• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Travel Irregularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTanjiro

New Member
Joined
27 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
Essex
Dear All,

First and foremost, I want to express my thanks for the work you do, and I truly appreciate any advice you can provide during this difficult time.

I find myself in a situation similar to that of others, and while I prefer not to share specific details for privacy reasons, I hope you can still offer some guidance.

In October, I was traveling from Station A, where the barriers were open. However, upon arriving at Station X, I encountered closed barriers. In an attempt to get past them, I purchased a short ticket, but I was subsequently spotted by an inspector in plain clothes.

Looking back, I fully acknowledge that my actions were not only selfish and misguided but also immature and irresponsible. I made a poor decision in thinking that the potential fine would be worth the risk, given my current financial situation. It was a thoughtless choice, and I deeply regret it.

After being caught, I went through a period of anxiety, overthinking every moment of that day, knowing I had made a mistake (in purchasing the short ticket - not getting caught). It was a humbling experience, and I understand the severity of my actions.

I have recently received a letter regarding travel irregularities and have been asked to respond within 7 days. I am genuinely remorseful for what happened, and I have since ensured that I purchase the correct tickets in full for all my journeys. With this in mind, I would be grateful for any advice on how to structure my response in a way that may potentially help secure an out-of-court settlement (though I understand this is not guaranteed).

Please note that I have blacked out all sensitive information in the attached letter for privacy reasons.

Once again, thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-11-27 at 12.35.29.png
    Screenshot 2024-11-27 at 12.35.29.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
Welcome to the forum

First, you have already covered some of the ground but have a look at posts by long-standing member @Hadders for some suggested points to rewrite in your own words. Try not to repeat yourself or use several words where one would do :)
Feel free to post your draft for our (possibly pedantic) comments.

Second, be aware that GA will have checked your travel history, so don't say it was the only time you had short-fared (or otherwise cheated) if it wasn't.

Third, don't panic - if you ask GA nicely (don't make it sound like you are offering them the option!) to consider settling out of court they almost certainly will.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,338
Third, don't panic - if you ask GA nicely (don't make it sound like you are offering them the option!) to consider settling out of court they almost certainly will.
Indeed - this is the good news, because the letter from Greater Anglia is basically saying they will do that if you reply and engage with them - so the OP needs to meet that deadline, and have a go at drafting a reply based on the advice mentioned - and post the draft here if they - @NTanjiro - want people to check it before they send it off.

I would re-iterate the good advice to be 100% honest in what is written to them.
 

NTanjiro

New Member
Joined
27 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
Essex
Hello,

I’ve drafted a response regarding the matter and would be grateful for any feedback or advice you could offer. My main goal is to convey just how truly apologetic and regretful I am, while ensuring that my message is thoughtful and measured.

I want to resolve this issue responsibly by paying any dues required and moving forward, putting this incident behind me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in response to the letter dated day month 2024 regarding an incident at X Station, during which I was stopped by a ticket inspector for traveling with an invalid ticket. The reference number associated with this matter is [xxx].

First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologise for my actions. Words cannot fully express my regret and the sense of responsibility I feel. I recognise the seriousness of what I have done and understand the broader impact it can have—not only on Greater Anglia as a company but also on other customers who rely on your services.

This experience has been a profound lesson for me, and it has prompted significant reflection on my actions. Since the incident, I have implemented steps to ensure that it will never happen again. I now make it a priority to purchase my tickets well in advance and in the full and correct format.

I deeply value the opportunity to address this matter and respectfully request that it be resolved out of court. I am willing to cover any necessary costs, including administrative fees, to rectify this situation.

Once again, I offer my apologies for my actions and thank you for your time and consideration. I truly appreciate the opportunity to cooperate and make amends.

Kind regards,
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,338
Hello,

I’ve drafted a response regarding the matter and would be grateful for any feedback or advice you could offer. My main goal is to convey just how truly apologetic and regretful I am, while ensuring that my message is thoughtful and measured.

I want to resolve this issue responsibly by paying any dues required and moving forward, putting this incident behind me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in response to the letter dated day month 2024 regarding an incident at X Station, during which I was stopped by a ticket inspector for traveling with an invalid ticket. The reference number associated with this matter is [xxx].

First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologise for my actions. Words cannot fully express my regret and the sense of responsibility I feel. I recognise the seriousness of what I have done and understand the broader impact it can have—not only on Greater Anglia as a company but also on other customers who rely on your services.

This experience has been a profound lesson for me, and it has prompted significant reflection on my actions. Since the incident, I have implemented steps to ensure that it will never happen again. I now make it a priority to purchase my tickets well in advance and in the full and correct format.

I deeply value the opportunity to address this matter and respectfully request that it be resolved out of court. I am willing to cover any necessary costs, including administrative fees, to rectify this situation.

Once again, I offer my apologies for my actions and thank you for your time and consideration. I truly appreciate the opportunity to cooperate and make amends.

Kind regards,
Seems ok to me.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Agreed. The letter looks fine to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top