• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways livery: Alternative suggestions/variations

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
Ah, hello! Do come and say hello next time!

So, here a few more; my guess is that many prefer the white InterCity look, well, to distinguish between IC and regional operations; here's an example of a class 707 and a class 168 in my regional livery.

Important to note I did also add some detailing for accessibility spaces and 1/2 class. The livery flexibility also allows for details for cycle spaces...

Ps, with the versions I've sent to the DfT; I removed any textual elements with regards to "GBR".

These are the best designs so far.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Some of their services will be run by their devolved TOCs some won't be.

Ideally GBR will be the public facing brand for everywhere and Scotland and Wales are basically regions like Southern and Western will be. The Scottish government can still set fares and service specification and handle some marketing for national services but It should be tried as much as possible to keep the branding the same across Britain
The 'devolved TOCs' are not GBR's in the way you imply. ScotRail is, and will still be, operationally independent from GBR (apart from infrastructure and timetabling) and thus not 'devolved' from GBR.

The poster you quoted was quite right - GBR effectively is an English only rebrand of the mergence of DfT controlled English TOCs and Network Rail. It is not a merged takeover that seeks to take ownership of, then re-devolve the likes of ScotRail and TfW, back to the Scottish and Welsh governments as some sort of arms length devolve-branded GBR operation.
 

renegademaster

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2023
Messages
2,222
Location
Croydon
It is not a merged takeover that seeks to take ownership of, then re-devolve the likes of ScotRail and TfW
I never said anywhere in my post it was.

But the fare system inherited from national rail will be controlled by GBR and it would be silly to break up the unified branding and fare system (that was unfortunately never developed as fully as hoped) just to appease a tiny minority that would be annoyed at a "GBR" service in Scotland.

I never said that the Scottish government should be stripped of all it's powers to set fares and timetables etc, but it would work better for customers that most of that detail is abstracted away from them and to the customer all the branding and fare system looks the same from.


You could have a Scottish and Welsh specific livery but I think it would slicker if all the nations used colour palette swapped version of the same livery (and "Bee network" could the same livery of other English regional trains with a yellow pallete etc)
 
Last edited:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
I never said anywhere in my post it was.

But the fare system inherited from national rail will be controlled by GBR and it would be silly to break up the unified branding and fare system (that was unfortunately never developed as fully as hoped) just to appease a tiny minority that would be annoyed at a "GBR" service in Scotland.

I never said that the Scottish government should be stripped of all it's powers to set fares and timetables etc, but it would work better for customers that most of that detail is abstracted away from them and to the customer all the branding and fare system looks the same from.


You could have a Scottish and Welsh specific livery but I think it would slicker if all the nations used colour palette swapped version of the same livery (and "Bee network" could the same livery of other English regional trains with a yellow pallete etc)

Or a base GBR livery with the flag of the country the train is ran by or something.
 

Mike Machin

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2017
Messages
385
I have worked in the creative industry all of my working life after four years studying graphic design at art school and I have been the co-owner of a successful multi-national design consultancy since 1989.

I have shown the various proposed designs to team members and other designers who I know and the unanimous general consensus appears to be that most people feel that yes, the train livery will need some ‘fettling’ but it’s generally looking refreshingly different.

I think the rolling stock livery needs to be viewed holistically and very much in context with the whole branding identity. When the signage, ticket barriers, posters, station decoration, website, uniform, name badges, app and marketing have all become a reality the overall impression will be very effective and strong.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I have worked in the creative industry all of my working life after four years studying graphic design at art school and I have been the co-owner of a successful multi-national design consultancy since 1989.

I have shown the various proposed designs to team members and other designers who I know and the unanimous general consensus appears to be that most people feel that yes, the train livery will need some ‘fettling’ but it’s generally looking refreshingly different.

I think the rolling stock livery needs to be viewed holistically and very much in context with the whole branding identity. When the signage, ticket barriers, posters, station decoration, website, uniform, name badges, app and marketing have all become a reality the overall impression will be very effective and strong.

You make some very good points here.

The livery it's self isn't bad, but yes, it'll probably undergo multiple rounds of fettling before anyone gets the paint brushes out.
 

Simon75

On Moderation
Joined
25 May 2016
Messages
1,528
Nothing wrong with British Rail, a name people know. Plenty of old company names have been resurrected ie British Steel
 

jupiter

Member
Joined
9 May 2021
Messages
340
Location
Dorset
What impression does the originally proposed livery convey? Gimmicky? Brash? Fussy? I’d prefer a livery that says “competent, steady, reliable, professional”.
 

devonexpress

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2016
Messages
293
Furthermore, to my original post showing my idea for GBR Intercity. This is my own idea for the "Regional" services which is a blend of SouthEastern and Chilterns new livery on the refurbished 168s and 196s. Alongside some signage ideas too, I appreciate not everyone probably likes it and may think it's a bit too retro or not British enough. But I believe the new GBR brand should have a more professional look similar to Manchester BeeNetwork which is a symbol of reliability, quality and value for money.
 

Attachments

  • GBR_150.png
    GBR_150.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 215
  • GBR_SIGNS.png
    GBR_SIGNS.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 214

HighlandStorm

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
174
Location
Inverness
Quick edit in MS paint, big improvement, less is more in this case.

View attachment 193955
As I and many others stated, omitting the flag arrow on intermediate cars makes it much more effective instead of a mess.

However if you have several 2 car multiple units joined together you are kind of back to square one - but at least avoid the aberration that was the middle car on the original artwork!

One thing though about the desire to avoid British Rail. ScotRail was a creation of BR, yet nobody has seriously tried to bury or remove the ScotRail brand. It seems to be almost inevitable that Great British Railways will be shortened to British Rail just as British Railways was.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,540
Location
London
Quick edit in MS paint, big improvement, less is more in this case.

View attachment 193955
Such a simple change but I think really takes it from looking garish to looking great. Nice work

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

One thing though about the desire to avoid British Rail. ScotRail was a creation of BR, yet nobody has seriously tried to bury or remove the ScotRail brand. It seems to be almost inevitable that Great British Railways will be shortened to British Rail just as British Railways was.
I think it's more likely to be called "GBR" , like how TfL is very often abbreviated, even in their own announcements and marketing.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
Such a simple change but I think really takes it from looking garish to looking great. Nice work

Thanks, as I said, in this case, less is certainly more.

As HighlandStorm says above though, you still have the issue of it looking cluttered on a 2 car unit, though I'm sure the flag can be shrunk to cover just the first third of the carriage rather than the whole thing.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Furthermore, to my original post showing my idea for GBR Intercity. This is my own idea for the "Regional" services which is a blend of SouthEastern and Chilterns new livery on the refurbished 168s and 196s. Alongside some signage ideas too, I appreciate not everyone probably likes it and may think it's a bit too retro or not British enough. But I believe the new GBR brand should have a more professional look similar to Manchester BeeNetwork which is a symbol of reliability, quality and value for money.

To me, this livery doesn't say quality or professionalism, it says designed on the cheap in MS Paint.
 

Mike Machin

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2017
Messages
385
Such a simple change but I think really takes it from looking garish to looking great. Nice work

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I think it's more likely to be called "GBR" , like how TfL is very often abbreviated, even in their own announcements and marketing.
Yes, I agree I think event we won’t think twice about referring to it as GBR, just as people do with DB, SNCF etc.
 

Xamimus

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2025
Messages
5
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I've been browsing the forums for a little while now, and I've finally worked up the courage to make an account so I can post these alternate GBR liveries I made a little while ago.gbrlivery-01.png
The InterCity one was especially difficult, as it ended up at one point looking like that Icelandair 757-300 (if any of you know what I'm referring to), and the Regional one is basically just Network Southeast's but different, because their livery was pretty good in my opinion.

I'm still not sure about the front of the InterCity livery (I was trying to go for sharp angles like the livery on the 91s, but 800s don't really suit it) but that was the best I could think of.

Also I have no idea if I'm using the forums correctly...
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,890
Location
Cambridge
Quick edit in MS paint, big improvement, less is more in this case.

View attachment 193955
That, I think, looks great - and I genuinely believe was the current planned livery saved for power cars only with blue in between, it would be a fantastic rebrand for the UK’s railways. I’ve always been in favour of one blanket livery for all.
 

Transilien

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2024
Messages
757
Location
Ayrshire
One thing though about the desire to avoid British Rail. ScotRail was a creation of BR, yet nobody has seriously tried to bury or remove the ScotRail brand. It seems to be almost inevitable that Great British Railways will be shortened to British Rail just as British Railways was.
I think Westminster has a more negative view on British Rail and nationalisation in general than Holyrood.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
That, I think, looks great - and I genuinely believe was the current planned livery saved for power cars only with blue in between, it would be a fantastic rebrand for the UK’s railways. I’ve always been in favour of one blanket livery for all.

Indeed, the base livey has a lot of potential, but as you say, needs plane blue in between.

Less is more.
 

DoubleLemon

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2021
Messages
168
Location
Bedford
I've been browsing the forums for a little while now, and I've finally worked up the courage to make an account so I can post these alternate GBR liveries I made a little while ago.View attachment 195001
The InterCity one was especially difficult, as it ended up at one point looking like that Icelandair 757-300 (if any of you know what I'm referring to), and the Regional one is basically just Network Southeast's but different, because their livery was pretty good in my opinion.

I'm still not sure about the front of the InterCity livery (I was trying to go for sharp angles like the livery on the 91s, but 800s don't really suit it) but that was the best I could think of.

Also I have no idea if I'm using the forums correctly...
I have to give you credit where it's due. These are nice. The one issue is there is no stylised UK flag anymore. The idea of the flag is a good one, but it's too ott and should only be at the ends.
Edit: I had a quick go, iterating on your original design. (I hope you don't mind).
BCO.2906dd92-51ea-4d95-ad8d-8a53e94ccf7c.png

They still need work, so I wondered if AI could have a go - its better but its not quite right.. but in the direction I was thinking.

Copilot_20260113_074504.png
 
Last edited:

busesnco

New Member
Joined
9 Nov 2025
Messages
4
Location
Doncaster
1768772894256.png
This is what I got for an 802 - seems to be a case of 'less is more'. Not bad for AI!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

1768773666617.png
And here is what I got for a 195 - not as good considering the font is on the windows but still looks better than the original...
 
Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,904
View attachment 196145
This is what I got for an 802 - seems to be a case of 'less is more'. Not bad for AI!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

View attachment 196147
And here is what I got for a 195 - not as good considering the font is on the windows but still looks better than the original...
The 195 appears at a glance to have a swastika for a logo.
 

lkbergen

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2025
Messages
12
Location
Edinburgh
Hi folks, first time posting here, some of you know me professionally, and other from other places.

Anyway posting here because, yes, I've done my own versions

There are two, the first is the Navy Blue main shell, of my own liking, and the second is a compromise between GBR's proposed livery, and my own, in white bodyshell.

Third image is of a FLIRT in the second version.

Credit to William John Lane of Train Sim FB group, who reskin an 80x an made it look grand!
Hi Folks, as some are aware - I challenged the DfT on the livery shenanigans; wrote them a letter, and asked the for a few notes regarding the Livery in terms of industry pride, accessibility, and operational effectiveness.

For those who are interested, this is their reply;
 

Attachments

  • 20260202_201514.jpg
    20260202_201514.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 125

Mike Machin

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2017
Messages
385
Hi Folks, as some are aware - I challenged the DfT on the livery shenanigans; wrote them a letter, and asked the for a few notes regarding the Livery in terms of industry pride, accessibility, and operational effectiveness.

For those who are interested, this is their reply;
This all very much reiterates what Heidi Alexander said in her half-hour Q&A session on Times Radio on Wednesday morning. The subject of the new branding was raised by a contributor from Cornwall, who expressed a liking for the current GWR branding with a hope that it would continue. Ms. Alexander said that she too liked the present-day livery, referring to it as ‘bottle green.’ She went on to explain that the eventual aim was to introduce a national branding throughout the network, but acknowledged that this would take a very considerable length of time as there was no question of the possibility of re-painting any trains until it was due in the normal re-painting schedule.

For the meantime, the current operating liveries and names would likely continue, with just a mention that it was a ‘Part of Great British Railways.’ I’m beginning to think that for years we will still be seeing trains in their existing liveries with a mention of GBR and equally, some trains increasingly in their new corporate GBR livery but with a mention of their regional identity.

Interesting times ahead!
 

lkbergen

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2025
Messages
12
Location
Edinburgh
This all very much reiterates what Heidi Alexander said in her half-hour Q&A session on Times Radio on Wednesday morning. The subject of the new branding was raised by a contributor from Cornwall, who expressed a liking for the current GWR branding with a hope that it would continue. Ms. Alexander said that she too liked the present-day livery, referring to it as ‘bottle green.’ She went on to explain that the eventual aim was to introduce a national branding throughout the network, but acknowledged that this would take a very considerable length of time as there was no question of the possibility of re-painting any trains until it was due in the normal re-painting schedule.

For the meantime, the current operating liveries and names would likely continue, with just a mention that it was a ‘Part of Great British Railways.’ I’m beginning to think that for years we will still be seeing trains in their existing liveries with a mention of GBR and equally, some trains increasingly in their new corporate GBR livery but with a mention of their regional identity.

Interesting times ahead!
I want to be part of it.

The fact is, a unified Visual Identity for the railway is possible, and should be saught;

It would should cohesion and and welcome passengers into an open and friendly visual ecosystem with intent and integrity.

What NR have been doing with Wayfinding is good, but because the programme for the new visual identity was brought out before the context of GBR's messy livery and flags, it looks clumsy.

I've included suggestions.
 

Attachments

  • BLACK_BASE_2.mp4
    2.2 MB
  • Wayfind-01-.png
    Wayfind-01-.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Wayfind-02-.png
    Wayfind-02-.png
    258.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Wayfind-03-.png
    Wayfind-03-.png
    362 KB · Views: 56

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
This all very much reiterates what Heidi Alexander said in her half-hour Q&A session on Times Radio on Wednesday morning. The subject of the new branding was raised by a contributor from Cornwall, who expressed a liking for the current GWR branding with a hope that it would continue. Ms. Alexander said that she too liked the present-day livery, referring to it as ‘bottle green.’ She went on to explain that the eventual aim was to introduce a national branding throughout the network, but acknowledged that this would take a very considerable length of time as there was no question of the possibility of re-painting any trains until it was due in the normal re-painting schedule.

For the meantime, the current operating liveries and names would likely continue, with just a mention that it was a ‘Part of Great British Railways.’ I’m beginning to think that for years we will still be seeing trains in their existing liveries with a mention of GBR and equally, some trains increasingly in their new corporate GBR livery but with a mention of their regional identity.

Interesting times ahead!

To be fair, that's a very sensible way of doing things

Every time a franchise changed hands there was no end of comments on how the latest rebranding is a waste of money...
 

lkbergen

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2025
Messages
12
Location
Edinburgh
I want to be part of it.

The fact is, a unified Visual Identity for the railway is possible, and should be saught;

It would should cohesion and and welcome passengers into an open and friendly visual ecosystem with intent and integrity.

What NR have been doing with Wayfinding is good, but because the programme for the new visual identity was brought out before the context of GBR's messy livery and flags, it looks clumsy.

I've included suggestions.
I've added to this; I'd ideally like to a GBR app in line with the visual identity as suggested;
The SBB app works very well and incredible in terms of implementing the iconic Swiss visual identity.

This is what it would look like with the GBR color pallete / RA2
 

Attachments

  • GBR_app.PNG
    GBR_app.PNG
    237.9 KB · Views: 87

Top