• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR fare evasion for 5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,278
It is worth the OP being aware, so they can balance it up - that there have been threads on here involving Thameslink where the use of a solicitor has resulted in settlements being agreed quite quickly, including in serious cases and protracted cases of evasion, albeit at a cost as well as the cost of the legal fees. Some of those people have reported that it has prevented a stressful situation getting worse.

The OP can check other threads for examples but this firm has been mentioned (I have no connection with them nor ever used them)

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BD223

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
16
Location
London
Hi all, I know I’ve been gone for awhile. This has been a very long and tumultuous ordeal. I want to thank everybody on this forum for the help and advice. So around 6 weeks ago I received a letter in the post stating that’s GTR wanted to prosecute me. I did however contact the solicitor given the severity of my case and the fact that I had avoided train fare on an industrial scale across 5 and a half months. After contacting the solicitor, I had to create an excel document detailing every single one of my travels. How much I paid and how much I should’ve paid for each journey. Following that was an anxiety filled 6 weeks but I finally received an email that my case has been settled with GTR. And believe you me, I have more than learned my lesson .
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,307
Hi all, I know I’ve been gone for awhile. This has been a very long and tumultuous ordeal. I want to thank everybody on this forum for the help and advice. So around 6 weeks ago I received a letter in the post stating that’s GTR wanted to prosecute me. I did however contact the solicitor given the severity of my case and the fact that I had avoided train fare on an industrial scale across 5 and a half months. After contacting the solicitor, I had to create an excel document detailing every single one of my travels. How much I paid and how much I should’ve paid for each journey. Following that was an anxiety filled 6 weeks but I finally received an email that my case has been settled with GTR. And believe you me, I have more than learned my lesson .
Thanks for letting us know. Not an easy result but better than the railway seeing a prosecution through. And it's very helpful for us to know this to give advice to other people who might be in a similar position.
 

BD223

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
16
Location
London
Thanks for letting us know. Not an easy result but better than the railway seeing a prosecution through. And it's very helpful for us to know this to give advice to other people who might be in a similar position.
Agreed. When I was at the beginning of this ordeal forums such as this one were very helpful and reassuring.
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,235
Hi all, I know I’ve been gone for awhile. This has been a very long and tumultuous ordeal. I want to thank everybody on this forum for the help and advice. So around 6 weeks ago I received a letter in the post stating that’s GTR wanted to prosecute me. I did however contact the solicitor given the severity of my case and the fact that I had avoided train fare on an industrial scale across 5 and a half months. After contacting the solicitor, I had to create an excel document detailing every single one of my travels. How much I paid and how much I should’ve paid for each journey. Following that was an anxiety filled 6 weeks but I finally received an email that my case has been settled with GTR. And believe you me, I have more than learned my lesson .

Thank you for the update. It would be helpful for Forum Members who give advice, if you could give an indication of the solicitors fee you paid and how GTR calculated the sum of money you owed. For example did GTR (a) take into account any of the fares you had paid already (b) charge you the full anytime single for each and every journey or some other fare.

Thank you,
 

BD223

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
16
Location
London
I paid 600 for my solicitor and from comparing the fine I paid to the excel spreadsheet I created. They seemed to have settled for just above the total price that I underpaid. And yes they charged full price for each single way trip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top