• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

greater Anglia fraud investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,351
I would like to say I'm sorry for these irregularities on my account, over this process i have realized the wrong in my actions and have learned from them, it wont happen again. I would be very thankful if we could settle this outside of court id be happy to pay the due fares and Anny administration fees
something like this ok ? if there's anyway i can word this better please let me know @WesternLancer @z444z
I think although they have stopped you with an incorrect ticket the e-mail you received are very probably related to their digital trawl of what they think is suspicious.

I there for think the wording of anything you send them needs to be careful not to incriminate yourself.

I’ll suggest some wording a bit later on that you can consider using if you wish.

I suspect the next thing they may ask for is evidence you had a 16-17 railcard. Which presumably you can’t prove?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
I think although they have stopped you with an incorrect ticket the e-mail you received are very probably related to their digital trawl of what they think is suspicious.

I there for think the wording of anything you send them needs to be careful not to incriminate yourself.

I’ll suggest some wording a bit later on that you can consider using if you wish.

I suspect the next thing they may ask for is evidence you had a 16-17 railcard. Which presumably you can’t prove?
Yh i have no proof of that
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,351
Double post in error.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yh i have no proof of that
Ok. Best not mentioned then

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Perhaps you could reply with something like this - assuming it is all true as it is important to not tell them anything that might be a lie.

Dear.....

Thank you for your e-mail of xxxxx

I am sorry that you consider that I have travelled without the correct rail ticket for travel on the dates you have listed.

I would like to consider paying for any travel that you believe I owe anything for, rather than the matter involve court action.

Please could you advise me of the sum of money necessary to resolve this in the way you suggest, and how payment can be made.

I would be grateful if you could clarify that payment of such a sum would resolve this.

Yours sincerely

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would welcome any thoughts (as well as amends) from other forum members as to whether sending a reply worded like this would be the best course of action considering the circumstances of the OPs situation - ie being caught for an actual ticket irregularity but also being asked about irregularities detected via data searches but probably not caught red handed actually doing.

If all they really want from these sorts of exercises to data check travel is to stop people from skipping fares in future, and to pay them money that the railway think they are owed, then perhaps this is all that needs to be said?
 
Last edited:

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
Double post in error.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Ok. Best not mentioned then

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Perhaps you could reply with something like this - assuming it is all true as it is important to not tell them anything that might be a lie.

Dear.....

Thank you for your e-mail of xxxxx

I am sorry that you consider that I have travelled without the correct rail ticket for travel on the dates you have listed.

I would like to consider paying for any travel that you believe I owe anything for, rather than the matter involve court action.

Please could you advise me of the sum of money necessary to resolve this in the way you suggest, and how payment can be made.

I would be grateful if you could clarify that payment of such a sum would resolve this.

Yours sincerely

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would welcome any thoughts (as well as amends) from other forum members as to whether sending a reply worded like this would be the best course of action considering the circumstances of the OPs situation - ie being caught for an actual ticket irregularity but also being asked about irregularities detected via data searches but probably not caught red handed actually doing.

If all they really want from these sorts of exercises to data check travel is to stop people from skipping fares in future, and to pay them money that the railway think they are owed, then perhaps this is all that needs to be said?
Does annyone else have anny thoughts ?
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I’d suggest something even shorter. They jump at the chance to make some money from these fishing emails anyway (though I agree it’s the right thing to do in this case).
Dear.....

Thank you for your email.

Please could you advise the amount you believe I owe to settle this case?

Yours sincerely
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,351
I’d suggest something even shorter. They jump at the chance to make some money from these fishing emails anyway (though I agree it’s the right thing to do in this case).
Probably nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps separately Any implications from this response for the case where op actually stopped? I’m wondering if that case is still waiting to be processed.
 

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
Double post in error.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Ok. Best not mentioned then

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Perhaps you could reply with something like this - assuming it is all true as it is important to not tell them anything that might be a lie.

Dear.....

Thank you for your e-mail of xxxxx

I am sorry that you consider that I have travelled without the correct rail ticket for travel on the dates you have listed.

I would like to consider paying for any travel that you believe I owe anything for, rather than the matter involve court action.

Please could you advise me of the sum of money necessary to resolve this in the way you suggest, and how payment can be made.

I would be grateful if you could clarify that payment of such a sum would resolve this.

Yours sincerely

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would welcome any thoughts (as well as amends) from other forum members as to whether sending a reply worded like this would be the best course of action considering the circumstances of the OPs situation - ie being caught for an actual ticket irregularity but also being asked about irregularities detected via data searches but probably not caught red handed actually doing.

If all they really want from these sorts of exercises to data check travel is to stop people from skipping fares in future, and to pay them money that the railway think they are owed, then perhaps this is all that needs to be said?
Think im going to go with this as dont want to leave it much longer
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Either will be fine, though I’d suggest my shorter version to be honest as it gives less away. If they need more from you, they’ll just tell you. Nothing to gain by giving more away imo.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,351
Either will be fine, though I’d suggest my shorter version to be honest as it gives less away. If they need more from you, they’ll just tell you. Nothing to gain by giving more away imo.
I do agree with this and thus the benefits of your shorter draft than mine.
 

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
Either will be fine, though I’d suggest my shorter version to be honest as it gives less away. If they need more from you, they’ll just tell you. Nothing to gain by giving more away imo.
Went with this i agree better to give them as little as possible
 
Last edited:

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Got a settlement offer through this morning at 1.6k so pretty spenny but i can afford it
Thanks for the update. It may be worth asking for a breakdown of the settlement offer, if they haven’t already provided one, so you can check and make sure they aren’t charging you for anything they shouldn’t.

Additionally as there is no threat of prosecution (yet), you could challenge their admin charge if it seems high.
 

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
Thanks for the update. It may be worth asking for a breakdown of the settlement offer, if they haven’t already provided one, so you can check and make sure they aren’t charging you for anything they shouldn’t.

Additionally as there is no threat of prosecution (yet), you could challenge their admin charge if it seems high.
Its a £100 admin charge but its weird in the breakdown all the trips are too and from stratford but i get off at chelmsford ‍♂️
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,834
all the trips are too and from stratford but i get off at chelmsford
Really? This is what you said when you started this thread:
I have also part traveled a few times ie i have bought a ticket from Chelmsford to ingatestone and got off at Stratford.
It is reasonable to query what they are asking for but you need to be clear on what you did and didn't do.
 

Leow21234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2026
Messages
15
Location
Witham
Really? This is what you said when you started this thread:

It is reasonable to query what they are asking for but you need to be clear on what you did and didn't do.
I did this a few times but did the other witham to chelmsford one 30+ times and it says 30+ times to stratford, maybe they fine the maximum possible journey idk
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,834
I did this a few times but did the other witham to chelmsford one 30+ times and it says 30+ times to stratford, maybe they fine the maximum possible journey idk
Why should they assume that you only made short journeys? As I said, you can query this but they aren't going to accept that they are wrong in every case when that clearly isn't true.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I did this a few times but did the other witham to chelmsford one 30+ times and it says 30+ times to stratford, maybe they fine the maximum possible journey idk
It's up to you, but if any of the journeys the have identified are legitimate you should certainly query itl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top