• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greek Street bridge replacement Stockport

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,370
Yes, exactly my point. There may not be room for a 5th line but removal of that centre pier gives track designers of the future a blank sheet of paper for crossover etc locations.
I would be very surprised if they spent time and money on digging up a huge concrete bridge pier. I'm sure it will be very solid and if there isn't an immediate need for the space, I'm certain NR wouldn't invest in this way...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,761
Location
Nottingham
If the new bridge spans right across, the pier is redundant. Any part of it that's not dug out as part of the bridge replacement can be dug out later if the space it occupies is ever needed for something else.
 

furnessvale

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2015
Messages
4,914
If the new bridge spans right across, the pier is redundant. Any part of it that's not dug out as part of the bridge replacement can be dug out later if the space it occupies is ever needed for something else.
Thank you for being the only contributor to understand what I was saying.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,370
Thank you for being the only contributor to understand what I was saying.
Not the only one, what you said is obvious, but I was thinking of the practicalities of digging out a huge slab sometime in the future when it is under the wires and effectively in a tunnel...
I meant that although it would easier now, I couldn't imagine NR putting that investment in against a faintly-possible need sometime in the future.
 

Nottingham59

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2019
Messages
3,354
Location
Nottingham
Not the only one, what you said is obvious, but I was thinking of the practicalities of digging out a huge slab sometime in the future when it is under the wires and effectively in a tunnel...
I meant that although it would easier now, I couldn't imagine NR putting that investment in against a faintly-possible need sometime in the future.
The NR video in post #1 shows the central support being removed at 4m00s (down to just above the level of the ballast), which I why I asked about the scope for realigning the track layout. (Which, BTW, already has five tracks under the bridge itself).
 

p1ash

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2011
Messages
23
I heard that the bridge replacement would facilitate space for installation of a metrolink track…presumably from removal of the pier?
 

Chester1

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
4,443
I heard that the bridge replacement would facilitate space for installation of a metrolink track…presumably from removal of the pier?

It would but the other option is running tracks across the new round about itself rather below. There hasn't been any progress on Metrolink to Stockport for a while.
 

Rail Ranger

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
1,173
This may already be widely known, but I have seen a Manchester Evening News article from December 2024 which says that the replacement of the Stockholm Road bridge over the Chester line in Stockport, which had been due to take place at the same time as the Greek Street bridge replacement, has been deferred to a later date.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,174
Location
Wilmslow
Bus services changes leaflet:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

We live in Stockport. My wife works literally at the end of Greek Street, on the A6. Will buses terminate each side of the A6?
See attachment.
 

Attachments

  • Greek Street Bridge replacement changes to bus services from 31 .pdf
    643.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2015
Messages
1,996
The TL:DR is that

* The 11,368 and 374 will continue further along the A6, turning down Longshut Lane West instead of greek street.
* The 312 and 313 will run via picadilly and hillgate before heading down Longshut Lane West.
* The 309/310 will avoid the A6 entirely and run through edgely in both directions to/from the bus station.
 

CHAPS2034

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2018
Messages
651
The TL:DR is that

* The 11,368 and 374 will continue further along the A6, turning down Longshut Lane West instead of greek street.
* The 312 and 313 will run via picadilly and hillgate before heading down Longshut Lane West.
All the other traffic will use Longshut Lane West too where the lights only let about 6-10 vehicles out onto / across the A6 at each change!
 
Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2015
Messages
4,914
All the other traffic will use Longshut Lane West too where the lights only let about 6-10 vehicles out onto / across the A6 at each change!
They can alter the phasing. They certainly did this at the A6-Albion Rd junction in New Mills during recent road works.
 

CHAPS2034

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2018
Messages
651
They can alter the phasing. They certainly did this at the A6-Albion Rd junction in New Mills during recent road works.

I did hear that some work was being carried out at this junction this week to reduce delays, so maybe they have done that, although I got the impression it was some physical work. Or maybe both.
 

plugwash

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2015
Messages
1,996
Was on a 313 just now and the driver did not seem to have got the memo about the diversion, neither did the bus in front of us (a 309 I think). Both headed down greek street and had to turn round because of the road closure.
 

CHAPS2034

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2018
Messages
651
Was on a 313 just now and the driver did not seem to have got the memo about the diversion, neither did the bus in front of us (a 309 I think). Both headed down greek street and had to turn round because of the road closure.

I thought the closure started tomorrow (31st) as this is what all the public notices are saying. Sounds like someone has started a couple of hours early!

From tracking various buses, it seems the road was closed about 10pm. Let's hope that they can reopen it earlier than planned too!
 

Thomas6187

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
444
Location
Rochdale
It appears that Northern are going to take over East Midlands's slots over the August block. Two services in the morning starting at Liverpool Lime Street, with the rest starting at Piccadilly, non stop Piccadilly to Sheffield.
 

luvchocolate

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2023
Messages
8
Location
Huddersfield
I travel to Stockport from Huddersfield weekly to visit Grandchildren..fortunately I can go Piccadilly to Gatley...really wish the airport train still stopped at Gatley.
A direct train would be brilliant
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,174
Location
Wilmslow
I travel to Stockport from Huddersfield weekly to visit Grandchildren..fortunately I can go Piccadilly to Gatley...really wish the airport train still stopped at Gatley.
A direct train would be brilliant
There’s an hourly service Gatley-Piccadilly non-stop, going subsequently to Barrow at xx.34. But if you mean to Stockport, fair enough.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,313
I travel to Stockport from Huddersfield weekly to visit Grandchildren..fortunately I can go Piccadilly to Gatley...really wish the airport train still stopped at Gatley.
A direct train would be brilliant
One change not too bad, surely? From Gatley, you can get to/from Barrow-in-Furness (SuX), Blackpool North, Crewe (SuX), Liverpool Lime Street and Windermere (SuX) on direct trains, as well as to Manchester Airport + Manchester Piccadilly. Think Huddersfield to Gatley (direct + hourly) is currently still possible on a Sunday.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
It appears that Northern are going to take over East Midlands's slots over the August block. Two services in the morning starting at Liverpool Lime Street, with the rest starting at Piccadilly, non stop Piccadilly to Sheffield.
Yes, I've been having a look at the times on RTT - the Northern stopper leaves five minutes after the non stop Northern service, then the TPE service to Clee leaves 25 minutes later, and nearly catches the stopper by Sheffield. Lots more traffic than usual through New Mills Central!
 

33109

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
205
No chance at all, it will take the junction out.
That'll mean no weekly parliamentary service from stockport - stalybridge through reddish south & denton.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Some spare lengths of rail lying in the four foot at macclesfield. Presumably these are for somewhere on the section to kidsgrove?
 

Attachments

  • IMG20250614100901~2.jpg
    IMG20250614100901~2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

Rail Ranger

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
1,173
A leaflet has appeared (attached) with details of service changes during the Stockport blockade (from 2nd to 22nd August (inclusive)). The additional Northern fast service between Piccadilly and Sheffield will only run on Monday to Friday. Crewing difficulties at weekends? Rail tickets will be valid on Metrolink between Altrincham and Manchester City Centre.
 

Attachments

  • stockport shut down 2 (3).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • stockport shutdown 1 (1) (4).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 70

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,746
A leaflet has appeared (attached) with details of service changes during the Stockport blockade (from 2nd to 22nd August (inclusive)). The additional Northern fast service between Piccadilly and Sheffield will only run on Monday to Friday. Crewing difficulties at weekends? Rail tickets will be valid on Metrolink between Altrincham and Manchester City Centre.
Northern are replacing the EMR service which isnt running.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,523
Location
Northern England
A leaflet has appeared (attached) with details of service changes during the Stockport blockade (from 2nd to 22nd August (inclusive)). The additional Northern fast service between Piccadilly and Sheffield will only run on Monday to Friday. Crewing difficulties at weekends? Rail tickets will be valid on Metrolink between Altrincham and Manchester City Centre.
I'm glad to see they've arranged ticket acceptance on TfGM buses, but the list of routes is a bit strange. In particular:

378 Stockport - Bramhall - Heald Green - Cheadle Hulme
378A Stockport - Davenport - Bramhall - Cheadle Hulme
The 378 route is actually circular, Stockport - Bramhall - Heald Green - Cheadle Hulme - Bramhall - Stockport. It has a counterpart which goes round the loop the other way, numbered 379, which is not on the list. So their list implies that you can use this route in one direction only?!?

The 378A is an evening/Sunday version of the 378, which is identical except that it turns back once it reaches the edge of Cheadle Hulme, cutting off the loop through Heald Green. In fact the 378 and 378A (and indeed 379!) all serve Davenport, so I'm not sure why they suggest that the 378 doesn't.

42C Handforth Dean - Heald Green - Cheadle - Piccadilly Gardens
This one is even more bizarre. The 42C doesn't really replace any of the affected routes, but all other variants of the 42 do: they connect Stockport (42), Heaton Chapel (42A) or Bramhall (42B) to central Manchester.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,761
Location
Nottingham
There does seem a great difference in time allowances for the rail blockade and the vehicular Greek Street roundabout traffic flows. Why such a time difference?
I'm assuming the road closure is a lot longer. That will be because while they remove the road and relocate all the utilities, road traffic can't operate but the railway still can. There is then a much shorter period when the railway is closed to demolish the structure and erect the replacement, after which the railway can re-open but the road has to stay closed while they put everything back on top.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,489
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I'm assuming the road closure is a lot longer. That will be because while they remove the road and relocate all the utilities, road traffic can't operate but the railway still can. There is then a much shorter period when the railway is closed to demolish the structure and erect the replacement, after which the railway can re-open but the road has to stay closed while they put everything back on top.
From what I was told, the rail closure was approximately one month, but the roundabout was to be closed for twelve months.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
From what I was told, the rail closure was approximately one month, but the roundabout was to be closed for twelve months.
That’s not an unusual ratio really. The work last Christmas just outside St Pancras on the MML, (Agar Grove deck), was somewhat similar, a road bridge over 5 or 6 tracks supporting a busy road junction, all packed with utilities. I think that was about 9 days rail closure and about 7 months of varying road closures, crane rigging and derigging etc etc.

The thread is here if you haven’t seen it before, includes some interesting drone video coverage:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top