• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways livery: Alternative suggestions/variations

Callum450

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2023
Messages
11
Location
Noel's House Party
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leyland Bus

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2021
Messages
1,226
Location
York
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)
Far nicer! That's a cracking effort! :D
 
Joined
23 Jul 2025
Messages
17
Location
Tunbridge Wells
For this, I am counting locos as per their typical full length, including Driving trailer and locomotive.
TOCUnits with odd number of carriagesUnits with even number of carriagesPercentage odd (rounded to 1dp)
EMR33 810 (5)
I have ignored 222s since there would be overlap with 810s as they leave/enter service
16 170 (3)
26 158 (2)
21 360 (4)
26 170 (2)
49/122 = 40.2%
Total106715581067/2625 = 40.6%
Small correction for the EMR row, you've included the 16 3-car 170s in the even column and the 26 2-car 170s in the odd column. If we swap them around to put them in the right columns, EMR instead have 49/122 trains with odd numbers of carriages, or 40.2%. This also alters the bottom total row, so we subtract 10 from the odd column to compensate for the previous error in the EMR row. This gives 1067/2625 for fraction odd, or 40.6% odd. I've quoted your original message and edited the EMR and total rows to correct the figures (corrections in bold), with the other correct rows not quoted so the table doesn't unnecessarily fill the entire screen.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,603
For the ‘intercity’ livery, I’d swap the blue and white around, so it’s a mostly white train, and make the diagonal blocks more curvy to match the sleeker nose that both 800s and 390s have.

Alternatively maybe just take the LNER livery and add some blue to it, maybe the red pattern that goes across the window line, could be red and blue instead
 

pr1

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2026
Messages
86
Location
Preston, Lancashire
Forgive me, but re:naming, would that suggest GBR|TransPennine or more likely |Northern |NorthEast etc? It's difficult because "trans-Pennine" can be both description and brand!
 

SomeTrainboy

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2024
Messages
50
Location
NE Lincs
Personally, I would remove the blue that goes all along the side of the body and replace it with the "sub-sector" that unit serves, like old BR(S) green for that new 387. Basically take inspiration from American "heritage" liveries where the new corporate livery changes for the older one, GBR livery changes for a recognisable one.
1779478042499.png
2988E0C2-A8B4-A852-AB2C4332D8FAF32D_landingverttab.jpg

(includes mock 387 and a CSX from which i drew inspiration)
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,603
Forgive me, but re:naming, would that suggest GBR|TransPennine or more likely |Northern |NorthEast etc? It's difficult because "trans-Pennine" can be both description and brand!
That’s a good point because the DfT need reminding despite wanting everything the same, ‘Transpennine Express’ as a brand existed before privatisation.
 

Mr. SW

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
551
Location
Armchair
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)
Nice. Suggestion: Try it without the thin bodyside stripe and replace "Great British Railways" with plain "Southern".
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,648
Location
Greater Manchester
Small correction for the EMR row, you've included the 16 3-car 170s in the even column and the 26 2-car 170s in the odd column. If we swap them around to put them in the right columns, EMR instead have 49/122 trains with odd numbers of carriages, or 40.2%. This also alters the bottom total row, so we subtract 10 from the odd column to compensate for the previous error in the EMR row. This gives 1067/2625 for fraction odd, or 40.6% odd. I've quoted your original message and edited the EMR and total rows to correct the figures (corrections in bold), with the other correct rows not quoted so the table doesn't unnecessarily fill the entire screen.
Thanks, I've corrected the original post.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
Personally, I would remove the blue that goes all along the side of the body and replace it with the "sub-sector" that unit serves, like old BR(S) green for that new 387. Basically take inspiration from American "heritage" liveries where the new corporate livery changes for the older one, GBR livery changes for a recognisable one.
View attachment 204656
(includes mock 387 and a CSX from which i drew inspiration)
Even more hideous than what they have done. Just an absolute mess of random colours. The whole point of this is getting a national identity for the railway.
 

Zomboid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2025
Messages
2,310
Location
Oxford
Personally, I would remove the blue that goes all along the side of the body and replace it with the "sub-sector" that unit serves, like old BR(S) green for that new 387. Basically take inspiration from American "heritage" liveries where the new corporate livery changes for the older one, GBR livery changes for a recognisable one.
View attachment 204656
2988E0C2-A8B4-A852-AB2C4332D8FAF32D_landingverttab.jpg

(includes mock 387 and a CSX from which i drew inspiration)
CSX really don't do heritage properly, not painting the cabs. NS and UP do it much more whole heartedly.

I do quite like your idea for the GBR scheme though - I'd probably have a base white/ light grey on the carriage sides with a coloured window band for the sub sectors - and green doesn't really fit with the red & blue, but there would be plenty of colours which would.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,191
Location
Liverpool
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)
Considerably better already. Makes use of the flag in a more subtle way while still being clearly flag-derived (as was the intention). I also feel like the black window bands just make sense and invoke a more premium feel compared to the low-cost style like Lumo or Ouigo.

For the ‘intercity’ livery, I’d swap the blue and white around, so it’s a mostly white train, and make the diagonal blocks more curvy to match the sleeker nose that both 800s and 390s have.
The South West Trains approach of differentiating by service type would've worked well in my opinion. It didn't even need that many modifications when you think about it, just a few colour swaps and adaptations for each train class
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Nice. Suggestion: Try it without the thin bodyside stripe and replace "Great British Railways" with plain "Southern".
I'd also agree it would be better without the thin stripe - please could we see this option to judge it?
 

Mr. SW

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
551
Location
Armchair
That's better. You can see there's no need to splash "Great British Railways" over everything. The livery on its own suffices.
 

Mike Machin

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2017
Messages
384
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)
Apologies, I meant to comment earlier but I was interrupted by unexpected visitors.

Anyway, until recent retirement I have been a graphic designer since 1979, working on projects around the world including transport projects as well as frequent freelancing for the BBC - so although design is subjective, I do have quite a lot of experience, even if I do say so myself!

I think this particular proposal is absolutely perfect. It completely fulfills the government’s brief in the way it stamps the strong UK/national branding on the rolling stock as they so obviously want, including the title ‘Great British Railways’ which appears to be incredibly important to them, but it’s so much more cohesive and has a finesse which is missing from the design which has been rolled-out so far.

I really think you should make every effort to try and get this to the attention of Heidi Alexander.

Unfortunately I don’t have any contacts at the DfT, but your local MP should be able to help one would hope.

Thanks for sharing.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Using my photoshop skills I’ve applied my redesign of the GBR livery on a Class 387.

I have also decided to add a white stripe on the side of the train (which is red on the doors) similar to the likes of South West Trains and GWR.

It doesn’t really serve any actual purpose but I just think it looks nice and makes the intermediate coaches look a little less “boring”.

(Original image by Joshua Brown)

Yes of course!

Done that as well
These are absolutely incredible. The best on here by a country mile and it smashes the official one out of the park.

Just need an Intercity concept (perhaps TPE livery with your GBR colours, or a version of your livery that predominantly has white with black-banded windows then GBR coulored cab ends) and you've got the perfect regional vs intercity distinction.
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
Has anyone considered a royal purple livery? Obviously making it different to the Elizabeth line. Could allow for a very simple design that is still seen as British
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,752
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Everyone is wondering how it will look on units with odd numbers of coaches, but nobody is asking about the FLIRTs. How will this look on a 755/3 with the asymmetry  and power pack?

They do need to think about that. Logic would be to design a pattern specifically for the power pack, with the end vehicles having the pointy pattern and the intermediates just the blues.

The TPE livery provides an example of how to do this (indeed I still think just using the TPE livery pattern with the GBR colours would work quite well!)
 

150249

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2021
Messages
1,242
Location
The better Devon city
To put my unnecessary two pence in, I think it looks far better on the 701 which I find weird because I prefer the general look of the 387. I think it's because the 701s are longer units, that must play a part. I think the livery itself looks quite good but I dread the day where it will be on every train in the country. In my opinion, half the fun of travelling around the country is seeing the variety of different trains in a variety of different colors which will be lost in the coming 5-10 years.
 

AndrewP

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
497
I have been pretty critical of the livery so here are my suggestions:

Intercity:
Use either LNER or GWR as the base colour and the following colours for the various companies / lines:
  • LNER - Red (as is if LNER), Blue if GWR based
  • GWR - Green
  • Avanti WC - Maroon
  • Cross Country - Grey
  • EMR - Purple
  • Trans Pennine - Turquoise
London and the South East
Use the current southern with a different colour contrast for each region based on existing or traditional colours

Regional (Outside London and the South East)
Although Northern could be used with different colours by region / operating area, maybe this could be updated as it is a bit bland - maybe base it on SWR

For consistency use a single typeface for logos and Rail Typeface for everything else. Also bring in consistency with yellow stripes for first class (plus window stickers) and Northern style stripes for wheelchairs and bikes

Just some thoughts which would minimise cost by already having a significant number of trains already painted and undoubtedly better than GBR's MS Paint effort
 

Mr. SW

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
551
Location
Armchair
London and the South East
Use the current southern with a different colour contrast for each region based on existing or traditional colours
South Western: Adams Pea Green
LBSC (Southern): Marsh Umber
South Eastern: SECR Carriage Cherry Red

Pretty Please! :D
 

Callum450

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2023
Messages
11
Location
Noel's House Party
These are absolutely incredible. The best on here by a country mile and it smashes the official one out of the park.
Thank You!
Just need an Intercity concept (perhaps TPE livery with your GBR colours, or a version of your livery that predominantly has white with black-banded windows then GBR coulored cab ends) and you've got the perfect regional vs intercity distinction.
This is what I’ve quickly created for a modern interpretation of the Intercity livery and I am open for further suggestions.

I’ve attempted to retain some of the classic features of the original Intercity livery such as the sharp angles, red stripe, large black window banners and the iconic swallow.

However the changes I’ve made include the addition of white doors to meet modern disability requirements, the red stripe now outlining the black banner and the original beige has been replaced with grey (it’s actually meant to be silver like the Virgin Trains livery).

Original photo by Nathan Williamson
 

Attachments

  • Untitled168_20260527230601.jpeg
    Untitled168_20260527230601.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,191
Location
Liverpool
Thank You!

This is what I’ve quickly created for a modern interpretation of the Intercity livery and I am open for further suggestions.

I’ve attempted to retain some of the classic features of the original Intercity livery such as the sharp angles, red stripe, large black window banners and the iconic swallow.

However the changes I’ve made include the addition of white doors to meet modern disability requirements, the red stripe now outlining the black banner and the original beige has been replaced with grey (it’s actually meant to be silver like the Virgin Trains livery).

Original photo by Nathan Williamson
Very nicely done for a quick picture, even if I'm not the biggest fan of putting the old InterCity livery on modern trains (we need a new brand going forward).

I've seen people mention using the TPE livery for a GBR InterCity one, so I quicky put one together on Paint a few days ago. It might look better as a proper Photoshop but I don't quite know to be honest. I did the bottom alternative to not look too much like Lumo.
 

Attachments

  • GBR802 (TPE).png
    GBR802 (TPE).png
    32.1 KB · Views: 152

Top