• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR letter after witness statement taken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
16 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
London
Hi everyone, I’m looking for some advice on a situation I’ve found myself in.

I was recently stopped by a Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) revenue inspector and provided my details. I had deliberately used the wrong type of railcard when buying tickets through Trainline. I do actually hold a valid 26-30 Railcard, but I selected a different railcard option to get a bigger discount because I’ve been under financial pressure recently. I’ve been supporting someone close to me with severe mental health issues and sending them money weekly, and I wrongly tried to save money this way.

I’ve felt really ashamed about it and didn’t fully explain my situation to the inspector because I was embarrassed. I’ve usually walked or taken the bus, but on certain days when I worked late shifts, I took the train. I understand they may review my Trainline purchase history and I know there are multiple tickets where I wrongly selected a railcard I wasn’t entitled to.

I haven’t received a letter yet but I’m preparing to write a full, honest response. I want to apologise, take responsibility, and offer to pay the fare differences and any reasonable admin costs to avoid court proceedings and a criminal record.

I’ve never had any previous issues like this and would really appreciate any insights — especially on how likely GTR is to settle out of court in a case like this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi, welcome to the forum. People should be here soon to advise.

If that's your postcode as your location, you might want to change it. You don't need to be specific, London is mine.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
GTR is very likely to settle, so long as you cooperate when you receive the letter (ie reply in time), apologise, promise not to do it again, and ask very nicely if they would consider an out of court settlement.

GTR is likely to review your Trainline account, and build in the full fare for each journey where they see you have used the wrong railcard. They won't allow the actual railcard discount you were entitled to, nor offset the money you actually paid - you can consider both of those points part of the penalty that you pay for fare evasion. They will also add an administrative cost of around £150. So as you've done this multiple times it could add up, depending on exactly what your journey was.

I wouldn't worry about not fully explaining your position when stopped. They won't care why you did it - they've probably heard every excuse under the sun by now!
 
Joined
16 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
London
Much appreciated for your response. I've made a record of when and how much i've paid each time which amounts to £18.50
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you've been using a 16-17 or Job Centre Plus Railcard discount?

Legally speaking you've committed a criminal offence but the good news is that GTR will normally offer you an out of court settlement as long as you co-operate with them and haven't come to their attention before. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare avoided at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid tickets you purchased. They will also charge an admin fee, typically £150. It is possible that GTR will search your Trainline history and factor into the settlement fee the cost of any other journeys you've made using an invalid railcard discount.

GTR will write to you in the next few weeks saying that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. WHen the letter comes post a redacted copy of it in this thread along with your draft reply and forum members will proof read it for you.
 
Joined
16 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
London
Heyo - have finally had the letter from Govia Thameslink and was wondering if someone can give a read over my response.

To whom ever it may concern,


I am writing in response to your letter dated 26 November 2025 regarding the incident at City Thameslink.


I would like to be completely honest and express my sincere regret. At the time, I was going through a difficult financial period. I have been supporting someone close to me who has been struggling severely with their mental health, and I have been sending money weekly to help them. This left me in a very strained position, and on the morning of 16 July I made a very poor decision and boarded the train without a valid ticket.


I fully accept responsibility for this. I was embarrassed when speaking to the revenue officer and did not explain myself as clearly as I should have. I now understand the seriousness of the matter, and I am genuinely ashamed of my actions. I assure you this was a lapse in judgement, and it will not happen again.


I am keen to resolve this matter as quickly and constructively as possible. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare and any reasonable administrative costs to settle the matter without it going to court. I rely heavily on my clean record for my current employment, and the impact of a prosecution would be severe.


Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. I hope you will consider allowing me to make amends through settlement. I am fully committed to travelling correctly.


kind regards,
 

Attachments

  • 1000051680.jpg
    1000051680.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 1000051682.jpg
    1000051682.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 49

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,982
Location
Airedale
1. Please include the reference number.

2. While I sympathise with your situation, we generally advise people not to tell "sob stories" - so it would be better to leave out much of the second paragraph.

3. I would also leave out the sentence "I was embarrassed..." in the next paragraph - they aren't prosecuting you over what you said but over what you did.
 
Joined
16 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
London
ive had a response back from them 1765457874905.png

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Could you possibly look over response again

Dear …

Thank you for your letter. I acknowledge your findings regarding multiple instances where I travelled using a ticket that was not valid for the railcard held.

As per my previous letter I take full responsibility for this and I deeply regret these actions. I understand the seriousness of the matter and I am willing to cooperate fully with your investigation.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without court action, if that is possible. I am willing to pay the outstanding fares and any reasonable costs that you consider appropriate.

The dates and times that I have are as follows
1765458001348.png


Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards,
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,325
ive had a response back from them View attachment 193749

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Could you possibly look over response again

Dear …

Thank you for your letter. I acknowledge your findings regarding multiple instances where I travelled using a ticket that was not valid for the railcard held.

As per my previous letter I take full responsibility for this and I deeply regret these actions. I understand the seriousness of the matter and I am willing to cooperate fully with your investigation.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without court action, if that is possible. I am willing to pay the outstanding fares and any reasonable costs that you consider appropriate.

The dates and times that I have are as follows
View attachment 193750


Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards,

Assuming that you're making full disclosure here, that looks like a fairly good response. What we normally see is that the railway want to know that the times that you admit to more or less match the times that they have worked out. If they're more or less the same, that means that (a) you're being honest with them (which they will see as a good sign) and (b) they're not missing out on anything that you should be paying back to them.

You've only just posted this so I'd suggest waiting for other people here to make suggestions (they may have thought of something I've missed, or maybe they'll think I'm wrong) but I think that's good to go.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,132
The incident took place on 16th July; in 5 days time the 6 month limit on bringing a prosecution lapses (unless I can't count) if that is of any relevance.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,325
The incident took place on 16th July; in 5 days time the 6 month limit on bringing a prosecution lapses (unless I can't count) if that is of any relevance.
I don't think you can count: I make it that almost 5 months have passed, rather than almost 6.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top