• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s introduction

St. Paddy

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2019
Messages
722
Location
Hitchin
Does anybody know for certain that the 379s ran ecs?? RTT shows that 1L48, 1L50 and 1L52 all ran last night so perhaps the 379s worked 1L48 as diagrammed. Otherwise why would the 379s have run ecs when there was already 3 sets at Letchworth overnight for this morning's trains?
I only guessed that when replying to the post about the 700 failure
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dranyam377

On Moderation
Joined
23 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Sussex
Hi all, just wondered if great northern were planning on keeping the 379's legendary first class or replacing them with ironing boards
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,437
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Hi all, just wondered if great northern were planning on keeping the 379's legendary first class or replacing them with ironing boards

I think the view is there isn’t the money to do anything at the moment.

However it’s a fair bet that something will happen in the future, especially as there’s essentially an over-provision of first on these trains. What that means in practice is probably going to be either first disappearing completely (as has happened on comparable operators), or I suspect they will eventually swap first to be where it is on the 387s - though to do this wouldn’t be straightforward due to the seats not matching up.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
The curtains have gone I believe but everything else is as it was and I don't believe there's any plan to change this.

When they get the 377/387 upgrades perhaps it might happen then, but I see it as unlikely because first class is still a thing on Great Northern and the 387 provision was/is terrible so at least now there's something worth the money.

Indeed it's the best first class on any GTR rolling stock IMO.
 

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,219
Location
All around the network
When they get the 377/387 upgrades perhaps it might happen then, but I see it as unlikely because first class is still a thing on Great Northern and the 387 provision was/is terrible so at least now there's something worth the money.

Indeed it's the best first class on any GTR rolling stock IMO.
I'd say it's some of the finest first class seating in the country, up there with the SWR 159s, the Avanti Pendolinos and the mk3/4 first class seating remaining.
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
The curtains have gone I believe but everything else is as it was and I don't believe there's any plan to change this.

When they get the 377/387 upgrades perhaps it might happen then, but I see it as unlikely because first class is still a thing on Great Northern and the 387 provision was/is terrible so at least now there's something worth the money.

Indeed it's the best first class on any GTR rolling stock IMO.
Yes the curtain are gone, they 1st class is at the London end (at least for now)

Is the disabled area in coach 2 (if you take coach 1 at the London end with the first class) - Not sure if they will try and keep the disabled area in the place.

So we have for trains heading to London.
379
Coach 1 (first & Standard), Coach 2 (accessible standard), Coach 3 (Standard), Coach 4(Standard)
387
Coach 1 (standard), Coach 2 (accessible standard), Coach 3 (standard), Coach 4 (First and Standard)

Hard to tell if they will do anything with the seating, the 321s were never touched, however GTR Have put ironing boards in some of the 377s. I would also be amazed if 1st isn’t reduced, but they never did on the 321s
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
Yes the curtain are gone, they 1st class is at the London end (at least for now)

Is the disabled area in coach 2 (if you take coach 1 at the London end with the first class) - Not sure if they will try and keep the disabled area in the place.

So we have for trains heading to London.
379
Coach 1 (first & Standard), Coach 2 (accessible standard), Coach 3 (Standard), Coach 4(Standard)
387
Coach 1 (standard), Coach 2 (accessible standard), Coach 3 (standard), Coach 4 (First and Standard)

Hard to tell if they will do anything with the seating, the 321s were never touched, however GTR Have put ironing boards in some of the 377s. I would also be amazed if 1st isn’t reduced, but they never did on the 321s

First class has to stay at that end for both units on account of the accessible sections needing to match that of the 387s. Plus with units being split and joined, if one was reversed to mimic the 700s it would soon end up all over the place. The only solution is to ensure every 379 is the same way around.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
what time r these services?
1R09 0745 Letchworth to London Kings Cross
1L48 1724 London Kings Cross to Letchworth

The only solution is to ensure every 379 is the same way around.
Great Northern have successfully run their trains the same way round for many years. I guess it will be important for them to be delivered that way, or turned before service.

however GTR Have put ironing boards in some of the 377s
No 377 has ever had its seat frames changed. One key point about the 379s is that any change in seats would need new seats to be fabricated. I can't imagine there are sufficient 379-type seats sitting around to reseat the units. However, it may be noted that they do represent a reduction in seating capacity relative to a 387.
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
First class has to stay at that end for both units on account of the accessible sections needing to match that of the 387s. Plus with units being split and joined, if one was reversed to mimic the 700s it would soon end up all over the place. The only solution is to ensure every 379 is the same way around.
That is good news, from someone that does a lot of travelling with someone in a wheelchair. We are beginning to know where to stand for each type of unit. I don’t know if i can spot the difference as a train approaches between a 379 and a 387.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

No 377 has ever had its seat frames changed. One key point about the 379s is that any change in seats would need new seats to be fabricated. I can't imagine there are sufficient 379-type seats sitting around to reseat the units. However, it may be noted that they do represent a reduction in seating capacity relative to a 387.
Did some of them have ironing boards as new? I am sure that I have seen some 377s with ironing boards. (although it could be a different class it was definitely southern colours)
 
Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
Did some of them have ironing boards as new? I am sure that I have seen some 377s with ironing boards. (although it could be a different class it was definitely southern colours)
Yes, from new.

Do people regard the standard class seats in 379s as 'ironing boards', or is the padding enough to make them acceptable?
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
Yes, from new.

Do people regard the standard class seats in 379s as 'ironing boards', or is the padding enough to make them acceptable?
They have better padding in my opinion. To be honest I have got used to the seats on the 387s, but the 379s are more comfortable. The 700 / 717s my only main issue is the closeness to the side rather then the seat.
 

southern442

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
2,266
Location
Surrey
Did some of them have ironing boards as new? I am sure that I have seen some 377s with ironing boards. (although it could be a different class it was definitely southern colours)
Every 377 in service has had exactly the same type of seats in the same places (more or less) as when they were delivered. Many have a mix of the older, smaller more padded seat design with armrests and tables, and the taller seats that are a bit like ironing boards but more padded (the 379s have a variant of these with better padding). 377/6s and /7s, as well as the 387s, have had the newer fainsa seats which are known as 'ironing boards' from when they were first built.
 

kacper

Member
Joined
27 May 2022
Messages
312
Location
London
The 2nd diagram is hoped to start w/c 23 February will be a Peterborough diagram with the passenger workings being -
1P85 0635 Peterborough - Kings X and 1P82 1642 Kings X - Peterborough
Any hope of this tomorrow?
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
The curtains have gone I believe but everything else is as it was and I don't believe there's any plan to change this.

When they get the 377/387 upgrades perhaps it might happen then, but I see it as unlikely because first class is still a thing on Great Northern and the 387 provision was/is terrible so at least now there's something worth the money.

Indeed it's the best first class on any GTR rolling stock IMO.
The first class seats are the same type that was fitted to Gat Ex 442s. It's a shame that seating wasn't rescued and maybe installed on a number of other units.
 
Joined
13 Jan 2024
Messages
498
Location
Cambridge
Great Northern have successfully run their trains the same way round for many years. I guess it will be important for them to be delivered that way, or turned before service.
Yes - I don't think there's any way to turn them around on the GN network.
They have to go to Stratford to turn around (and a few have recently)
 

wickham

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2021
Messages
710
Location
Knaphill
5Q45 1511 Hornsey to Brighton Lovers Walk has run today (Mon 24.01.25) presumably with displaced 387s, can anyone say which ones please.
 

RailwayRookie

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2023
Messages
288
Location
Norfolk
I would hazard a guess it's a stock swap, 023 and 029 are still there but there is a 5Q91 booked out at 1408 back to Hornsey
 

Top