dk1
Veteran Member
Years ago it was possible to travel off-peak in first class for a small fee - say £10. I think that should be reintroduced.
Similar upgrades on weekdays have been available on GA Intercity for several years.
Years ago it was possible to travel off-peak in first class for a small fee - say £10. I think that should be reintroduced.
Perhaps not ultra-luxury - but including provision of hot food and alcoholic drinks with the fare will tend to make it much more expensive than it ought to be on the merits of accommodation alone!
Years ago it was possible to travel off-peak in first class for a small fee - say £10. I think that should be reintroduced.
The FLIRTS in Norway are comfortable enough for a 90 minute to 2 hour journey and beyond. I travelled once in standard class and another time in the 'Comfort' section. For 100 NOK (approx £10) extra - regardless of journey length, you get slightly more comfy seats, guaranteed tables, free hot drinks and newspapers. Well worth the extra. Problem in this country is we only offer standard cattle class or ultra luxury first class with nothing in between. Most off-peak trains have empty first class, and the upgrade to first is not worth the extortionate price per person. It isn't just about seat pitch and cushion softness and depth! It seems the UK railways are missing a trick here.
Good when I was on themHow are the Norway Flirts when it comes to snowy weather?
I travelled in December - snow all around - and the service operated to time..no delays.How are the Norway Flirts when it comes to snowy weather?
What route will they haul to Diss? two locos or a load of running around? If by "Coldham lane" you mean the shed at Coldham's Lane in Cambridge then the only non-reversing route from there to Diss is via Stratford and the High Meads Loop! Still, exciting timesI am assuming the first 755 can't be far away from these shores now, 2nd November we have a trial run with a conventional unit overnight between Norwich and Diss in preparation for the tests on the first 755, this is so everyone involved understands the process.
755 will be stabled at Coldham Lane, and be Loco hauled to Diss each night, they aim to make 3 trips each night it runs.
Any footage?Slight return to topic but the first 745 has been doing 100mph tests over at Velim
What route will they haul to Diss? two locos or a load of running around? If by "Coldham lane" you mean the shed at Coldham's Lane in Cambridge then the only non-reversing route from there to Diss is via Stratford and the High Meads Loop! Still, exciting times
Expanding those acronyms: Coldham's Lane via Thetford to Norwich Crown Point depot and run-round; or via Bury St Edmunds to Stowmarket Down Goods Loop and run-round. Correct?Coldham via Thetford to C/P and RR or Coldham via Bury to Stowmarket DGL and RR
Expanding those acronyms: Coldham's Lane via Thetford to Norwich Crown Point depot and run-round; or via Bury St Edmunds to Stowmarket Down Goods Loop and run-round. Correct?

It’s important to say the SOB Flirts are very high-spec and ‘personnalised’, compared to most other Flirts (and trains in general for that matter). It’s unfair to compare those with the GA Flirts, which are actually at least as good as the ´usual’ german and Swiss trains as far as ambience, aesthetics, and amenities are concerned.
From the video and pics I have seen so far I think he talking rubbish I’m quite happy with dull colours rather than some in your face garish colours. In my homeland ie northern land we have to put up with god awful yellow handrails on a blue interior.Ian Walmsley in the latest Modern Railways's magazine was talking about the interior of the news trains compared to that of it's sister train which is being made for SOB in Switzerland, his argument very much seems to be that while the FLIRT's are good trains, they have been ordered at bargain basement spec and the interior colour scheme is dull and depressing compared to that of the SOB units. The seats also in SOB units are much better than those in the UK FLIRT's (though as we all know that is subjective!)
Comparing the two trains it is not hard to see his point.
Sam
From the video and pics I have seen so far I think he talking rubbish I’m quite happy with dull colours rather than some in your face garish colours. In my homeland ie northern land we have to put up with god awful yellow handrails on a blue interior.
I agree it looks good pity we are not getting these in northern land even with a crappy northern colour scheme.I quite like the AGA interior myself, it's quite classy.
I quite like the AGA interior myself, it's quite classy.
I agree it looks good pity we are not getting these in northern land even with a crappy northern colour scheme.
A bit of an unfortunate name, though.It’s important to say the SOB Flirts are very high-spec and ‘personnalised’, compared to most other Flirts (and trains in general for that matter). It’s unfair to compare those with the GA Flirts, which are actually at least as good as the ´usual’ german and Swiss trains as far as ambience, aesthetics, and amenities are concerned.
A bit of an unfortunate name, though.![]()
I didn't know there were any high floor units already. I assumed the British ones would be the first.And to be fair the SOB units are to Berne gauge and low floor, making the saloon much, much bigger.
The Polish high floor ones are probably more comparable to the UK ones - shame the UK didn't also go for Grammer seating.
You’re not familiar with the names of Stadler’s other product lines then? “Smile”, “Kiss”, and “Wink” in addition to “Flirt”!A bit of an unfortunate name, though.![]()
No, not even close yet.So has the first unit arrived?