• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Continental Railway Journeys - Series 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Michael Portillo is back with a new 6 part series travelling through Europe this week he travels from Transylvania to the Black Sea

Great Continental Railway Journeys airs tonight at 9pm on BBC 2 and at 8pm tomorrow on BBC 2 Scotland

Next week is Zermatt to Geneva
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I'm looking forward to this programme immensely. I've very much enjoyed the other seasons.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I don't know much about the area covered in the first show, so that will be very interesting to me.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
How many more routes which Bradshaw wrote about will there be that Portillo hasn't covered after this series? (Obviously not including routes which aren't still open.)
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,280
I enjoyed last night's show (I've been to many of those places many years ago!) though when compared to many episodes, it was relatively train light.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Mrs Greenback remarked on the lack of trains, and said she was disappointed by that, even though she enjoyed the show!

Maybe we'll see a few more next week!
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Just watched the new Swiss episode.

Superb fun for me as it covered some of my most frequented Swiss territory, especially Zermatt in the spring snow which I have done countless times for skiing with railways thrown in.

Biggest blunder was at the end with Portillo standing with 'Mont Blanc' in the background, except it wasn't Mont Blanc but a mountain closer to Geneva called Le Mole - the first Alpine mountain I ever climbed aged about 4 in the 1960s!




.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,829
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Surprised the continuity was still as bad as usual given that SBB don't operate more than about 8 different types of train in the entire country, with any given line only really getting 2 or 3 different types...

I did enjoy it though - I've spent lots of time around where he went, and some of the local history was interesting. Shame he didn't make it any further along the Lavaux line than Montreux, and that there was no reference to the Simplon-Orient-Express.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,426
Location
S Yorks, usually
Was quite surprised by the fondue train. Who thought putting burners with pans of molten cheese on the tables of a moving train was a good idea!
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,426
Location
S Yorks, usually
Perhaps surprisingly, my experience is that Switzerland does not "do" health and safety.

Or perhaps their approach is rather more "don't be stupid", with more emphasis on personal responsibility.
Like the open observation coaches on the RhB (https://www.rhb.ch/en/leisure-trave...hools/charter-carriages/open-scenic-carriages)
The open-air carriages have neither glazing nor heating. But they give you the feeling that you could reach out and touch the landscape of Graubünden, like no other train.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Biggest blunder was at the end with Portillo standing with 'Mont Blanc' in the background, except it wasn't Mont Blanc but a mountain closer to Geneva called Le Mole - the first Alpine mountain I ever climbed aged about 4 in the 1960s!

I think this picture shows what he missed. From Quai Wilson I think (local ferry stop).
Le Mole is in the left foreground, and Mont Blanc is off to the right, way in the distance, above the block of flats.
While I was there for an hour, Mont Blanc kept being blotted out by drifting cloud, so it's not always easy to see.
I worked out it was at a range of 70km.
Earlier in the day I had spotted Mont Blanc from a TGV south of Lyon at a range of 150km (2nd pic).
We'll forgive him this once. ;)
Actually the weather he had was pretty poor in places.
The intercut helicopter shots were in much better weather.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8713ea-mont blanc from lyon-90m.jpg
    IMG_8713ea-mont blanc from lyon-90m.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
IMont Blanc kept being blotted out by drifting cloud, so it's not always easy to see.
...
Earlier in the day I had spotted Mont Blanc from a TGV south of Lyon at a range of 150km (2nd pic).
We'll forgive him this once. ;)

The intercut helicopter shots were in much better weather.

Despite what the postcards would have you believe, it has to be good clear weather with fresh airstream for Mont Blanc to be easily visible from central Geneva. I've not seen it clear all that often in maybe 1000 visits to central Geneva over 56 years...

I have seen Mont Blanc many times over the years from the Beaujolais hills, and even from the centre of Lyon itself!

Of course its not 'he' we might forgive but the TV production company...and I'm afraid I don't. The two mountains are completely different (Mont Blanc is permanently snow covered for a start)

and the chopper shots at Zermatt were almost certainly filmed when Portillo was nowhere near the place!




.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It's only melted cheese, a little wine and seasoning.

I know what it is and I don't like it. I hate the texture of melted cheese, I'd much rather eat it unmelted, and without the additions!
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
I know what it is and I don't like it. I hate the texture of melted cheese, I'd much rather eat it unmelted, and without the additions!

That is personal; it is more the cleaning that is the problem.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Of course it's personal, I never said it wasn't. I know lots of people who like it, but I don't :D
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,426
Location
S Yorks, usually
[gravelly voice] Coming soon to a screen near you, "Fondue 2 - The Emmental Strikes Back". This time it's personal. [/gravelly voice]
 

tranzitjim

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2013
Messages
211
Location
Australia
Here in Australia, we are getting the start of his USA adventure.

A new travel guide, so far he has started from New York, went up to those Falls, done Long Island, and is now heading south.

I have learned so much about the USA, so many things I have never known. Words and terms I hear in US based movies and shows, now make a lot of sense.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,280
Plenty of trains tonight!

The Moroccan rail network is quite impressive, great to see a high speed line being built there
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Plenty of trains tonight!

Again, all over the place - a random collection of lineside filming, about two scenes of which were actually the train he travelled on.

Amusing that for the second time in three episodes many of the sequences included some ex-SNCF vehicles



.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
Again, all over the place - a random collection of lineside filming, about two scenes of which were actually the train he travelled on.

Amusing that for the second time in three episodes many of the sequences included some ex-SNCF vehicles



.

Yet another who doesn't get........................... oh why bother!

I love his programmes, in spite of the wrong trains, incorrect direction that the train go and or why that train never goes to that station or will stop at that platform and the other technical train-ey things that he doesn't do when explaining the social history of the places he visits.

I learned so much from the Moroccan journey that I had never considered looking at before. A trip to Morocco is on the cards some day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top