• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Child Ticket - Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhwnsngs62

New Member
Joined
4 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I was a bit stupid and thought I was smart and could save a few pounds by using a child ticket for my journey from Tottenham Hale to Stansted Airport last week.

Upon arrival in Stansted I went through the gates and was promptly pulled aside and questioned by a fare officer. Ultimately he was very friendly and I gave him my details, answered his questions truthfully and signed his report. This includes admitting that I was aware the a child ticket was not valid for me. He said I would receive communications by post.

I've been a bit anxious since and trying to prepare for what's ahead. Looking through other forum posts it seems I will receive a letter (which can take up to 6 months), which I should answer with a concise response expressing my remorse and asking for an out of court settlement (similar to this response by another forum member https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/penalty-fare-greater-anglia.286519/post-7320602).

This is my first offense. Is this likely to end in an out of court settlement or should I prepare for worse given I purposefully bought a wrong ticket and admitted to such?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
1,542
When you say this is your first offence, do you mean this is the first time you have been caught using a child ticket, or the first time you have ever used such a ticket when aged 16+?

The difference is important, as GA may review your purchase history before they write to you.
 

gwhwnsngs62

New Member
Joined
4 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
When you say this is your first offence, do you mean this is the first time you have been caught using a child ticket, or the first time you have ever used such a ticket when aged 16+?

The difference is important, as GA may review your purchase history before they write to you.
This is the first time I have ever purchased a child ticket. Everytime I have used GA in the past I have bought a regular ticket.
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,234
An offer of an out of court settlement is more likely providing you were polite and compliant (which your account suggests you were). Please make sure you engage with the letter when it arrives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top