• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby Pacer's Trip to North Yorkshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Hi, I'd thought I'll share my recent holiday trip on here.

We had half the extended family at a holiday home up in Filey and I had to swap places with my brother so the pets are looked after at home. The National Rail Enquiries site said it was £99! for a Grimsby to Filey ticket, I couldn't believe that, so I got the Humber Flyer to Hull which got held up by roadworks near Barnetby, instead (under £9 return) and got a £16 return ticket from Hull. I found Hull station to need alot more benches on the platform. Anyway the train arrived ontime and I arrived in Filey to see my relatives, my brother got me Star Trek figures from an awesome toyshop in the town I'll recommend.

But on the train, I think I saw old platforms at various points such as North of Driffield, a Yorkshire Coast Line map at Filey showed closed stations, but none there. Any idea what they are for (freight)?

Anyway we then ate at TJ's who serve meals on wood boards annoyingly, but the food is alright. Then to Filey Beach, very steep incline for me and my Mum (who uses a chair), I made a sand Starship NX01, car, cat, & train. The others enjoyed the very nice beach, but it wasn't possible for my poor Mum to get onto the beach thanks to bumpy cobbles. It was very hard to push her uphill again, my sister saved the day.

We had ice-cream at the top, and went to the toyshop before me and my Mum went to the bus station for our hourly bus. The 121 came in slightly late but already had a wheelchair users, the driver then said we could get on if I fold the chair and kick Mum out, so I paid and did that... but then he turned round and said it's against Health and Safety and told us to get off, the evil bus driver stole my £2 bus fare leaving us stranded :( . We got to the house thanks to my brother in law driving all the way back.

The next day the family was split, some wanted Peasholm Park in Scarborough, some wanted Pickering for the railway. We eventually all went for the North York Moors Railway, it was awkward for Mum to buy a ticket but we got on swell thanks to very helpful staff (at Hull no one helped her onboard when she was with my brother, which makes my blood boil!). We got a stream train to Whitby, it was perfect and fun, we were popping heads out the window at times. Nice forrest scenary I have to say. At Levisham we were slightly delayed by the dining train headed the other way, and at Grosmont a Deltic took over to some people's disappointment, but not mine, I like Class 55s.

Whitby was sunny, we noted the "199" steps were rebuilt, got some chips, alot went to the gulls. Tide was in so no beach on the westside. Swingbridge opened and let three boats past, then after my sister finished her Dracular stuff we ran for the station, traffic was gridlocked for ages blocking the road. We got to the station just in time but didn't know where another part of the family were, the dillema, miss the train or not? Luckily we noticed them strait after and boarded.
I initially assumed it was the same train, but discovered it was a Class 37 at Pickering, my Niece was allowed in the cab.

Although this would be at half past six in the evening, my sister in law had the strange idea of looking around the town's shops, very steep hill, and all but Co-Op were closed. We returned to holiday house.
Later that night I went to Scarborough with my Sister's group. The aim was to play Tipping Point at 2pence machines, I hate gambling in every way, I was the only one with profit though as I was extremely carefull on picking machines. My sister won a Talking Plush Yoda from a claw grabber machine, but it didn't actually talk which is misleading.
I'd recomment the 4D arcade games and air hockey as they were fun.

The next day I went to Scarborough on the bus with my Mum, went to the Central Tramway as it's an old favourite of ours, but it's now 90p a ride, what a rip off! At the bottom we were lucky enough to catch the only low floor Shoreline Suncruisers bus to the North bay, the driverwas very helpful in giving us the times for his particular bus.
I noted the lifeboat station is nearly finished, but there's a family dispute over whether it looks like the old one or not.

At Northbay my Brother in law was dissapointed to learn that the shooting range (formally a mini tank course, a water park etc etc) has yet again shut down so we got nice hot chocolates at the corner. Then off to the station near Peasholm Park, we missed the train with 'Norbett' a giant bear on. I found it hard to believe the Northbay Railway engines are over 80 years old and in such good condition, I was allowed on the engine Triton by the nice engine driver! :)

After getting back it was upto the Dragon Boats and we started some piracy, raiding other boats, towing and spinning others, it was very fun.
Sadly no one helped my Mum up the hill so she was stuck at the waterside areas.

Again we all went home. The next day we had to tidy the house before we left, and my niece wanted to feed the horses as we were allowed too according to a note. I took her around there and I felt very embarrassed and awkward as she was fasinated by one horse's "massive dangler" as she called it, she didn't feed much to the other one she giggled had a tiny one. Anyway we went to the holiday home finnished packing and cleaning. Me and my Mum went for the bus to Filey again, we got on fine, but this bus had a robotic arm that locked my Mum's wheelchair in place, Quantum Automatic Wheelchair Securement it was called, very interesting, although it was troublesome for the driver to park her and let her off without wasting time, I think it's a nice idea that could be tweaked a bit to become very handy

Filey is an unmanned station so the guard had to help us, he did, the train filled past full after Bridlington and was chronically overcrowed at Beverley. We had time so visited Hull which is this year's City of Roadworks, it's a mess sadly, we found bargains such as 5p computer games, the bumps the builders have made are annoying (flat then tarmac bump then flat etc.). We then got the bus home and that's it.

What did you think of my trip report?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Here's some of my pictures.
 

Attachments

  • 2016-08-07_15.43.26.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.43.26.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2016-08-07_15.44.03.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.44.03.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2016-08-07_15.44.52.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.44.52.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2016-08-07_15.45.19.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.45.19.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2016-08-07_15.46.23.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.46.23.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2016-08-07_15.46.54.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.46.54.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2016-08-07_15.47.26.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.47.26.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2016-08-07_15.48.12.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.48.12.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2016-08-07_15.48.35.jpg
    2016-08-07_15.48.35.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 23

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Sounded like a good few days in North East Yorkshire :)

They were very good! Loved every minute.
It was also nice to meet up with the Nottingham branch of the family (sister in law's) as I rarely see them.
I was very lucky with the weather, no rain lots of sun :)

Good to be home though as always.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Sorry it's taken me a while to get to your trip report, which I enjoyed reading. Been a busy few days where time has not been on my side!

Well harsh on that one bus journey where you got turfed off! The securing arm on the other bus sounded rather clever that's for sure, not a feature I've ever heard of on buses, trains or anywhere else before.

Overall it sounded like rather good fun, albeit expensive with arcades etc in the mix!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
90p for transport and 5p for video games? I'm moving up north..! :lol:

Your enthusiasm is great - glad you enjoyed the trains, and the pictures are not bad at all :)

It's not good that you had such poor service on some buses - this shouldn't happen at all these days. Have you considered getting in touch with them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
I won't bother making an official complaint, in hindsight I guess the bus driver was running a little late and simply forgot a refund, I can't recall the precise times either and I don't have the ticket as I was helping my Mum on and off and moving a folded wheelchair, my hands were full. Like I said my brother in law came to the rescue so it wasn't that bad.

The securing arm was new to me too, I only saw it on that one double decker, it came with leaflets with the name info.

90p for a 30 second tram trip which was 40p a few years ago isn't cheap.
The Central Tramway is a must-use in the area though.
Thanks for the nice comments :)
 

HullMichael

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
33
There are many long-closed stations on the Hull-Scarborough line with several of the platforms still visible.

North of Beverley there was Lockington.
North of Driffield there were Lowthorpe, Burton Agnes and Carnaby.
North of Bridlington there were Flamborough, Speeton and the branch to Filey Holiday Camp.
North of Filey there were Gristhorpe and Cayton.
Just south of Scarborough station there was Londesborough Road (which of course also served the Whitby and York lines).
 

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,401
Location
Humberside
We had time so visited Hull which is this year's City of Roadworks, it's a mess sadly, we found bargains such as 5p computer games, the bumps the builders have made are annoying (flat then tarmac bump then flat etc.). We then got the bus home and that's it.
I know. About the roadworks. It's a bloomin' mess and it's becoming a nightmare. I have firsthand experience, due to fact I am in Hull city centre every day. And also, the new pavements that have been laid already have chewing gum on them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I found Hull station to need alot more benches on the platform.
Yes. IMHO Hull station needs completely rebuilding, remodelling and the services need re-scheduling and improving.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Good read GrimsbyPacer. Took me back as we used to have a caravan in Filey when I was all but a wee nipper in the late 70's.

Filey is also the location where I nearly lost my life. Seriously! There was a level crossing and I had not heard the oncoming train, so stupidly didn't look. It was only my mum's quick actions in literally yanking me back that saved my life. The train stopped further down the track and a very angry driver marched down the track and had a go at me and my already crying mum.

Not long after that particular trip I was in Bradford Royal Infirmary having my adenoids out.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Thankgod your mum saved you, that sounds like a very close call.
I hope it didn't put you off Filey as it's still nice there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top