• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Good and Bad Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP33

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2011
Messages
635
When National Express ran the franchise I was handed a questionnaire to complete about my journey late Saturday afternoon.

I wrote in the box provided for further comments. Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Leyton Orient are playing at home and there is a four carriage train. Great forward planning.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
You think the last couple of days were bad, it's a drop in the ocean compared to today. Not a single train running at all on the Greater Anglia network! Abellio should be stripped of their franchise immediately for this shambles! They're worse than ebola, ISIS and climate change! Bring back National Express forthwith.

:lol:;)
 

oo la la

New Member
Joined
21 Dec 2014
Messages
3

stu227

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
49
Location
Brentwood, Essex
There's no assurance anywhere to suggest that AGA will go.

Should Abellio bid for the next franchise, there is nothing apart from the competition from other bidders that would stop them from winning the new franchise if they produced a good bid.

Hi - My point was: those focusing on getting rid of Abellio need to ensure *if* they go, whatever franchise *terms* replace them are better drafted. There is a focus on simply ditching Abellio at present, which detracts from the main problem.

I note that you and SPADTrap focus only on my final sentence. However, would you concede the problem lies primarily in the procurement process and the franchise terms / treasury, rather than the operator itself? For me, this point is demonstrated most clearly by Abellio being involved in the popular and reliable Merseyrail as well as the unpopular Greater Anglia.

Personally - it's my view that Abellio won't be allowed to win the contest, as it would be politically too dangerous to allow it - but: I am familiar with the OJEU process, etc, and appreciate that it all depends on the tender criteria.

In terms of having no influence - I'd suggest that DafT's consultation and the movement by MPs in the region suggests that's not necessarily the case. Coupled with the 'New Anglia' prospectus and other campaigns, hopefully there will be a chance that in 2016 things will be done properly - see for example: http://www.newanglia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Rail-prospectus-for-East-Anglia.pdf
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Quiet in here lately, compared to the rest of the country's railways there isn't much to complain about!
On time departure from Shenfield this afternoon though the floor is caked in mud - given the time of year that's not a huge surprise though. What was an unpleasant surprise was seeing 321438 in Shenfield sidings with a full carriage and a half head to toe in 'bad Santa' "artwork".
Wonder how long that'll take to get cleaned and if it'll be back in service like it in the new year. I rather thought people who lived near me were better than that. Obviously not.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
You think the last couple of days were bad, it's a drop in the ocean compared to today. Not a single train running at all on the Greater Anglia network! Abellio should be stripped of their franchise immediately for this shambles! They're worse than ebola, ISIS and climate change! Bring back National Express forthwith.

:lol:;)

The franchise does not specify a service on the day. Blaming the TOC again when the responsibility lies with DaFT.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Another on time departure this evening, this unit is similarly filthy and 321311 is at the rear again, still no sign of having been cleaned but I suppose it's probably been in service all day. Another body panel is caving in if I lean on it, but there's no gap like the last time I saw that. Havent seen/heard anything from the PIS yet.

Incidentally, nice and warm on both units, as have the other two I used this month.
 
Last edited:

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
You must have a somewhat sad, lonely existence to be on the internet mocking people on Christmas Day.

And you, my friend, need to appreciate my crap jokes and attempts at humour. :p One post on Christmas dDay obviously meant I spent the entire day on the internet

Besides, I used the Wherry Lines today, Lowestoft to Norwich and return. 156409 on both trips, very clean inside, conductors were friendly, the only blip was that we were 5 late into Norwich having had to wait outside Crown Point at 9:30, I assume for another service to clear our platform.
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I take it back, the PIS was working - I obviously just didn't notice last time... both screens seemed to be working and audio announcement played on arrival at Shenfield. Apart from the carriage floors caked in muck, full marks for the service today. Both services RT, uncrowded (as perhaps you'd expect at this time of year), comfortably warm and waited less than 5 minutes for a train in both directions.
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I did however notice a very grubby MK3 set in Norwich this morning, with the old One livery really looking terrible, in contrast to the repainted DVT (82103) on it.

Lets hope the refurbishment will give them a renewed lease of life. It starts next month, am I right in saying?
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I think so, and yes it's long overdue, but more for the insides than out. Grubby as they look, the twitter photos suggest that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
I think so, and yes it's long overdue, but more for the insides than out. Grubby as they look, the twitter photos suggest that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

and the heating failures suffered by many this morning on numerous trains.......check twitter.....it was a light with complaints!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
The only one I spotted with a definitive type of train specified was a 315 - that's the only time I can recall travelling on a midwinter train and the heating being off, but that was way back in the First Great Eastern days. Damn, it was cold - steamy breath from all the passengers... Perhaps the 315s are slightly more prone to heating failure than 321s - as said, I've not travelled often this month but all the 321s I've had have been plenty warm enough.

360 this afternoon - floor similarly dirty to the 321s and the usual threadbare seats but certainly plenty warm enough once again and being an 8-car ample seating too. PIS working but they don't seem to go wrong anywhere near as often as the 321s. RT departure meant I had to sprint up the stairs too. I am looking for issues but apart from the grime, havent really encountered many in December it must be said...
 
Last edited:

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
and the heating failures suffered by many this morning on numerous trains.......check twitter.....it was a light with complaints!

very interesting there is no comment on the mass heating failure this morning (on numerous routes and trains)........thats before we even start to talk about the incompetent "no demand" to try and justify this pathetic Saturday service that has caused carnage again!

Just guessing the thousands who suffered today are wrong again!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
very interesting there is no comment on the mass heating failure this morning (on numerous routes and trains)........thats before we even start to talk about the incompetent "no demand" to try and justify this pathetic Saturday service that has caused carnage again!

Just guessing the thousands who suffered today are wrong again!

all very quick to defend abellio but soooooo slow in this situation.......

mmmmmmmm
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
very interesting there is no comment on the mass heating failure this morning (on numerous routes and trains)........thats before we even start to talk about the incompetent "no demand" to try and justify this pathetic Saturday service that has caused carnage again!

Just guessing the thousands who suffered today are wrong again!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


all very quick to defend abellio but soooooo slow in this situation.......

mmmmmmmm

Look, we get it, you don't like Abellio. Move on already.

And yes, your statement about the masses being wrong is correct. This is why democracy doesn't work. :lol:
 
Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
very interesting there is no comment on the mass heating failure this morning (on numerous routes and trains)........thats before we even start to talk about the incompetent "no demand" to try and justify this pathetic Saturday service that has caused carnage again!

Just guessing the thousands who suffered today are wrong again!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


all very quick to defend abellio but soooooo slow in this situation.......

mmmmmmmm

Because they are being singled out for a Saturday service when all others operated the same, and 4 car trains which again was done by a few others :| Saturday service I'm not surprised by as passenger numbers are lower. A Saturday timetable would see peak extra services not operate, but I will agree it wasn't a good idea reducing train lengths of the normal services at the same time as you need to cover for those whose normal services don't operate :idea:.
On 23 December I used one such service (by a different operator) and there was no shortage of seats at all throughout the train, and a much smaller queue out of the one and only station it called at, when usually all the seats are taken and a few are standing and it can take a few minutes to leave.
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
Look, we get it, you don't like Abellio. Move on already.

And yes, your statement about the masses being wrong is correct. This is why democracy doesn't work. :lol:

so cold this morning people were opening the windows again to get warmer air in!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I know that's a joke but it doesn't really further your cause :p
I would like to point out that apart from having working heating on every AGA train I've used this month (the only cold train I've had was the East Coast 91 - even then only when people kept keeping the vestibule door open) the Saturday service has included two separate 8-car trains I've used as well as the 4s. Not one was even slightly crowded, I often had a full set of 6 seats to myself. I'm sure they don't get it right every time and some services genuinely are overcrowded but the situation really isn't quite as bleak as some make out. That's not sticking up for the TOC, that's just the truth.

Incidentally the condition of the northern rail 150 I used last night was disgusting but it was still far from busy, was warm and arrived vaguely on time (3 minutes late) - wow though. It took me by surprise how bad those things are inside compared to First Great Western's. Doesn't look like they've had anything done to them since they were built...
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
Incidentally the condition of the northern rail 150 I used last night was disgusting but it was still far from busy, was warm and arrived vaguely on time (3 minutes late) - wow though. It took me by surprise how bad those things are inside compared to First Great Western's. Doesn't look like they've had anything done to them since they were built...

another abellio train then.....threadbare franchises where cleanliness is no where near godliness.....

seriously......5 trains this week (all 321s) all filthy inside and only 1 with heating on (barely but something is better than nothing)

I for one will not be buying a lottery ticket Samuel but suggest you do LOL!

There has been a lot of complaints about this issue this week.....serious Qs - why have so many failed?
why are they not checked before being put into service?
why does it takes weeks to fix?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
Isn't the heating on most trains per carriage, so just swap carriage and problem solved?
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
Isn't the heating on most trains per carriage, so just swap carriage and problem solved?

alas no.....this was entire units of 4.....some reports on twitter were 8 car trains....

But why are these not checked before being put into service? Drivers used to walk the trains - although appreciate a lot of the stock is non gangwayed....

Not great when you are paying through the roof is it! Pretty basic sevrice provision in Winter dont you think?
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
Heaters should ideally work, but if they don't, would you rather the train cancelled?
 

ginger

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
276
Heaters should ideally work, but if they don't, would you rather the train cancelled?

If that comment is anything to go by with these extortionate fares we are paying, then lets all rejoice that a train actually works on its wheels.....

oh please....has everyone's standards slumped that low?

Or is this just all the the DFT target of £266m premium target that abellip will never hit?

Premium prices do not mean third world service?

Serious Q for those on here who work in this shambles of a franchise - why cant you even get these SIMPLE things right?
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
How about actually answering the question before you fall off that horse of yours.
 

oo la la

New Member
Joined
21 Dec 2014
Messages
3
alas no.....this was entire units of 4.....some reports on twitter were 8 car trains....

But why are these not checked before being put into service? Drivers used to walk the trains - although appreciate a lot of the stock is non gangwayed....

Not great when you are paying through the roof is it! Pretty basic sevrice provision in Winter dont you think?

Heaters as we all know work on thermostats..and 315 thermostats I've found are a bit temperamental. ..
most of the trains are stabled at out stations ie: either at a stabling yard or at some terminal stations...with a very few stabled at maintenance depots..and all these trains work on a unit diagrams which means they get into the depots at a specific predetermined time for inspections.
As for drivers walking through the carriages...say at liv street....is only for the reason that it is quicker to walk through the train than on the platform with a sea of passengers walking towards him...and with the bare amount of time to turn around at stations he won't report anything unless it has safety implications...
all trains put into service are safety checked..no heating or some missing lights wouldn't cancel a train..
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
First trip of 2015 - 321425. Was originally hoping to go to Southminster but didn't fancy two rail replacement buses after the trip down from York so I arranged pickup from Shenfield. Despite being a 4-car it was quiet (presumably due to Southend passengers avoiding the railway altogether), pleasantly warm, reasonably tidy compared to the units I used at the start of the week and broadly speaking on time - I think it might have been a minute or so late. Nothing major to report so far - rail replacement buses at weekends isn't exactly anything unusual and since I didn't use them I can't comment on quality of organisation / sufficient coverage etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top