• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grove Park light railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Since starting at this depot I have often thought the drivers lengthy walks could be aided by a minature railway in the yard up to the station! Joking aside I have two questions

1) There was a narrow gauge railway built in the 20's to assist the construction of the nearby Downham estate-are there any remains or bits of rolling stock left, & where did it join the main line?

2)Did any rail depots have narrow gauge railways for the movement of staff (as opposed to the movement of equipment e.g Horwich)

Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Found this pic online but can't really place where it is? It also looks standard gauge- I suspect ex WW1 narrow gauge field railway equipment was used in the construction areas.

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0014/305060/under-construction-01584-750.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I'm sure your suspicions are right. Andrew Hajducki's book "The Railways of Beckenham" has a section on the Bethlem Hospital project which had the same combination. In fact it could even have been the same stock?

I'm pretty sure the photo is taken N of Grove Park, looking over towards Hither Green Cemetery, in which case the bracket signal would be for the Bromley North branch platform, but not sure how far N as the area has changed a great deal in the 30 years since I moved away, let alone since Downham was built. Somewhere opposite the southernmost car shed?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top