a bit of the letter!! I went to the toilet quickly and when I came back he had already done it!! I've attached the letter here - is it bad? Should I mention what happened in my reply?
It looks a bit like your rabbit didn't find it too tasty as not much nibbled. I don't think you need to mention this in your reply as not much has been eaten ;)

When you respond - do keep copies of everything and send your reply 'tracked postage' (not necessarily the much more expensive guaranteed next day postage) from a local post office so you can prove it was received should you ever need to do so.
 

softboiledegg

New Member
Joined
1 Jun 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Your reply generally looks OK to me - tho if you have time before the deadline best wait 24 hours to see if other comments on here

You need to be prepared for them to audit your ticket buying and possibly ask you about other instances of this - but probably do not need to address that now if they have not asked about it. You need to be aware that your digital fingerprints will have left a clear trail for them if they opt to investigate it

It looks a bit like your rabbit didn't find it too tasty as not much nibbled. I don't think you need to mention this in your reply as not much has been eaten ;)

When you respond - do keep copies of everything and send your reply 'tracked postage' (not necessarily the much more expensive guaranteed next day postage) from a local post office so you can prove it was received should you ever need to do so.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, been reading through some of the other threads so am prepared for a possible audit :s.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My partner was wondering if anyone could proof read their draft reply? Would be super helpful, thanks.

DRAFT REPLY:

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I sincerely apologise for traveling on the train without a valid ticket. On XXXXXX I had tapped on the tube to get to Finsbury Park and as there are no barriers connecting Finsbury Park Underground to the National Rail, I walked through without thinking. I realised my error of judgement once on the train and saw the ticket inspector. I did then buy a ticket to St. Neots, but fully appreciate and acknowledge that my failure to purchase a ticket before boarding the train was a mistake.

I have had sleepless nights due to this situation which makes me feel deeply ashamed and really worried about the impact it could have on my future job prospects. I have recently graduated, and I am looking to go into teaching.

I am willing to pay any fine or costs and I am keen to settle this matter outside of court please. I can assure you this will never happen again, and I would be grateful if you could consider my situation.

Best regards,
XXXXXX
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,345
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, been reading through some of the other threads so am prepared for a possible audit :s.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My partner was wondering if anyone could proof read their draft reply? Would be super helpful, thanks.

DRAFT REPLY:

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I sincerely apologise for traveling on the train without a valid ticket. On XXXXXX I had tapped on the tube to get to Finsbury Park and as there are no barriers connecting Finsbury Park Underground to the National Rail, I walked through without thinking. I realised my error of judgement once on the train and saw the ticket inspector. I did then buy a ticket to St. Neots, but fully appreciate and acknowledge that my failure to purchase a ticket before boarding the train was a mistake.

I have had sleepless nights due to this situation which makes me feel deeply ashamed and really worried about the impact it could have on my future job prospects. I have recently graduated, and I am looking to go into teaching.

I am willing to pay any fine or costs and I am keen to settle this matter outside of court please. I can assure you this will never happen again, and I would be grateful if you could consider my situation.

Best regards,
XXXXXX
Not sure if this is the ideal response - if you walked through without thinking then that is a 'genuine error' that you just want to put right - obv I can't speak for your partner but it would seem unlikely to then have sleepless nights / being deeply ashamed about it would it - not until court papers arrived perhaps.

It's either a one off mistake or an error of judgment that conveniently meant you didn't have to pay the correct fare - unlikely to be both, esp if any records that show it might not have happened the once (and you have admitted to occasional short faring in your opening post - so whilst you don't have to talk about it in these replies it is always best to assume they know or might find out if they look)

so I'd be tempted to drop this bit
...as there are no barriers connecting Finsbury Park Underground to the National Rail, I walked through without thinking

Also - I'm not sure I'd mention plans for a specific career in teaching - because some people might argue that if you want to do that then a basic respect for the rules should be a starting point for a career like that (think enforcing the school rules as it were - not the best comparison but you know what I mean....)

Keep it more along the lines of the
"really worried about the impact it could have on my future job prospects."
and leave it at that ie generic

Add something in that assures them this sort of thing is never going to happen again and a clear lesson has been learned

Sorry to sound harsh but I think this needs more work on the draft, but that's not too tricky to do.
 
Last edited:

softboiledegg

New Member
Joined
1 Jun 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Not sure if this is the ideal response - if you walked through without thinking then that is a 'genuine error' that you just want to put right - obv I can't speak for your partner but it would seem unlikely to then have sleepless nights / being deeply ashamed about it would it - not until court papers arrived perhaps.

It's either a one off mistake or an error of judgment that conveniently meant you didn't have to pay the correct fare - unlikely to be both, esp if any records that show it might not have happened the once (and you have admitted to occasional short faring in your opening post - so whilst you don't have to talk about it in these replies it is always best to assume they know or might find out if they look)

so I'd be tempted to drop this bit


Also - I'm not sure I'd mention plans for a specific career in teaching - because some people might argue that if you want to do that then a basic respect for the rules should be a starting point for a career like that (think enforcing the school rules as it were - not the best comparison but you know what I mean....)

Keep it more along the lines of the

and leave it at that ie generic

Add something in that assures them this sort of thing is never going to happen again and a clear lesson has been learned

Sorry to sound harsh but I think this needs more work on the draft, but that's not too tricky to do.
Thanks for the advice. We've written an updated one, would you say this is better?

DRAFT REPLY:


Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I sincerely apologise for traveling on the train without a valid ticket.

On XXXXXX I had tapped on the tube to get to Finsbury Park. I made an error of judgment and walked through to catch the train without buying a ticket first.

After boarding the train I did buy a ticket to St Neots but fully appreciate and acknowledge that I should have purchased a ticket beforehand. This has made me reflect on the consequences my actions can have on the train company, as well as myself. This situation has made me feel deeply ashamed and really worried about the impact it could have on my future job prospects.

I am willing to pay any fine or costs and I am keen to settle this matter outside of court please. I can assure you this will never happen again and I will ensure I always have a valid ticket in future. I would be grateful if you could consider my situation.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
Do not say that you are willing to pay any fine or costs as that isn’t accurate or desirable. Say you are willing to pay the outstanding fare and any administration costs incurred.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,345
Do not say that you are willing to pay any fine or costs as that isn’t accurate or desirable. Say you are willing to pay the outstanding fare and any administration costs incurred.
I too agree with this amendment suggestion.

The rest of the draft looks much better now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top