The later southeastern services from Charing Cross are often standing only. I've had a time when once was curtailed at new Cross due to a fault. The amount of people on the platform was insane. The next train was so full some people couldn't get on. Not ideal at midnight. The platform crowding, train at crush capacity, and people left behind with a long wait due to infrequent late night services was worse than rush hour. Even before the issue the train was busier than most rush hour services leaving central London.
When will authorities realise that London is a major world city and last trains are terrible for the London late night economy?
So they may have to put on more staff, or even risk people not paying, but the wider economy will benefit so much more with people being able to stay out and spend.
Southeastern's consultation for the next 4 years of the franchise has just ended. Let's hope later trains on Friday and Saturday appear on some routes - just 30 minutes to an hour would be a start. I fear the London Bridge rebuilding may hamper that which would be fair enough, but if a way can be found I hope it's taken.
When will authorities realise that London is a major world city and last trains are terrible for the London late night economy?
So they may have to put on more staff, or even risk people not paying, but the wider economy will benefit so much more with people being able to stay out and spend.
Southeastern's consultation for the next 4 years of the franchise has just ended. Let's hope later trains on Friday and Saturday appear on some routes - just 30 minutes to an hour would be a start. I fear the London Bridge rebuilding may hamper that which would be fair enough, but if a way can be found I hope it's taken.
Last edited:
