• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Weekend Tickets Withdrawal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I often take advantage of the very reasonably priced weekend super off peak travelcards on Greater Anglia to travel into London from Cambridge at the weekend. These tickets are great value and a good incentive to avoid the often overcrowded Great Northern trains at the weekend. However, on trying to buy the ticket today it didn't come up on the ticket machine or on any journey planners, and a quick check on BR Fares suggests it's no longer on sale as of today "until further notice". Is this a permanent withdrawal or just temporary? If the former it feels like a disappointing decision and given the Any Permitted is about the same price as the Anglia off peak at the weekend it removes any incentive to take the slower route. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come under GBR...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Perosu1

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2016
Messages
31
Interesting - their loss would be a real shame. They are however still being sold on the LNER app for today.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251122-130209.png
    Screenshot_20251122-130209.png
    111 KB · Views: 39

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
I bought one on Thursday for today from the ticket machines at Ely, and indeed I've just checked while passing through and they are still available to buy this evening from the TVMs.

Maybe they didn't want people buying the cheaper ones at CBG given the KGX route is closed this weekend? I'm not sure why they'd do it like that, but hopefully it is that and isn't a long-term thing, as these tickets are good-value *and* make sense to offer.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,413
They haven’t been withdrawn or changed and the original post is in error, or was advised badly at a station.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
They haven’t been withdrawn or changed and the original post is in error, or was advised badly at a station.
Glad to know, but certain apps do not seem to be offering it and I wasn't able to purchase on the machine this morning. The TPE app, which I have used many times to buy this ticket in the past (thanks to the cashback in certain places) is only offering the off peak day travelcard for Greater Anglia (not the super off peak). And the link above to BR Fares does indicate a restriction on the ticket starting today (see image). Perhaps it is connected to the engineering works on the Kings Cross route this weekend, as suggested by others.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251122_212917_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20251122_212917_com.android.chrome.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 20

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,413
Glad to know, but certain apps do not seem to be offering it and I wasn't able to purchase on the machine this morning. The TPE app, which I have used many times to buy this ticket in the past (thanks to the cashback in certain places) is only offering the off peak day travelcard for Greater Anglia (not the super off peak). And the link above to BR Fares does indicate a restriction on the ticket starting today (see image). Perhaps it is connected to the engineering works on the Kings Cross route this weekend, as suggested by others.
The restriction applies to Mondays to Fridays only. It has been in force for many years. BR Fares always shows restrictions as if they started today, even though that is not the case. Look tomorrow, and the restriction will have apparently begun then. It didn't.

The TPE issue is caused by something else. I'll pass it on to someone in the know.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
The restriction applies to Mondays to Fridays only. It has been in force for many years. BR Fares always shows restrictions as if they started today, even though that is not the case. Look tomorrow, and the restriction will have apparently begun then. It didn't.

The TPE issue is caused by something else. I'll pass it on to someone in the know.
Thanks - of course I'm totally aware that these tickets are not valid Monday-Friday (as mentioned, I have bought them many times before ;)). And glad to hear that I wasn't imagining the error with the TPE app, and I appreciate you passing that on for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top