bramling
Veteran Member
What about passengers who have travel like medical staff who can’t work from home or students who need to attend their colleges because their college isn’t offering home learning
I fully understand that their are significant staffing issues but the total removal of services to one of London’s main termini is very extreme.
This is one of the reasons their should have been some restrictions as soon as Omicron was found to protect those working in the public sector so that services could be continued
This saga does reinforce my view that today's railway is very fragile regarding service re-arrangement. It is now far too common to see buses put on to replace trains when anything goes wrong and even planned well in advance because it's now just too hard to re-arrange the railway even where physical route options exist. I'm NOT saying that this is necessarily the case here, as clearly C19 poses problems not previously experienced in modern times. However, I really would have thought an East Croydon to Victoria 12-car regular shuttle service SHOULD be possible and achievable even with severe staff absences on an otherwise virtually empty four-track railway, and is only thwarted by the vast complexity of staffing that has built up, particularly as a result of privatisation.
On the other hand, I fully expect to see severe semi-permanent cuts to the railway as a whole, forcing huge numbers of people into cars and direcrly contradicting Johnson's promnise of a green recovery from C19.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Quite, but I can see an exodus from the railway being a very realisitic possibility as services are slashed and not re-instated, especially as this government continues to favour roads and airlines in its budgets and strategies, despite trying to pass itself off as a 'green' one.
An exodus from the railway is a very real risk now, in places at least.
In my case I’ve all but abandoned rail travel now, and to be honest I can’t see myself coming back any time soon. This is for a combination of reasons:
* Unsatisfactory trains
* Unsatisfactory timetables
* Unsatisfactory reliability
* Increasingly drossy clientele
For many users one could add
* Expensive fares
* Masks
What is unfortunate is pretty much all of this is down to the way the railway is nowadays seemingly run by politicians.
There really is little incentive to want to travel by rail at the moment. It’s been made a complete distress purchase.
