• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Good and Bad Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
I can't comment on Wayne's first remark though I think his intentions should be obvious. The second one should also be fairly self-explanatory I'd have thought?

It's such a random thing to say out of the blue though, and what's Palestine got to do with anything?!

I assumed he was saying it as he thinks I'm a fellow spotter?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, but I heard on the radio last night that AGA had more negative tweets in 2014 than any other commuter train operator.

I was stunned to hear that... ;)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Wow, shock. Bet I know where 95% of them came from. Or should I say who.
 
Joined
28 Mar 2015
Messages
61
Interesting to see usual support of an incompetent and hopeless operator in Abellio.

You guys should get out more.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Out where? I was on an AGA train about 45 minutes ago. Will be again around 5pm.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
ticket queues and congestion at the barriers continue to be a problem at Cambridge (run by AGA even if majority of passengers are GN) - but until the new buildings are finished and the space freed up there's little more can be done

The development of Cambridge has really been slowed down by English Heritage opposing planning on the listed status of the buildings.

Interesting to see usual support of an incompetent and hopeless operator in Abellio.

You guys should get out more.

Go on then, rather than the keyboard warrior style insults lets have some decent arguments and some solutions.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, but I heard on the radio last night that AGA had more negative tweets in 2014 than any other commuter train operator.

I was stunned to hear that... ;)

I wonder if we get any sort of award. A golden iPad :lol:
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Go on then, rather than the keyboard warrior style insults lets have some decent arguments and some solutions.

I've had Wayne just Tweet me more now, saying I'm an arse and talking about rulers (probably a spotter thing, which he knows more about than me).

He's now challenging me to debate with him on Twitter, presumably as he got himself barred here.

What's bizarre is that I never Tweeted anything to him, or about him, ever and he just waded in.

Presumably as he's barred, he will be sending his cronies over to create mischief in the coming days. It's quite amusing really.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
What's bizarre is that I never Tweeted anything to him, or about him, ever and he just waded in.

Isn't that basically the entire modus operandi of the DA "empire". Wade in where you are not wanted and make lots of pointless noise?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
I feel tempted to tweet myself, but I know I can't as my twitter account is a 'professional' one! (I'm a radio presenter on a local station). Still interesting to watch though, if slightly bizarre.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
I've just made a poor decision to go and have a look on their various accounts. Wayne has some horrifying pictures of something on Romford - Upminster. Two are the frankly appalling situation of a discarded Metro on a seat, one is of a lone empty drink bottle on the floor, one is of some seating fabric that is bunched up (!) and, as far as I can see, three of them are of empty seats with no litter or any obvious damage or fault...
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Interesting to see usual support of an incompetent and hopeless operator in Abellio.

You guys should get out more.

Well I was out at my university's summer ball last weekend with friends, despite being an unabashed AGA apologist. That I believe renders your statement rather moot. :P

Unfortunately, it's been a tough day after a points failure somewhere near Gidea Park, which has destroyed the service coming out of London this afternoon.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
...as far as I can see, three of them are of empty seats with no litter or any obvious damage or fault...
Well, if they didn't charge so much for the fares there'd be someone sitting in them! That's the problem! </sarcasm>
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
I feel tempted to tweet myself, but I know I can't as my twitter account is a 'professional' one! (I'm a radio presenter on a local station). Still interesting to watch though, if slightly bizarre.

Not BBC Essex I hope, as Ian seems to be a new regular guest now. :D

Soon, he'll get a job there and have a new regular show.

I've just made a poor decision to go and have a look on their various accounts. Wayne has some horrifying pictures of something on Romford - Upminster. Two are the frankly appalling situation of a discarded Metro on a seat, one is of a lone empty drink bottle on the floor, one is of some seating fabric that is bunched up (!) and, as far as I can see, three of them are of empty seats with no litter or any obvious damage or fault...

Presumably with Abellio being so bad, it's out of order that they can't even be incompetent enough to have litter on ALL services. I am sure that's what was being pointed out.

Isn't that basically the entire modus operandi of the DA "empire". Wade in where you are not wanted and make lots of pointless noise?

Let me re-Tweet that. ;)
 
Last edited:

scott118

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2015
Messages
928
Location
East Anglia
I've just made a poor decision to go and have a look on their various accounts. Wayne has some horrifying pictures of something on Romford - Upminster. Two are the frankly appalling situation of a discarded Metro on a seat, one is of a lone empty drink bottle on the floor, one is of some seating fabric that is bunched up (!) and, as far as I can see, three of them are of empty seats with no litter or any obvious damage or fault...

:shock: sacrilege !
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Interesting to see usual support of an incompetent and hopeless operator in Abellio.

You guys should get out more.

I'm truly embarrassed for you and the rest of those involved in this hilarious vendetta.

The latter part of your post takes irony to the stratosphere.
 
Joined
28 Mar 2015
Messages
61
Just come from meeting with Jamie Burles MD GA and Richard Schofield MD NR

Clear Richard knows his job and resolves issues.

Clear Jamie is a nice guy who does not manage well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Jamie said the deep cleaning of units will be improved plus Twitter feed will be open till 10pm from Jun 8.

Also clear some on here think kowtowing to GA is the way forward.

Dialogue like tonight is
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Also clear some on here think kowtowing to GA is the way forward.

Not at all, it's just the incessant put downs towards anyone who dares differ from your (and other's) opinion is becoming very tiresome, even to the point of childish. Never mind whether any of them need to 'get out more', others need to 'grow up'.

Would be interested in more snippets from the meeting though, provided they weren't top secret and can be conveyed in an adult manner.
 
Last edited:

nesw

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2013
Messages
279
Location
London
Both the extension of social media and the deep cleaning had already been agreed.

Also, expressing an opinion that someone "doesn't manage well" after they have taken time out of a busy schedule to meet you is not very nice to say the least.
 

george.h

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2015
Messages
23
As a newcomer to the forum I can appreciate the comments about "vendetta" (or similar) against AGA etc. Considering my initial post you would think I was another one...

But apart from my "gripes" about the ticket machines, of the three TOCs I've experienced in travelling from Chelmsford into London on a daily basis (over 15 years now) I would still say that, on balance, AGA are the best of the three (or least worst depending upon one's point of view).

First Group were reasonable (at the time). National Express seemed dire, especially with their (apparent) obsession with repainting rolling stock and rebranding as "ONE". If I remember at the time they swore blind that it did NOT stand for Operated by National Express. Hmmmm.... And the platform announcements of "The next train on platform ONE will be the 10:01 ONE service".... Really?!?!?!?..... And which OTHER TOCs serve this station? Oh that's right - nONE... Talk about stating the bleeding obvious...

The killer for me (apart from the lacklustre service, and the rumours they tried to relocate the new Desiro 360s to other parts of their network before being told to b****r **f by the ROSCO that owned them) were the comments about how the new "logo" looked remarkably like the LGBT "rainbow flag". This was from ONE staff and drivers! What an insult to members of the LGBT community - to be equated with National Express! How much did they pay for that redesign?

Anyway I digress. AGA do SEEM to have tried to do an awful lot, but they can do more. Like:

1. Better staffing at ticket offices.
2. Listening to me about ticket machines (goes without saying LOL)
3. Stop banging on as if Norwich is the ONLY destination along the line. It is NOT!

Other than that they do provide (it seems to me) the best yet.

Many of the issues with delays etc. are due (at least in part - and I put my tin hat on in readiness for replies from employees) to NotWork Rail (as I call them). There again, most of the problems (lack of information during major problems, bad/wrong platform announcements during "issues") can be firmly placed at the door of the politicians who invented this bizarre privatised rail system.

My one major overwhelming gripe though has to be - listen to your customers and stop trotting out b******t marketing/sales garbage. Remember - WE are PROFIT, you (senior management downwards) are OVERHEADS.....
 
Last edited:
Joined
28 Mar 2015
Messages
61
Norwich accounts for a small percentage of fares.


I have a 1st class annual season costing 7k plus. That represents after tax around 15k of my income.

I take your comments on board but the old and filthy cl321s revered by Mr Morris on this thread are a joke.

Couple that with the constant late arrivals we have a marriage made in hell.

Mr Edwards organised tonight's meeting I am sure a summary will be on @delayed_again

We need to work with Abellio to improve what Mr Burles tonight aplogised for.

I think as soon as people here recognise its a service we pay for and not a deity we worship the better.
 

george.h

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2015
Messages
23
Which bit?

Richard knows his job?

Jamie is "nice but dim"? (not my impression from the replies I've received from him via Simon Burns MP)

Or

Kowtowing to GA is the way forward?

George ;)
 
Joined
28 Mar 2015
Messages
61
Thanks 306024 assume you are referring to the second remark.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And thanks Darandio.

Perhaps if you paid so much for non service you too would learn irony.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
George

Let me tell you a fellow attendees evaluation.


95% of Jamies problems are his lack of management.

95%of Richards are Mother Nature

Jamie is not dim. He is coping with his situation to preserve his job.
 

george.h

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2015
Messages
23
Norwich accounts for a small percentage of fares.

I have a 1st class annual season costing 7k plus. That represents after tax around 15k of my income.

I take your comments on board but the old and filthy cl321s revered by Mr Morris on this thread are a joke.

Couple that with the constant late arrivals we have a marriage made in hell.

Mr Edwards organised tonight's meeting I am sure a summary will be on @delayed_again

We need to work with Abellio to improve what Mr Burles tonight aplogised for.

I think as soon as people here recognise its a service we pay for and not a deity we worship the better.

Interesting....

In which case:

Why does the AGA website seem to imply there is Norwich and "some bits in between"? Also why the HUGE web site promotion of advance fares NOT available to most AGA customers UNLESS they catch one of the Norwich intercity trains? (Nice place BTW - had a weekend there and was very pleasant)

Can you press home to Jamie Burles to overrule the "Retail Department" and have the ticket machines sell a much wider range of tickets for travel the next day? Especially "Off Peak Day Returns to Zones 2/3" :roll: No self interest here of course LOL! If customers can operate smart phones they can usually buy the right ticket from a machine. If not that is probably because the machine's user interface is a crock...
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
the old and filthy cl321s revered by Mr Morris on this thread are a joke.

To clear things up, I've said the 321s are solid trains that have plenty of life left in them, but I've never said they don't need a refurbishment or major refresh.

Some of them are in a mess, but at the same time, I don't think mismatching seat covers are the end of the world - especially if the alternative is removing the seat base/back?

Ditto the 317s.

They have seen better days, but they are GOOD trains and will suffice until the new franchise where I expect users will get a whole new fleet of trains.

There are more important things to worry about, like reliability, timetabling, ticketing etc - and all the fuss over dust behind the seats or the wrong covers just diverts time away from getting those things fixed.

I have no idea why some people think we're all Abellio fanboys on here. It's just that people are sticking to the big issues, not the trivial ones.
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Thanks 306024 assume you are referring to the second remark.

Nope, you've three more guesses ;) Joking aside, a serious point is how to protect those at the busy end of the GEML from the Norwich in 90 mania. Achieving Norwich in 90 and not worsening journey times for the likes of Kelvedon and Marks Tey / Sudbury line users is an interesting issue to resolve.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top