• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grid reference to ELR mileage converter - anyone seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddyo

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Has anyone come across a tool for converting grid references to ELR mileage? I do ECoW work on possessions and I've been spending ages cross-referencing the Sectional Appendix with MAGIC map to work out mileage for site briefings.

Found this the other day - https://railref.vercel.app/ - you put in an OS grid ref (or lat/long, DMS etc) and it gives you the nearest ELR and mileage in miles and chains. Works the other way round too, so you can put in an ELR and mileage and get the grid ref back.

Uses GeoFurlong data apparently. Been using it lately and it's quicker than anything else I've tried. Free trial if anyone wants a look.

Anyone know of anything similar or better?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 21
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddyo

New Member
Joined
12 Mar 2026
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Thanks! I think the Speed Restriction Database shows restrictions by ELR/mileage but doesn’t do the conversion from grid refs the other way round? As I’m on the contractor side I don’t have access to NR’s internal systems. This one has been a handy find, as it works from a browser. Makes it easy when I’m working from home on reports etc
 

RailwayRookie

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2023
Messages
288
Location
Norfolk
I only remember it has a 'right click, show nearest ELR, option from the top of my head. But thats anywhere on the map and not just around ESR/TSRs. But thats obviously a moot point if you dont have access.

It looks like what you have there may then be the next best thing though
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top