• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greenhithe delays - "drivers cab being shot at"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
Later in the twitter, there's mention of it being an "air gun". There's also a picture of a broken window, looks like typical damage from a .22 air rifle pellet to me.
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
Sadly not uncommon on the railways, especially during school holidays (It is currently half term). The Moorgate line was shut one evening a few years back after practice 2 trains were shot at between Drayton park and Finsbury Park.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Sadly not uncommon on the railways, especially during school holidays (It is currently half term). The Moorgate line was shut one evening a few years back after practice 2 trains were shot at between Drayton park and Finsbury Park.

Probably just some little darlings trick or treating:roll:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
It's nice to see that seemingly everyone on Twitter is being understanding as well as asking if the driver is okay. Makes a nice change from the usual torrent of abuse that follows delays...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Thank god the little kiddies go back to daycare, sorry school, next week.

Sadly the kids in question won't be caught
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Thank god the little kiddies go back to daycare, sorry school, next week.

Sadly the kids in question won't be caught

I know it's not even in the same league, but we've got a serious problem right now near where I live with bus stop glass being smashed. Someone appears to have got a hammer from a bus/coach and goes around popping the corner of bus shelter glass.

There are probably now approaching 40 panels smashed since the summer (covering about 10 different stops). Possibly more, as I obviously can't see them all and some may get fixed before I even notice. I've been in Berlin for 24 hours and came back to another glass pane smashed, so that's about one bus stop being hit every few days.

I spoke to someone who witnessed two lads (14-16 years old) 'popping' one, but because he fears they saw him, he won't report it to the police. I emailed the police officer who supposedly patrols this area to ask about increasing patrols, and didn't even get a reply!

Ultimately, the police have next to no chance of catching people doing this sort of thing unless they get real lucky. But I hope that if the police are contacted, they will at least make some attempt to show interest in the case of a train being shot at.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
I know it's not even in the same league, but we've got a serious problem right now near where I live with bus stop glass being smashed. Someone appears to have got a hammer from a bus/coach and goes around popping the corner of bus shelter glass.

There are probably now approaching 40 panels smashed since the summer (covering about 10 different stops). Possibly more, as I obviously can't see them all and some may get fixed before I even notice. I've been in Berlin for 24 hours and came back to another glass pane smashed, so that's about one bus stop being hit every few days.

I spoke to someone who witnessed two lads (14-16 years old) 'popping' one, but because he fears they saw him, he won't report it to the police. I emailed the police officer who supposedly patrols this area to ask about increasing patrols, and didn't even get a reply!

Ultimately, the police have next to no chance of catching people doing this sort of thing unless they get real lucky. But I hope that if the police are contacted, they will at least make some attempt to show interest in the case of a train being shot at.

And they're still replacing them with fresh glass, not perspex?!!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
And they're still replacing them with fresh glass, not perspex?!!

Yup. Well, some small panels have gone perspex but the rest glass. And many panels have been hit again.

The perspex ones can be kicked out with enough force. I suspect eventually they'll need to go with solid panels.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,476
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Yup. Well, some small panels have gone perspex but the rest glass. And many panels have been hit again.

The perspex ones can be kicked out with enough force. I suspect eventually they'll need to go with solid panels.

I remember quite a number of years ago in the Manchester area that certain bus stops with glass breakage problems, then had bus stops with solid metal panelling installed and no windows of any type.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,948
Location
Fenny Stratford

happens on a regular basis sadly
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know it's not even in the same league, but we've got a serious problem right now near where I live with bus stop glass being smashed. Someone appears to have got a hammer from a bus/coach and goes around popping the corner of bus shelter glass.

There are probably now approaching 40 panels smashed since the summer (covering about 10 different stops). Possibly more, as I obviously can't see them all and some may get fixed before I even notice. I've been in Berlin for 24 hours and came back to another glass pane smashed, so that's about one bus stop being hit every few days.

I spoke to someone who witnessed two lads (14-16 years old) 'popping' one, but because he fears they saw him, he won't report it to the police. I emailed the police officer who supposedly patrols this area to ask about increasing patrols, and didn't even get a reply!

Ultimately, the police have next to no chance of catching people doing this sort of thing unless they get real lucky. But I hope that if the police are contacted, they will at least make some attempt to show interest in the case of a train being shot at.

This happened on my schools bus all the time 25 years ago - hell we even once moshed an emergency door window out whole including rubber seals! It was like the wild West at times - nothing new - the "rough kids" would nick the hammers break out the tip and then try to break up the metal
 

TailLight

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
26
I know it's not even in the same league, but we've got a serious problem right now near where I live with bus stop glass being smashed. Someone appears to have got a hammer from a bus/coach and goes around popping the corner of bus shelter glass.

There are probably now approaching 40 panels smashed since the summer (covering about 10 different stops). Possibly more, as I obviously can't see them all and some may get fixed before I even notice. I've been in Berlin for 24 hours and came back to another glass pane smashed, so that's about one bus stop being hit every few days.

I spoke to someone who witnessed two lads (14-16 years old) 'popping' one, but because he fears they saw him, he won't report it to the police. I emailed the police officer who supposedly patrols this area to ask about increasing patrols, and didn't even get a reply!

Ultimately, the police have next to no chance of catching people doing this sort of thing unless they get real lucky. But I hope that if the police are contacted, they will at least make some attempt to show interest in the case of a train being shot at.

Such scum is the reason why we can't have nice things! Look at the amount of yellow tinted plastic that has replaced glass on bus shelters in the UK. It looks horrible, but no one can smash it.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Yes, but funnily enough I actually reported to the driver earlier this week that a hammer on the bus (that often goes through the estate/business park where all the damage is occurring) was missing, so it may well have come from there.

The driver logged it but I wonder if it will be replaced anytime soon?
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
982
I remember quite a number of years ago in the Manchester area that certain bus stops with glass breakage problems, then had bus stops with solid metal panelling installed and no windows of any type.

Puts me in mind of Duddeston station, where the glass/plastic in the platform shelter has been replaced with a fine metal mesh. Dudley Port too, I think.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top