Hi there,
I've just been through pretty much exactly the same thing.
On 4th November, 2024 I boarded a Themeslink train at St Mary Cray to Farringdon. I forgot to get my ticket before hand and only remembered that I hadn't got one when I was approaching Elephant and Castle. I quickly got one for City Thameslink to Farringdon as that was the only station en route that I could select. My e-ticket wasn't accepted at Farringdon as it wasn't scanned at it's prescribed origin station. It was quite scary: when the lady scanned my ticket it came up red on her machine and she said in a deep voice 'I think this is one for the boys..!'. An inspector then took my details and explanation and issued me a witness statement ticket.
It wasn't until 27 January, 2025 that I received a letter stating intention to prosecute at court (the standard letter). I immediately wrote back with my explanation; apologies and request to settle out of court, taking guidance on how to frame the letter from this forum. I sent it signed-for a couple of days later. After nearly a month of constant, deep worry, (thinking that their slow correspondence was for the worst possible reasons: compiling evidence, CCTV etc.) I emailed gtr.prosecutions@gtrailway.com to ask if they had received my letter and if they had sent a response yet. They immediately emailed back saying that a response had been sent to me on 19th February. I received it today (21st February, see photo attached).
I paid the amount straight away and the matter is now resolved.
It is a dreadful, dreadful feeling when you don't know what an outcome will be. It seems like they would rather just resolve these things out of court if the party concerned is cooperative!
I hope this helps with anyone else going through a similar process.
I've just been through pretty much exactly the same thing.
On 4th November, 2024 I boarded a Themeslink train at St Mary Cray to Farringdon. I forgot to get my ticket before hand and only remembered that I hadn't got one when I was approaching Elephant and Castle. I quickly got one for City Thameslink to Farringdon as that was the only station en route that I could select. My e-ticket wasn't accepted at Farringdon as it wasn't scanned at it's prescribed origin station. It was quite scary: when the lady scanned my ticket it came up red on her machine and she said in a deep voice 'I think this is one for the boys..!'. An inspector then took my details and explanation and issued me a witness statement ticket.
It wasn't until 27 January, 2025 that I received a letter stating intention to prosecute at court (the standard letter). I immediately wrote back with my explanation; apologies and request to settle out of court, taking guidance on how to frame the letter from this forum. I sent it signed-for a couple of days later. After nearly a month of constant, deep worry, (thinking that their slow correspondence was for the worst possible reasons: compiling evidence, CCTV etc.) I emailed gtr.prosecutions@gtrailway.com to ask if they had received my letter and if they had sent a response yet. They immediately emailed back saying that a response had been sent to me on 19th February. I received it today (21st February, see photo attached).
I paid the amount straight away and the matter is now resolved.
It is a dreadful, dreadful feeling when you don't know what an outcome will be. It seems like they would rather just resolve these things out of court if the party concerned is cooperative!
I hope this helps with anyone else going through a similar process.