• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Liveries Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SansPareil

Member
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
124
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
In the adjacent platform at Norwich was one of the fully AGA liveried sets which was being advertised on the screens as eight coaches. I didn't get a chance to check what it was missing.

47513

Nothing. As of about a month and a half ago DVTs are no longer included in the public carriage count. Thus what used to be shown as 9 carriages are now 8 and 10 as 9.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
156412 has been modified at Wolverton, returning this afternoon.

How many completely repainted Mk3 rakes are there? I was under the impression there was only one, but seeing and hearing from various sources there may be more.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I have to say, it might not last long given the general standards of exterior cleanliness on this franchise, but the 90-hauled sets look quite smart in that livery, it masks their age quite well.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I know there's talk of EMUs, mark IVs etc to replace these sets, but really, all that's needed is a comprehensive refit (Chiltern power doors, some sort of seating replacement) and a depot expansion (looks on google earth as if there's industrial wasteland next to Crown Point?) to allow all sets to be run as nine-carriage. Perhaps some sort of DVT modification or replacement to allow another half a carriage of seating (would still be useful to have some sort of luggage van area!)?
 

colchesterken

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
768
I agree with Jopsuk..I do not see why anything to do with the railway is so expencive
The one thing which would make the mk3 s look great is new lights what is there is dismal different shades and colours of tubes some pinkish some daylight some blueish..I guess CET are needed these days the central door locking works OK, They could do a cheap and cheerfull upgrade till the franchies is sorted long term
 

chubs

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2012
Messages
694
I completely disagree

They could do a cheap and cheerfull upgrade

They tried that last time, the trains now look shabby and knackered (although not as bad as they did when they arrived from Virgin).

Time for some new modern stock, not ancient inefficient hulks
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
I completely disagree

They tried that last time, the trains now look shabby and knackered (although not as bad as they did when they arrived from Virgin).

Time for some new modern stock, not ancient inefficient hulks

Your selective quoting of ''cheap and cheerful upgrade'' caused you to omit the crucial phrase ''till the franchise is sorted long term''. Are you honestly suggesting a franchisee with only two years ahead should go through the process of investing in training of staff etc. for only two year's benefit? A ''cheap and cheerful'' upgrade is all that is needed until then, after which a more radical upgrade or new trains should be implemented.
 

chubs

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2012
Messages
694
Your selective quoting of ''cheap and cheerful upgrade'' caused you to omit the crucial phrase ''till the franchise is sorted long term''. Are you honestly suggesting a franchisee with only two years ahead should go through the process of investing in training of staff etc. for only two year's benefit? A ''cheap and cheerful'' upgrade is all that is needed until then, after which a more radical upgrade or new trains should be implemented.

Nope, another 2 year short franchise whilst DfT continue to dither about should never have happened, and I don't expect Abelio to order new stock in such a situation.

I also know a huge percent of this forum would love it if the MkIII's stayed forever though, and I would hate to see that as they are rubbish.
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Nope, another 2 year short franchise whilst DfT continue to dither about should never have happened, and I don't expect Abelio to order new stock in such a situation.

I also know a huge percent of this forum would love it if the MkIII's stayed forever though, and I would hate to see that as they are rubbish.

Exactly how are they rubbish? Not enough sliding doors? No three-by-two seating? :p The fact they're better than multiple units? :D

But seriously, all they need is some TLC and they'll be good to run for another 15 years.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
No, I still think 402 and 412 need to go back for modifications. They were the first ones to go and have some work to do that wasn't done to them originally.

412 has already been for modifications, I saw it heading through Leicester last Monday from Wolverton. I don't think 402 has been though.
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Nope, another 2 year short franchise whilst DfT continue to dither about should never have happened, and I don't expect Abelio to order new stock in such a situation.

I also know a huge percent of this forum would love it if the MkIII's stayed forever though, and I would hate to see that as they are rubbish.

They're rubbish in their current condition yes, as they were inherited in a poor state from VT and given a light refresh (and were due more than that). They are overdue a proper refurb, but are only having a light refresh again.
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
I also know a huge percent of this forum would love it if the MkIII's stayed forever though, and I would hate to see that as they are rubbish.
Rubbish? I recently travelled standard class on one and was reminded of the days when travelling by standard was a perfectly comfortable and pleasant experience. Something fast disappearing from the railways..! Even first is decidedly dodgy in the comfort stakes on some new trains.
 

170399

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2007
Messages
82
Location
Norwich
Rubbish? I recently travelled standard class on one and was reminded of the days when travelling by standard was a perfectly comfortable and pleasant experience. Something fast disappearing from the railways..! Even first is decidedly dodgy in the comfort stakes on some new trains.

I will second that as i travel on Abellio Greater Anglia's Mk3s quite regularly whether it be a run up the GEML to Ipswich or down to Great Yarmouth on one of their summer drags and they are brilliant as the seats are really comfy, there's plenty of legroom and the table is a table rather than some silly little ledge that hardly anything fits on, i hope that they have an even longer life.
 

chubs

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2012
Messages
694
Rubbish? I recently travelled standard class on one and was reminded of the days when travelling by standard was a perfectly comfortable and pleasant experience. Something fast disappearing from the railways..! Even first is decidedly dodgy in the comfort stakes on some new trains.

I travel regularly on them too and they are awful, drafty, uncomfortable seats, dodgy internal doors, outdated toilets and generally falling to pieces.

They are not fit for purpose, and a chiltern refurb would be a waste of money.

I used to travel on Southern & SouthEastern a lot (up to 1h40m journeys) and when the 375/7's were new they were superior in every way.
 

oliMw

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2012
Messages
196
I also travel on the GA mk3s fairly often and again believe that the coaches are becoming increasingly shabby and their quality is deteriorating. Now I am not saying this is a mk3 problem as travelling on East Coast Mk3 coaches are very nice! What the coaches ideally needed 5-10 Years ago was a decent refurb to see them to the end of their working lives. Now however I am unsure whether it would be common sense to refurbish the mk3s to chiltern standard or invest in we stock which can be used for 20 years< On the GEML
 

david_VI

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2008
Messages
362
As a GA employee who only drives EMUs/DMUs If travelling on the network I avoid what I drive at all costs and always take a hauled set (if possible). The seats are comfier compared to the 360's thin cushioning, you dont feel as clastrophobic (often find that with enclosed MU's), you get more legroom and many opportunites for a table.

Ok they are prone to being slow and failing as sets but I think they are better than the MU's out there for comfort.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
I'm pretty sure it was 82107. I passed it near Attleborough and although I only caught a fleeting glimpse it looked like NXEA livery.
 

hjsuffolk14

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
7
Now that the DRS mk2's are in service, does anyone know if:

* The Original Short set has now been disbanded?

* When DBSO 9707 is expected to join the short set?
- and if it does, will it replace 17159 (BFK)

Cheers!

:D
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Now that the DRS mk2's are in service, does anyone know if:

* The Original Short set has now been disbanded?

* When DBSO 9707 is expected to join the short set?
- and if it does, will it replace 17159 (BFK)

Cheers!

:D

The Mk3 short set is gone, the DVT (82107) has already been sent off for refurb.

The DBSO is due in September (maybe) and the BFK was replaced before the Mk2s entered service.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,879
Location
East Anglia
Set still stuck with a hotbox in Essex from yesterday & another term Ipswich today with power issues resulting in 17.50 down being caped. Along with the recent pantograph fiasco, its not been a good few weeks for Anglia Intercity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top