• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,702
Apologies my fault - misread your initial post (hadn't had coffee yet!)

5th & 6th of July is the Railway 200 open weekend, there will be an enhanced timetable, various exhibits etc. It's being run in conjunction with GCR(N) too with more to be announced.

Tickets are available here https://tickets.gcrailway.co.uk/events/121349 with more detail (although timetables haven't been published yet by the looks of it). The website is showing it under 'special events'.
Thanks for that. But how did you find that page? It doesn't seem to appear on the "Upcoming events and experiences" page. All that shows for that weekend is the dining experience.

Edit: I see now. If you already know that there is a special event on, and click on the special event tab on the main website, there is the link to it. But if you don't know that there is an event on, and so click on the timetable tab to try and find out what is running, you will be taken to the ticketing site which has no link to that page, even in its special events section, and even though the page is on the ticketing site!

It does rather remind me of Hitchhikers Guide episode where it was our fault for not knowing about the planning application to demolish the earth, despite it being on public display - in a locked filing cabinet, in an abandoned building guarded by tigers.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2009
Messages
570
Location
England
It is interesting that there is a prominent Max Speed 100mph sign. Back in the late 60's my father and I were talking to the signal man at Little Bythorn (?) on the ECML and he was convinced that some Deltics took much less than 3 mins to cover the 5 miles in his section....so what was the highest recorded Deltic speed?
1. I don't know
2. When travelling behind them regularly in the 60s it was a rare day when lengthy periods of between 108 and 110mph running weren't recorded.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,839
Location
SW London
It is interesting that there is a prominent Max Speed 100mph sign. Back in the late 60's my father and I were talking to the signal man at Little Bythorn (?) on the ECML and he was convinced that some Deltics took much less than 3 mins to cover the 5 miles in his section....so what was the highest recorded Deltic speed?
Little Bytham.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It does rather remind me of Hitchhikers Guide episode where it was our fault for not knowing about the planning application to demolish the earth, despite it being on public display - in a locked filing cabinet, in an abandoned building guarded by tigers.
This was in the very first Episode of HHGTG, and was the location of the plans to knock down Arthur Dent's house to build a bypass. The exact quote, was

“But the plans were on display …”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’.”

The plans to demolish the entire planet, to make way for a hyperspace bypass, were on display in the local planning office - on Alpha Centauri. To quote Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz, whose job it was to carry out the demolition:
"If you can't take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout" (To himself. but still on air) "Honestly, apathetic little planet, I've no sympathy........"
 
Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,434
Location
The Fens
It is interesting that there is a prominent Max Speed 100mph sign. Back in the late 60's my father and I were talking to the signal man at Little Bythorn (?) on the ECML and he was convinced that some Deltics took much less than 3 mins to cover the 5 miles in his section....so what was the highest recorded Deltic speed?
Little Bytham was on Stoke Bank between Grantham and Peterborough.

On the up road the previous signal box was Corby Glen, and mostly on a falling gradient of 1/200 from Stoke Tunnel. By way of comparison, the ruling gradient on the Great Central is a slightly steeper 1/176.

The signalman would describe the distance as 5 miles but my source gives a more precise distance of 4 miles 71 chains. At 100 mph a train would do Corby-Glen-Little Bytham in 3-4 seconds under 3 minutes.

There is a known example of a Deltic being permitted to exceed 100 mph at this location. This happened in 1967 on a test run for the new air braked Mark IIa coaches, hauled by D9016, and recorded by Cecil J Allen.

D9016 did Corby Glen-Little Bytham in 2 minutes 44 seconds. Allen used 4.85 miles for the distance for a pass to pass average speed of 106.5 mph. Allen recorded the maximum speed as 110 mph near Little Bytham, and the train averaged 108.0 mph between Little Bytham and Essendine, the next signal box towards Peterborough.
 
Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,087
Thanks for those replies re Deltic speeds.
In other news 34039 Boscastle had its boiler returned to the GCR. There is still some firebox work to do before it is has new tubes and elements fitted. More details on the Boscastle website or Fa..book page.
DSC04382.JPGDSC04385.JPG
 

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
572
Location
Maidstone
Just been reading Steam railway magazine - Black 5 45491 is getting evicted?

The defence by the Great Central is understandable and it's by no means anything new as a concept on heritage railways. The railway needs more space, and the Great Central has plenty of its own restorations going on. (This Black 5 is privately owned).

I know people will say there are plenty of Black 5's around but any lost Barry wrecks is not great especially when its restoration can mean a nearly as-new loco once completed.

I just hope that the Black 5 can find a new home, especially as the article said it's in an advanced stage of restoration.
 

james_the_xv

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2019
Messages
362
Location
West Midlands
Just been reading Steam railway magazine - Black 5 45491 is getting evicted?

The defence by the Great Central is understandable and it's by no means anything new as a concept on heritage railways. The railway needs more space, and the Great Central has plenty of its own restorations going on. (This Black 5 is privately owned).

I know people will say there are plenty of Black 5's around but any lost Barry wrecks is not great especially when its restoration can mean a nearly as-new loco once completed.

I just hope that the Black 5 can find a new home, especially as the article said it's in an advanced stage of restoration.
There are some conflicting reports as to what 'advanced stage of restoration' actually means given there's apparently been issues with some of the parts used.
 

Dave S 56F

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2020
Messages
236
Location
Cleckheaton west yorkshire
Just been reading Steam railway magazine - Black 5 45491 is getting evicted?

The defence by the Great Central is understandable and it's by no means anything new as a concept on heritage railways. The railway needs more space, and the Great Central has plenty of its own restorations going on. (This Black 5 is privately owned).

I know people will say there are plenty of Black 5's around but any lost Barry wrecks is not great especially when its restoration can mean a nearly as-new loco once completed.

I just hope that the Black 5 can find a new home, especially as the article said it's in an advanced stage of restoration.
Also as well for the mainline black 5 locos 45212 boiler ticket expires back end of this year so unless team Riley at Heywood are planning a fastrack overhaul the mainline market for railway touring Co and west coast railways 2026 season is going to be 45407 44871 more than likely at least one of those 5mt,s in Fort William for the jacobite and 34067 Tangmere and 60163 Tornado.
As for 45491 black 5 it's not been ruled out that it's one possibility it could be used as spares for other 5mt locos or scrapped it would be sad if that happened I somehow think 45491 personally a buyer can be found as its new heritage railway custodian as its in a advanced state of overhaul.
However as well on national preservation I've seen that if a buyer isent found by 16 July it could still be considered for 45491 to stay at the G.C.R. Loughborough.
 

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
572
Location
Maidstone
Also as well for the mainline black 5 locos 45212 boiler ticket expires back end of this year so unless team Riley at Heywood are planning a fastrack overhaul the mainline market for railway touring Co and west coast railways 2026 season is going to be 45407 44871 more than likely at least one of those 5mt,s in Fort William for the jacobite and 34067 Tangmere and 60163 Tornado.
As for 45491 black 5 it's not been ruled out that it's one possibility it could be used as spares for other 5mt locos or scrapped it would be sad if that happened I somehow think 45491 personally a buyer can be found as its new heritage railway custodian as its in a advanced state of overhaul.
However as well on national preservation I've seen that if a buyer isent found by 16 July it could still be considered for 45491 to stay at the G.C.R. Loughborough.
I read this post at the time, but I've only just gotten around to replying. This months's article in Steam railway (Issue 574) reminded me of this post.

As for the part about more Black ts for the Jacobite, it's the definition of 'it ain't broke, don't fix it', I'm sure more Black 5's would be welcome on the West highland line, especially newly restored ones.

This months issue of Steam railway (574) has not shown to be promising for the Black 5, with the threat of its eviction and potential scrapping growing. Has there been any updates since the magazine went to press on the locomotive? Once again, it would be a shame to lose such a locomotive in such an advanced stage of restoration especially with the potential it could bring as an attraction.
 

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2020
Messages
2,637
Location
South Staffordshire
I read this post at the time, but I've only just gotten around to replying. This months's article in Steam railway (Issue 574) reminded me of this post.

As for the part about more Black ts for the Jacobite, it's the definition of 'it ain't broke, don't fix it', I'm sure more Black 5's would be welcome on the West highland line, especially newly restored ones.

This months issue of Steam railway (574) has not shown to be promising for the Black 5, with the threat of its eviction and potential scrapping growing. Has there been any updates since the magazine went to press on the locomotive? Once again, it would be a shame to lose such a locomotive in such an advanced stage of restoration especially with the potential it could bring as an attraction.
Not sure where I read it recently but I am sure I heard that WCR are planning to reduce the Jacobite to a single loco and rake of stock next year. If that is true then WCR's requirement for hired Black fives theoretically reduces - until 34067 breaks again. However, for the next couple of years 45491's boiler and wheels and other bits could certainly help out the Riley "hire fleet".
 

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
572
Location
Maidstone
Not sure where I read it recently but I am sure I heard that WCR are planning to reduce the Jacobite to a single loco and rake of stock next year. If that is true then WCR's requirement for hired Black fives theoretically reduces - until 34067 breaks again. However, for the next couple of years 45491's boiler and wheels and other bits could certainly help out the Riley "hire fleet".
From someone who went on the Xmas 2019 Stratford upon Avon tour where after a year of intense service, Mayflower finally decided to break at Clapham junction, is that a wise idea on behalf of them to have just one Black 5 for the Jacobite? (I appreciate this is better off discussed on the new WCR thread).

As I have said previously, It would be sad to see it scrapped at such an advanced stage of restoration. I know Black 5s are numerous, but just because a steam locomotive is numerous in scale doesn't mean they cant still be crowd pullers or enjoyed by enthusiasts or the public.

The success of Southern Locomotive Limited group shows its possible with the number of their restored Bulleid light pacifics, despite a healthy amount of these locomotives being already preserved.

If the locomotive could leave the Great Central Railway without the cutters torch, what heritage railway would be appropriate or benefit the most from having a Black 5 join their fleet?
 

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2020
Messages
2,637
Location
South Staffordshire
From someone who went on the Xmas 2019 Stratford upon Avon tour where after a year of intense service, Mayflower finally decided to break at Clapham junction, is that a wise idea on behalf of them to have just one Black 5 for the Jacobite? (I appreciate this is better off discussed on the new WCR thread).

As I have said previously, It would be sad to see it scrapped at such an advanced stage of restoration. I know Black 5s are numerous, but just because a steam locomotive is numerous in scale doesn't mean they cant still be crowd pullers or enjoyed by enthusiasts or the public.

The success of Southern Locomotive Limited group shows its possible with the number of their restored Bulleid light pacifics, despite a healthy amount of these locomotives being already preserved.

If the locomotive could leave the Great Central Railway without the cutters torch, what heritage railway would be appropriate or benefit the most from having a Black 5 join their fleet?
I fundamentally agree with you, it would be sad to see 45491 cut, but I doubt it will, even if the parts are loaned to other projects. As an example, I believe 34073 technically still exists at Carnforth, and as such could be refurbed (shouldn't say rebuilt !!) Not sure whether 34067's left hand cylinder casting is scrap or whether it could be repaired to go back on 34073's frames. There aren't quite so many unrebuilt Lightweights around, so it may yet live on.

Black five parts again could be borrowed, then returned. I am guessing 45491 has pretty much the same dimensions as many of the preserved Black fives - was it the later batch with the different wheelbase ?
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
It's the Autumn Diesel Gala this weekend. I see the timetable online hasn't been updated from what was uploaded in the middle of August.

There's a bit of an inconsistency as the webpage about the gala says there are four sets in use (A, B, C and PCLS) and mentions a Class 101 DMU, yet the published timetable shows five sets (A, B, C, E, PCLS) and no DMU.

Has stock E been replaced by a DMU or is in DMU in addition and hasn't been added to the online timetable?
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,087
I believe Iris is in use today and the DMU is being loco hauled for the rest of the event.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
So the website says that the bar will be at Loughborough in the waiting room rather than the Tin Shed at Quorn.

Does anyone know what time it opens tomorrow? And isn't that a rather tiny room to have the main bar in?

Personally I thought Quorn was a good location, great for sitting outside and watching the trains pass in both directions. Is there some reason for this change?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
So the website says that the bar will be at Loughborough in the waiting room rather than the Tin Shed at Quorn.

Does anyone know what time it opens tomorrow? And isn't that a rather tiny room to have the main bar in?

Personally I thought Quorn was a good location, great for sitting outside and watching the trains pass in both directions. Is there some reason for this change?
Diesel cranks don't often get off at Quorn, they spend more time at Loughborough or on board. Thus sales are more effective doing it at Loughborough.

There's a counter outside for service and the stillage and beer is inside.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
Diesel cranks don't often get off at Quorn, they spend more time at Loughborough or on board. Thus sales are more effective doing it at Loughborough.

There's a counter outside for service and the stillage and beer is inside.
Right, I didn't know about the counter outside, that should work better.

I'm not much of a "Diesel crank" myself but they've promised proper cider, so that got me interested. :E
 

Ralph Ayres

Member
Joined
2 May 2012
Messages
261
Location
West London
I have seen a photo of D6700 hauling a blue Met Camm DMU on FB
What's the point of a loco hauling a DMU? Completely un-prototypical and rather smacks of desperation/shortage of stock. I'd much rather have a ride in a powered DMU, though perhaps I'm in a minority.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
What's the point of a loco hauling a DMU? Completely un-prototypical and rather smacks of desperation/shortage of stock. I'd much rather have a ride in a powered DMU, though perhaps I'm in a minority.
I very much enjoy vintage DMUs and have taken advantage of the Mountsorrel DMU service on the GCR, but this diesel gala is all about the locos and they needed a fifth set of coaches. It may not be "authentic" but then neither is having a large random selection of diesel locos gathered together hauling the other four varied sets of coaches!
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
What's the point of a loco hauling a DMU? Completely un-prototypical and rather smacks of desperation/shortage of stock. I'd much rather have a ride in a powered DMU, though perhaps I'm in a minority.
It was a regular occcurence from the steam era till the 90s.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
It was a regular occcurence from the steam era till the 90s.

It certainly was!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,378
A lot going on at the GCR autumn steam gala today. Certainly worth visiting.
The weather went down hill in the afternoon but plenty of shelter on the trains
Very enjoyable and great to see all the visitors especially Jubilee Bahamas.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,737
Location
West Riding
I visited yesterday for the Bahamas farewell, which was excellent, the GCR is such a photogenic line! The Mogul seemed to develop a steam leak over the day though.

 

Top