• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Green Express Railtours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Anyone know what has happened to Green Express Railtours?

Have they given up? They said last year that they would run tours in 2011, but no updates on the website for 8 months or so.

I hope they run a few trips as they were excellent. Had a brilliant day out to Glasgow last year with them 8-).

Any news????
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
Anyone know what has happened to Green Express Railtours?

Have they given up? They said last year that they would run tours in 2011, but no updates on the website for 8 months or so.

I hope they run a few trips as they were excellent. Had a brilliant day out to Glasgow last year with them 8-).

Any news????

I went on quite a few of these tours last year, went to Stratford on Avon/Oxford, Edigngburgh, Dundee and Dawlish.
Always very well organised and well run by West Coast Railway crews and Class 47s.
All trains were T and T. Had 2 failures 1 at Birmingham and the other on the ECML a short distance from York.
i was amazed at the performances of the 47's on these runs.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
I went on quite a few of these tours last year, went to Stratford on Avon/Oxford, Edigngburgh, Dundee and Dawlish.
Always very well organised and well run by West Coast Railway crews and Class 47s.
All trains were T and T. Had 2 failures 1 at Birmingham and the other on the ECML a short distance from York.
i was amazed at the performances of the 47's on these runs.

Do you know if they are doing anything this year? I have heard nothing.
 

Darrylbk

New Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
2
Location
I live in West Yorkshire
Anyone know what has happened to Green Express Railtours?

Have they given up? They said last year that they would run tours in 2011, but no updates on the website for 8 months or so.

I hope they run a few trips as they were excellent. Had a brilliant day out to Glasgow last year with them 8-).

Any news????

We wrote to them in January 2011 and asked for details of this years tours and we recieved a photocopied note saying after 21 years they were having a rest and not organising any for this year. We were disapointed as you said they are brilliant, its just a pity that it seems to have come to an abrupt end.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
We wrote to them in January 2011 and asked for details of this years tours and we recieved a photocopied note saying after 21 years they were having a rest and not organising any for this year. We were disapointed as you said they are brilliant, its just a pity that it seems to have come to an abrupt end.

That is a pity. Like you say, a bit abrupt too. Leaves a gap in the market for mk1 hauled tours from Yorkshire.

Wonder if Green Party of Kirklees doing any trips?

Thanks for letting me know anyway - first I have been able to find out!
 

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
That is a pity. Like you say, a bit abrupt too. Leaves a gap in the market for mk1 hauled tours from Yorkshire.

Wonder if Green Party of Kirklees doing any trips?

Thanks for letting me know anyway - first I have been able to find out!

I have worked quite a few Green Charters as Guard before Nick(Green Express Boss. ) had problems at Carnforth.
He always treated the train crew to cup of tea and fish and chips at the destination.
A few years ago I was booked on to work a returning Scottish Charter from York back over the Lanky to Rochdale.
When me and Dick Morton( RIP) the driver got to York everything was stopped as there was a security problem at Newcastle. and trains were running alot late.
Me and Dick passed away the time on number 5 Platform at York, watching the comings and goings.
I contacted EWS control and informed them of the situation re latness, and we decided to stop and wait for the Green Charter as long as it took.
Railtrack kept all the signal boxes open over the Lanky so that we could deliver the passengers home with no problem.
The train was a couple of hours late at york.
We got to Rochdale without a problem and we were taken off by West Coast Railway crew.
One of the helpers on the train gave me and Dick a ride from Rochdale back to The Mill.
All the passengers were happy, so was the Nick who runs Green Charters so a good time was had by all.
I would just like to say that the Driver Richard Morton passed away some months ago. This man was an Healey Mills Man all his service and was well liked by everyone that met him. One of lifes gentleman, we wil all miss him.
 

Darrylbk

New Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
2
Location
I live in West Yorkshire
That is a pity. Like you say, a bit abrupt too. Leaves a gap in the market for mk1 hauled tours from Yorkshire.

Wonder if Green Party of Kirklees doing any trips?

Thanks for letting me know anyway - first I have been able to find out!

Green Express did all the spadework for Huddersfield Greens. So I can't see anything happening but I might be wrong.

There is somebody called retrorailtours, they are doing a trip to Southend in late May according to their website www.retrorailtours.co.uk
 

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
Its now official, that Green Express will not be doing anymore charters.
I spoke to Nick who organised these trains today at 12:15.
This is a real blow to many people who rode with these trains over the years.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Its now official, that Green Express will not be doing anymore charters.
I spoke to Nick who organised these trains today at 12:15.
This is a real blow to many people who rode with these trains over the years.

What real shame. Has he just had enough of doing it? Hope all's well with him and he's packed it in for good reasons.

He might have a change of heart (hopefully)!

Pity there isn't anybody to take over the mantle at Green Express.


Good Luck to Nick and team - you've put on some great trips over the years and made a lot of people happy :).
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Green Express did all the spadework for Huddersfield Greens. So I can't see anything happening but I might be wrong.

There is somebody called retrorailtours, they are doing a trip to Southend in late May according to their website www.retrorailtours.co.uk

You will find some of those involved in Retro have previously worked on Green Express tours. The trip to Southend is on Saturday 28th May and coincides with Southend Air Show - I belive full details should be up on the website in the next day or so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top