• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greek Ferries - Patra to Corfu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
266
It's notoriously difficult to get accurate, up-to-date info on Greek ferry timetables and fares and I haven't been able to find anything definitive on this route.

There appear to be ferries from Patra to Italy which call at Corfu but I can't find any sites that will offer a fare, suggesting that it's not valid as a domestic route. The journey would probably be in July.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,245
The man in seat61 suggests directferries.co.uk. Bari, Corfu, and Patras are all mentionned.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,190
Location
Wilmslow
The thrice weekly service Patras to Brindisi and v.v. operated by Grimaldi Lines, calls en-route at Igoumenitsa on the mainland rather than Corfu - Igoumenitsa has taken over now as the main Greek entry port for Italian traffic with a new, fast motorway connection and a shorter sea crossing. Igoumenitsa - Brindisi operates daily.

http://www.minoan.it/en/routes-fares-timetable-minoan-lines/timetable-ferries-brindisi-greece

There are frequent ferries Igoumenitsa - Corfu and v.v.

http://www.ionionlines.eu/timetable/4546460631

Maybe, one day, the standard-gauge line to Patras will be completed and a daily ferry service will be reinstated.
 
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
266
Thanks all, esp Felix.

I had checked those websites among others, but they didn't throw up any routes. I suspected that there had been a major change in the routeings of ferries in recent years because of bridge and road improvements.

I was considering a Patra-Corfu ferry but it may now be overland, then Igoumenitsa-Corfu.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
A couple of years ago when I was trying (remotely) to route family from Corfu back to Scotland* during a Greek ATC strike I found that Corfu mainly now has limited direct ferries with, as Sir Felix Pole says, Igoumenitsa being the main hub for the long distance ferries in the north Ionian. Calling at both is slow, speed is important and most of the trucks, which are, on most long distance ferries, the main traffic, want the mainland motorways. If/when Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia & Herzegovina join the EU and the EU inevitably funds a continuous Motorway down the eastern side of the Adriatic that'll change the economics considerably for the ferries- I'd expect to see the ones serving Brindisi and Bari survive but the Ancona and especially Venice services will suffer. A good decade or two away that though.

*Corfu-Igoumenitsa ferry
Igoumenitsa-Ancona ferry
Ancona-Bolonga train
Bolonga-Mestre train
Mestre hotel
Venice-Edinburgh flight
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top