• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways livery: Alternative suggestions/variations

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,182
Location
Liverpool

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,182
Location
Liverpool
I really like those, my only suggestion is to loose the white line that runs along the length of the unit, it doesn't really add anything.
On the contrary I think it helps break up some of the monotony of the blue and is a decent alternative to black window bands, especially if intermediate coaches aren't using red and white at each end.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,556
Location
Lichfield
On the contrary I think it helps break up some of the monotony of the blue and is a decent alternative to black window bands, especially if intermediate coaches aren't using red and white at each end.

Looking at them again, i get where you're coming from, I'd be interested to see them without the white stripe though but with the addition of a black window band.
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,355
I wonder how it'd look with a very dark navy blue and a dark red, and some sort of grey standing in for the white.

After all its going to get covered in dust and grime in short order anyway!
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,182
Location
Liverpool
Decided to have a little go at creating a GBR InterCity livery with a more South West Trains style approach. The difference between the two here is just whether to use a red or white pinstripe along the bodyshell.
 

Attachments

  • GBR390 (RWB2).png
    GBR390 (RWB2).png
    35.3 KB · Views: 106

Many2Audi

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2026
Messages
12
Location
East London
Decided to have a little go at creating a GBR InterCity livery with a more South West Trains style approach. The difference between the two here is just whether to use a red or white pinstripe along the bodyshell.
This looks great! It looks really similar to Virgins livery at the front. It may well spark back fond memories of how the WCML once was.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,556
Location
Lichfield
Decided to have a little go at creating a GBR InterCity livery with a more South West Trains style approach. The difference between the two here is just whether to use a red or white pinstripe along the bodyshell.

Looks decent on the Pendolino, not sure how it would look on something more boxy, such as a Voyager.
 

Zomboid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2025
Messages
2,310
Location
Oxford
Looks decent on the Pendolino, not sure how it would look on something more boxy, such as a Voyager.
SWT put that style on 159s & 444s, and EMT put it on 158s & 222s, so there's a reference for how that kind of thing would look.

I like it, but I wonder if it's not a bit dated these days.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,556
Location
Lichfield
SWT put that style on 159s & 444s, and EMT put it on 158s & 222s, so there's a reference for how that kind of thing would look.

I like it, but I wonder if it's not a bit dated these days.

Ah yeah true, I'd forgotten about that!

But I agree, possibly a bit dated, though I doubt it would take much to freshen it up, as SWT did with the livery on the 159s towards the end of their franchise.
 
Joined
8 Apr 2018
Messages
45
Location
Loughborough
Decided to have a little go at creating a GBR InterCity livery with a more South West Trains style approach. The difference between the two here is just whether to use a red or white pinstripe along the bodyshell.
This is really good, I've always been a fan of the EMT/SWT livery
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,182
Location
Liverpool
This looks great! It looks really similar to Virgins livery at the front. It may well spark back fond memories of how the WCML once was.
Looks decent on the Pendolino, not sure how it would look on something more boxy, such as a Voyager.
This is really good, I've always been a fan of the EMT/SWT livery
Thank you for the positive feedback. I had many variations on this one including red doors or just all blue streams rather than the red one over the cab end. I like to describe as both Stagecoach and British Airways inspired. I think it'd be fairly easy to adapt onto other units but I'd have to work on that to find out.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Now I've seen it on a few odd-number-of-coaches units, I think I'm leaning towards the idea that it is actually OK as a livery but should just have the pointy device on the cab ends with other vehicles being overall dark blue. The lighter blue shouldn't be used for a body as it's too Lumo esque (it's worth noting there are two versions - light and dark - you can see both on the Chiltern Mk5 implementation).

I genuinely think it looks quite good on a 3 car unit with the middle coach plain dark blue. It's the repeat of the same device that jars.

Maybe add a charcoal window band to break it up a bit. And stop using Rail Alphabet as a logotype - yes, SBB do that sort of thing, but it doesn't work on a "brash" livery which needs a "brash" logo to go with it, or just the double arrow!
 

Pete_uk

On Moderation
Joined
28 Jan 2017
Messages
1,552
Location
Stroud, Glos
Not must of an alternative but the livery doesn't look too bad, I suppose
 

Attachments

  • grok_image_xjec116.jpg
    grok_image_xjec116.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 30
  • grok_image_xc4s7xm.jpg
    grok_image_xc4s7xm.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 30

Top