• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Notice of intent to Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
Hello,

I have read several posts on this forum. Thank you all who post regularly.

I was recently stopped by a ticket inspector and didn’t have the valid ticket. I boarded at Hitchin and purchased a ticket to Stevenage with the intention of travelling to Finsbury Park to join TFL services. This is something I have done quite a few times I am very ashamed to admit. My tickets I would sometimes buy on card and sometimes cash at the station.

I am concerned as two years ago I receive a penalty charge notice when I lost a ticket on the same line.

I have received a notice of prosecution.

I’ve attached a draft of the letter I have sent to them:

I am writing to respond honestly and take full responsibility for my actions.





On Monday 20th October 2025, I was travelling on a Thameslink service from Hitchin to Finsbury Park. I had only purchased a ticket from Hitchin to Stevenage. I understand that the ticket I bought was not valid for the journey I made which was dishonest and wrong.





When I saw ticket inspectors I panicked, saying I had lost my ticket, which was untrue. I subsequently admitted that I had purchased a ticket to Stevenage, providing the inspector with the ticket. I am deeply remorseful of my actions and the time and trouble caused to your staff.





I fully understand why this matter is being treated seriously, and I want to be clear that I deeply regret it and have learned from this. Once I disembarked, I purchased the correct fare, and have purchased full fares for every train ride since, please see documents enclosed. I will never repeat these actions.





I would be extremely grateful if you would consider allowing me to resolve the matter without the need for court proceedings. I appreciate that this is entirely at your discretion, but I would like to offer to pay any administration and investigation costs incurred.





Thank you for allowing me the chance to respond. Please let me know if you are willing to offer an out of court settlement.





Yours faithfully


in your experienced do you think they are likely to offer me a settlement or because I lost my ticket previously 2 years ago are they going to prosecute?

Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Welcome - I think GTR are likely to settle but in a case like this it is worth taking a bit more time to make sure your draft is as good as possible. I’ll look through it and suggest any edits shortly.

They’re unlikely to detect any tickets purchased at a ticket machine but will probably check your app purchasing history and add those to the settlement.

Hitchin to Finsbury Park will be £15.60 each way, no railcard or off-peak discounts, return journeys charged ans 2x singles, and no allowance for the amount you have already paid.

The admin fee will probably be the standard £150 (GTR do seem to charge lower £50 fees in simple one-off cases but this probably isn’t going to be that).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Hello,

I have read several posts on this forum. Thank you all who post regularly.

I was recently stopped by a ticket inspector and didn’t have the valid ticket. I boarded at Hitchin and purchased a ticket to Stevenage with the intention of travelling to Finsbury Park to join TFL services. This is something I have done quite a few times I am very ashamed to admit. My tickets I would sometimes buy on card and sometimes cash at the station.

I am concerned as two years ago I receive a penalty charge notice when I lost a ticket on the same line.

I have received a notice of prosecution.

I’ve attached a draft of the letter I have sent to them:

I am writing to respond honestly and take full responsibility for my actions.





On Monday 20th October 2025, I was travelling on a Thameslink service from Hitchin to Finsbury Park. I had only purchased a ticket from Hitchin to Stevenage. I understand that the ticket I bought was not valid for the journey I made which was dishonest and wrong.





When I saw ticket inspectors I panicked, saying I had lost my ticket, which was untrue. I subsequently admitted that I had purchased a ticket to Stevenage, providing the inspector with the ticket. I am deeply remorseful of my actions and the time and trouble caused to your staff.





I fully understand why this matter is being treated seriously, and I want to be clear that I deeply regret it and have learned from this. Once I disembarked, I purchased the correct fare, and have purchased full fares for every train ride since, please see documents enclosed. I will never repeat these actions.





I would be extremely grateful if you would consider allowing me to resolve the matter without the need for court proceedings. I appreciate that this is entirely at your discretion, but I would like to offer to pay any administration and investigation costs incurred.





Thank you for allowing me the chance to respond. Please let me know if you are willing to offer an out of court settlement.





Yours faithfully


in your experienced do you think they are likely to offer me a settlement or because I lost my ticket previously 2 years ago are they going to prosecute?

Thank you
I’d reduce some of the stuff about the dishonesty etc and shorten that a bit by eg saying something like this. Before continuing with your request to settle the matter out of court etc.

‘I regret that I had not bought a ticket for my complete journey. I now appreciate the seriousness of this matter and seriously regret my error of judgment in not holding a fully valid ticket’.
 

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
Thank you both. I’m hopeful for a settlement but very nervous as have seen posts on this site of people being “known to them”.

Do you think my previous penalty charge notice will make them consider me as known to them?
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I think with one penalty fare two years ago you’ll be fine. We have seen GTR be even more generous than this, I believe they settled with someone with 2 penalty fares and a previous settlement at one point, can’t remember how recent it was.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Thank you both. I’m hopeful for a settlement but very nervous as have seen posts on this site of people being “known to them”.

Do you think my previous penalty charge notice will make them consider me as known to them?
I think you have a strong chance of avoiding court prosecution here. Just need to get your letter as good as it can be and be prepared to pay them a sum they demand which likely won’t be unreasonable.
 

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
Sorry no - it’s a draft I intend to send

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Did you have any further advice before I do send?
 
Last edited:

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Your draft is fairly good but I’ve made some small changes - please read it carefully. You mustn’t miss the deadline they’ve set to respond, but do wait until tomorrow or even longer in case others have feedback.
REFERENCE: [INSERT]

Dear [INSERT],

I am writing in response to your letter dated [INSERT] regarding the incident on 20th October 2025, I was travelling on a Thameslink service from Hitchin to Finsbury Park but had only purchased a ticket from Hitchin to Stevenage. When I saw ticket inspectors I panicked, saying I had lost my ticket, which was untrue. I subsequently admitted that I had purchased a ticket to Stevenage, providing the inspector with the ticket. I am deeply remorseful of my actions and the time and trouble caused to your staff.

I fully understand why this matter is being treated seriously, and I want to be clear that I deeply regret it and have learned from this. Once I disembarked, I purchased the correct fare for the journey I had just made [DELETE IF UNTRUE AND I’VE MISUNDERSTOOD] and have purchased full fares for every train ride since, please see documents enclosed. I will never repeat these actions.

I would be extremely grateful if you would consider allowing me to resolve the matter without the need for court proceedings. I would like to offer to pay fares due and any administration and costs incurred.

Yours faithfully
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,334
Location
Reading
If you did purchase the correct ticket retrospectively, include that ticket with the correspondence as they aren't entitled to double payment!
 

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
Thank you both. I’ll send recorded delivery today with the amendments and will update when I hear back.

Do you know how long they take to respond on average? I’m sure it’s different case by case.
 

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
Hello,
I wanted to see if there were any guidance on how long they may take to respond? My letter arrived on Monday 9th. (I have seen the photo provided by Royal Mail).
Thank you
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Hello,
I wanted to see if there were any guidance on how long they may take to respond? My letter arrived on Monday 9th. (I have seen the photo provided by Royal Mail).
Thank you
Hard to know. Couple of weeks or so maybe.
 

anon669900

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2026
Messages
8
Location
Herts
An update. I have just received an out of court settlement of £75.50.
The letter was dated 11th Feb but only just received today (20th Feb).
Thanks to all for help.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
An update. I have just received an out of court settlement of £75.50.
The letter was dated 11th Feb but only just received today (20th Feb).
Thanks to all for help.
Thanks for the update - hope this resolves it to your satisfaction. When you pay it keep proof of payment and keep that long term - ie over a year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top