• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia alleging ticket used multiple times

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2005
Messages
286
I am slightly surprised to be posting in this section...

My boyfriend recently received a letter via email from Greater Anglia alleging that he appears to have used a ticket (the number is quoted) multiple times, which it says would be a breach of their terms and conditions. He is sure that he hasn't, but there is a potential explanation for why they might think this.

Given the passage of time since the ticket in question was used, we cannot be sure that this is the cause, but he and I remember an occasion where he had two open returns on his phone and mistakenly presented the wrong one to an inspector. When he was told it had already been used, he realised he'd opened the wrong one and presented the correct ticket. No further comment was made at the time. This seems to be the most likely prompt for the GA email - I assume the multiple scans have come up in a trawl of scan data, but without the context of another valid ticket bought by the same account being immediately scanned afterwards.

The wording of the letter strikes me (as someone who has to think very carefully about drafting professionally, though I am not in any way a legal professional) as being phrased in such a way as to sound threatening, while shying away from making any direct allegation or containing any actual threat of action.

It invites (but notably does not demand) a response within seven days. I assume the standard advice on this forum of not responding remains valid in this case.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,618
Location
LBK
No comment to any and all questions, don't reply.
 

TAS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2005
Messages
286
Just a note here for reference as I've noticed a tendency for cases to not be updated once the forum's initial advice is given.

We're now over two months on from my boyfriend receiving the original email. He received a chaser after a few weeks along identical (date excepted) lines to this one:
Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the replies, I have taken those on board for sure.

I got a reply, any advice on what next?

Thanks

Good Morning,
We have not received any contact from you; you were previously contacted on 16/01/2026.
At this stage we would like to offer you an opportunity to explain these irregularities on your account, and based on your response the decision will be to either offer you the opportunity to repay any funds relating to these journeys (plus our administration fee), (b) to forward your case to our prosecutions department for processing or (c) close your case (if sufficient evidence has been provided and proved).

If we do not hear from you within the next 5 working days, you will lose any opportunity to settle this case with us.


Kind regards

Revenue Protection Fraud and Investigations Team

Obviously no reply was sent and, to date, no further correspondence has been received to my knowledge. I will be sure to update the forum if this changes.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,342
Just a note here for reference as I've noticed a tendency for cases to not be updated once the forum's initial advice is given.

We're now over two months on from my boyfriend receiving the original email. He received a chaser after a few weeks along identical (date excepted) lines to this one:


Obviously no reply was sent and, to date, no further correspondence has been received to my knowledge. I will be sure to update the forum if this changes.
Thanks for keeping your thread updated - this is bound to be helpful to others

I'm sure these data trawls generate a lot of messages being sent out (we often see spikes of people coming to the forum for advice on similar messages received at similar times) - so people being able to see how other instances have played out must surely be helpful to the receipts of the next round of messages. Some of those people are almost certainly genuine fare evaders, but that's another matter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top