• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s introduction

Spur365

Member
Joined
26 Nov 2016
Messages
18
Travelled on the 1724 this evening. Highly impressed. Good ride, good lighting, some ware on the seats but comfy. Best seats on the fleet. Smelt good, clearly done some good work. Fold down seats in vestibule. Even extra lights if needed above seats in standard.

Ref the delays to the 1L's last week. They are tightly timed so the speed restrictions last week at Barnet and WGC didn't help. Plus they follow the 9J's so if they are late by 2 minutes they follow.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crunchello

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
41
Location
Croydon
I’m sure it’s been said on here before but I’m struggling to find it - what are the diagrams they will be operating in the (near) future - I’d quite like to get a ride in over the next few weeks
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,190
It is indeed 2x379 on the service, currently aboard. The rear unit is 379022. Have not gone around the check which one is at the front.
Almost three years to the day since the last passenger working which was 1H87/1H00 KLN-LST-CBG on 11th February 2022. I can't recall the unit number
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
I’m sure it’s been said on here before but I’m struggling to find it - what are the diagrams they will be operating in the (near) future - I’d quite like to get a ride in over the next few weeks
Posts above suggest
5R09 07+07 Letchworth C.S.D to Letchworth
1R09 0745 Letchworth to London Kings Cross
5E16 08+42 London Kings Cross to Hornsey E.M.U.D.
3L48 16+41 Hornsey E.M.U.D. to London Kings Cross
1L48 1724 London Kings Cross to Letchworth
5L48 18+03 Letchworth to Letchworth C.S.D
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,414
Location
The Fens
Almost three years to the day since the last passenger working which was 1H87/1H00 KLN-LST-CBG on 11th February 2022. I can't recall the unit number
I surprised myself by being able to find this. I agree on the trains and date, the unit number was 379030.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
Posts above suggest
5R09 07+07 Letchworth C.S.D to Letchworth
1R09 0745 Letchworth to London Kings Cross
5E16 08+42 London Kings Cross to Hornsey E.M.U.D.
3L48 16+41 Hornsey E.M.U.D. to London Kings Cross
1L48 1724 London Kings Cross to Letchworth
5L48 18+03 Letchworth to Letchworth C.S.D

The complete picture from post 1339


The 2nd diagram is hoped to start w/c 23 February will be a Peterborough diagram with the passenger workings being -
1P85 0635 Peterborough - Kings X and 1P82 1642 Kings X - Peterborough
associated ECS workings 5P85#, 5E55, 3P82 and 5P82
 

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
For the record, the same pair are working tonight's 17.24 from Kings Cross.

...and made it to Letchworth on time, the first time that's happened in over a fortnight :) (and as a result, the 1739 to Kings Lynn was only 2 minutes late arriving at Ely, also the best it has performed in over a fortnight. I actually got home pretty much on time!)

Hopefully a sign of things to come...!
 

windjabbers

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
96
Location
Cambridge
So is this now the state of play with the 379

In service with GTR - 002 and 022

At Hornsey with GTR but not yet in service 019 and 025

At Kings Lynn with GTR for Staff Training 023 and 029

As for the others

I belive 001 and 010 are stored at Wembley?

So that leaves the rest: -

003-009/011-018/020/021/024/026-028/030

I've lost track which of these are at Worksop and possible some are or were at the Nene Sidings - Peterbo.

Comments and Corrections welcome.

BW DC
 

St. Paddy

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2019
Messages
722
Location
Hitchin
017 is at Hornsey with GN branding, I assume it is the spare for passenger service. 016 is also there unbranded. There are also 3 or 4 at Nene sidings but I have no numbers
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,741
Location
Croydon
Anyone think this is a 379? I don't know why it would go to Liverpool street but I can't think of anything else that would be sent from hornsey.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K28730/2025-02-11/detailed
+
Could have been a 379 being turned.

They want them all to be with 1st Class at the London End, so the accessible coach is in the same position as a 387.
I finally worked out how it got turned - maybe.
On its return along the identical route out there is "no report" at Stratford Central Junction and Stratford (SRA). I assume this missed those two corners of the triangle and went round the third side rather then reversing (again) at Stratford (SRA) - station ?.
If so then - is Stratford the nearest triangular junction to Hornsey ?.
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,169
Location
North London or Mildmay line
I finally worked out how it got turned - maybe.
On its return along the identical route out there is "no report" at Stratford Central Junction and Stratford (SRA). I assume this missed those two corners of the triangle and went round the third side rather then reversing (again) at Stratford (SRA) - station ?.
If so then - is Stratford the nearest triangular junction to Hornsey ?.
It was never supposed to go via Stratford - it was added as an RTT timing - it’s in grey on the RTT path. Clearly it was always booked to go via Carpenters Road.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
Same 2 units tonight on the 1724. It is the first time that I have ever used a 379, but in terms of seat comfort it is a significant improvement on a 387 and night and day on a class 700. It will be interesting to see if GTR try to sell first class (including some APs to fill it off peak) or start taking out the seats. As others may have said it is at the London end of the train.

Still has great Anglia wi-fi (which I couldn't connect to)

This service could also very easily be covered by a 4 car set.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,424
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Same 2 units tonight on the 1724. It is the first time that I have ever used a 379, but in terms of seat comfort it is a significant improvement on a 387 and night and day on a class 700. It will be interesting to see if GTR try to sell first class (including some APs to fill it off peak) or start taking out the seats. As others may have said it is at the London end of the train.

First is a bit over-sized on the 379s, and that will eventually require a solution. One wonders how long first will survive on GTR anyway, given how things have gone elsewhere. Suspect it’s only the Cambridge area and a few places south of the river like Haywards Heath which have propped it up for the last few years.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
First is a bit over-sized on the 379s, and that will eventually require a solution. One wonders how long first will survive on GTR anyway, given how things have gone elsewhere. Suspect it’s only the Cambridge area and a few places south of the river like Haywards Heath which have propped it up for the last few years.
There are a few things they need to change, such as the trolley storage area.

If you look at the GTR (Great Northern) fleet in terms of comfort.

Standard Class
379
387
700 / 717

First Class
379
700
387

I agree that I can’t see 1st lasting, it will be interesting what they do at refurbishment time.That is a speculative thread.I suspect they will be fairly high up a the reliability tables this time next year. The seats as you can see on the walkthrough are looking worn.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,843
Location
West of Andover
First is a bit over-sized on the 379s, and that will eventually require a solution. One wonders how long first will survive on GTR anyway, given how things have gone elsewhere. Suspect it’s only the Cambridge area and a few places south of the river like Haywards Heath which have propped it up for the last few years.
Agreed there, I can see First class on GTR going the same way as it did on South Eastern, Greater Anglia & London Northwestern.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Same 2 units tonight on the 1724. It is the first time that I have ever used a 379, but in terms of seat comfort it is a significant improvement on a 387 and night and day on a class 700. It will be interesting to see if GTR try to sell first class (including some APs to fill it off peak) or start taking out the seats. As others may have said it is at the London end of the train.

Still has great Anglia wi-fi (which I couldn't connect to)

This service could also very easily be covered by a 4 car set.
I am surprised thought it would be a packed commuter service, especially on a Tuesday/ Wednesday
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
I am surprised thought it would be a packed commuter service, especially on a Tuesday/ Wednesday
When you look at the calling points, Welwyn North and Knebworth are just villages. Hitchin is better served on the Thameslink route (about the same journey time but 15 minutes clock face frequency) and Letchworth is quicker if you use the express. It helps relieve the following services to Cambridge, but it isn’t ever going to get many passengers.

The proposed switch in December 2025, it will be busier as it will stop at the larger demand stations of Potters Bar, Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City,
 

Top