• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Britain interurban bus map

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,180
There is no longer a route 8 south from Aberdeen; now there are the X8 and X9.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parebunks

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
325
Location
Manchester/Oxford
LC9 (Grantham to Nottingham) is now run by Centrebus and the 93A/B (Grantham to Bottesford) by Callconnect.
Up near Edinburgh, the 120 and 121 are now run be East Coast Buses so should be municipal purple rather than orange (presumably ex-Eve?)

The Warrington-Northwich link is hourly if you include the 9A alongside the 9 - I know it bifurcates slightly but there are no other locations shown between.
Thanks for mentioning this additional Warrington Transport service.
Would it also be possible to add another couple of interurban services run by this municipal operator?
5A/5B Warrington to Sale (an intermediate town between Altrincham and Manchester on TfGM route 263), which would need to be added to the map - the service is hourly Mon-Sat (2 hourly Sun)
62 Warrington to Runcorn - hourly Mon-Sat
SL3 in London runs from Bromley to Thanesmead, not Woolwich. (It meets the 96 at Bexleyheath.)
There is no longer a route 8 south from Aberdeen; now there are the X8 and X9.
Thanks, fixed all - although unfortunately the map is too crowded to fit Sale on.
There's lots of intercity coach routes serve Edinburgh Airport. Is there something special about the 787? I can see they'd be tricky to add (except perhaps the E19 every 20 minutes from Livingston).
Good point - simple answer is I added the 787 later given it's a newer route, and didn't think to go back and check what else was there. Leaving it as is for now but the Scotland map will need a rework soon, it's hard to read and Ember are expanding very rapidly. Watch this space!
 

Attachments

  • gb_bus.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 118

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
889
Location
Bridport
This is great!

One thing (everyones a critic!) the E18 (Inverness - Ullapool) appears to go via Dunbeath... I think it would be better if it was a diagonal line NW from Inverness.
I do appreciate the difficulty of showing everything, and that the map is not strictly geographical.

What software did you use? I would love to have a stab at making a map for West Dorset.



P.S.
Between Bridport and Weymouth the X52 also runs, along the same route as X53. It is a summer-only open top bus.
 
Last edited:

Parebunks

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
325
Location
Manchester/Oxford
This is great!

One thing (everyones a critic!) the E18 (Inverness - Ullapool) appears to go via Dunbeath... I think it would be better if it was a diagonal line NW from Inverness.
I do appreciate the difficulty of showing everything, and that the map is not strictly geographical.
Unfortunately doing this wouldn't leave any room for the Inverness label - but that might change with the aforementioned rework of that inset.
What software did you use? I would love to have a stab at making a map for West Dorset.
Illustrator - there's some good pointers at transitmap.net, feel free to DM me if you want more.
P.S.
Between Bridport and Weymouth the X52 also runs, along the same route as X53. It is a summer-only open top bus.
In general I haven't included routes like that where there's an all-year equivalent!
 

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
889
Location
Bridport
This is great!

One thing (everyones a critic!) the E18 (Inverness - Ullapool) appears to go via Dunbeath... I think it would be better if it was a diagonal line NW from Inverness.
I do appreciate the difficulty of showing everything, and that the map is not strictly geographical.

What software did you use? I would love to have a stab at making a map for West Dorset.



P.S.
Between Bridport and Weymouth the X52 also runs, along the same route as X53. It is a summer-only open top bus.

If there was a thumbs up option I would use it!
 

WestAnglian

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2021
Messages
158
Location
Bishop's Stortford
Bus 508 from Harlow to Stansted Airport no longer exists; 509 is rerouted but no changes are needed at the scale of the map.

Bus 723 is a new Harlow to Stansted Airport route direct via M11.
 

TAS

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2005
Messages
286
Various Suffolk and Essex changes, mostly as a result of alterations over the last year to what's now Central Connect's services:

- Maldon>Colchester, should be 375 (75 now limited to a handful of journeys and Sundays)
- Maldon>Chelmsford should be 31, 331, 332, 333, 375 (timetables reworked recently, you may be able to exclude 31 and 332 as these are more limited services, depending on precise criteria)
- Braintree>Halstead, should be 38 and 42 (60 about to be withdrawn, 89 curtailed to a short route which no longer needs to be shown)
- Halstead>Sudbury, should be 42 (as above)
- Sudbury>Bury St Eds, should be 42 and 43
- Sudbury>Colchester, should be 43 and 44
- I think there's an argument for adding Hadleigh as a node between Sudbury, Stowmarket and Ipswich, connected by services 50, 51 and 91 respectively
- Clacton>Walton, should be 7 and 9
- Clacton>Colchester, should be 74 and 76
- There's also an argument for adding Brightlingsea as a node, connected to Clacton by service 78 and Colchester by service 87

There may be others that I haven't caught - probably worth a full check as I think there have been some changes in bits of the Central Connect network I'm less familiar with which may not have been caught.
 

pjnathanail

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2012
Messages
391
Location
Loughborough
Various Suffolk and Essex changes, mostly as a result of alterations over the last year to what's now Central Connect's services:

- Maldon>Colchester, should be 375 (75 now limited to a handful of journeys and Sundays)
- Maldon>Chelmsford should be 31, 331, 332, 333, 375 (timetables reworked recently, you may be able to exclude 31 and 332 as these are more limited services, depending on precise criteria)
- Braintree>Halstead, should be 38 and 42 (60 about to be withdrawn, 89 curtailed to a short route which no longer needs to be shown)
- Halstead>Sudbury, should be 42 (as above)
- Sudbury>Bury St Eds, should be 42 and 43
- Sudbury>Colchester, should be 43 and 44
- I think there's an argument for adding Hadleigh as a node between Sudbury, Stowmarket and Ipswich, connected by services 50, 51 and 91 respectively
- Clacton>Walton, should be 7 and 9
- Clacton>Colchester, should be 74 and 76
- There's also an argument for adding Brightlingsea as a node, connected to Clacton by service 78 and Colchester by service 87

There may be others that I haven't caught - probably worth a full check as I think there have been some changes in bits of the Central Connect network I'm less familiar with which may not have been caught.
To save duplicating work, I would advise waiting to update the Central Connect Essex / Suffolk network until August, as further service changes in that area, yet to be put into the public domain, are planned. For information, all bus services operated by Konectbus, Flagfinders, Simonds and Central Connect can be found online at the new Central Connect website - https://www.central-connect.co.uk/.
 

Parebunks

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
325
Location
Manchester/Oxford
Bus 508 from Harlow to Stansted Airport no longer exists; 509 is rerouted but no changes are needed at the scale of the map.

Bus 723 is a new Harlow to Stansted Airport route direct via M11.
Various Suffolk and Essex changes, mostly as a result of alterations over the last year to what's now Central Connect's services:

- Maldon>Colchester, should be 375 (75 now limited to a handful of journeys and Sundays)
- Maldon>Chelmsford should be 31, 331, 332, 333, 375 (timetables reworked recently, you may be able to exclude 31 and 332 as these are more limited services, depending on precise criteria)
- Braintree>Halstead, should be 38 and 42 (60 about to be withdrawn, 89 curtailed to a short route which no longer needs to be shown)
- Halstead>Sudbury, should be 42 (as above)
- Sudbury>Bury St Eds, should be 42 and 43
- Sudbury>Colchester, should be 43 and 44
- I think there's an argument for adding Hadleigh as a node between Sudbury, Stowmarket and Ipswich, connected by services 50, 51 and 91 respectively
- Clacton>Walton, should be 7 and 9
- Clacton>Colchester, should be 74 and 76
- There's also an argument for adding Brightlingsea as a node, connected to Clacton by service 78 and Colchester by service 87

There may be others that I haven't caught - probably worth a full check as I think there have been some changes in bits of the Central Connect network I'm less familiar with which may not have been caught.
To save duplicating work, I would advise waiting to update the Central Connect Essex / Suffolk network until August, as further service changes in that area, yet to be put into the public domain, are planned. For information, all bus services operated by Konectbus, Flagfinders, Simonds and Central Connect can be found online at the new Central Connect website - https://www.central-connect.co.uk/.
Thanks all, East Anglia is another area I find hard to keep track of and Central Connect don't seem the best at publicity. I'll take pjnathnail's advice and fix the whole thing up for August changes, maybe featuring a new colour for Central Connect.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
Adobe Illustrator - an institutional subscription, no way I'd pay that price tag myself. I have tried Inkscape as a free alternative in the past, but couldn't really get my head round it.
if you’re looking for an Adobe escape route, worth trying the free Affinity, which should open your existing file OK. Import info here:
(not sure why that link is showing me “unsupported browser” - works fine when I open it)
 

WestAnglian

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2021
Messages
158
Location
Bishop's Stortford
Thanks all, East Anglia is another area I find hard to keep track of and Central Connect don't seem the best at publicity. I'll take pjnathnail's advice and fix the whole thing up for August changes, maybe featuring a new colour for Central Connect.

The problem with where I live, Uttlesford in NW Essex, is that every tendering round most of the Stephensons of Essex supported routes are won by Central Connect and vice versa. This is happening again over the next weekend.
 

YorkRailFan

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2023
Messages
3,452
Location
York
Some additions for Cornwall:
Go Cornwall Bus also operate the 93 between Newquay & Truro, complimenting the 85, 87 & 91.
Go Cornwall Bus operate the 94 between Wadebridge & Truro.
Go Cornwall Bus operate the 92B between Newquay & Wadebridge.
 

Lpine2001

New Member
Joined
28 Sep 2026
Messages
1
Location
windsor
Mold to Ellesmere Port 5 no longer exists sadly. It's now F5 from Mold to Queensferry then 101A from Deeside Industrial Estate to Ellesmere Port. I think it may get too tight to add this into the map properly given the amount of other buses in this area which link between the towns.

Wrexham to Rhyl 51/X51 is now T51 TrawsCymru but operated by Arriva.

Depending on space, there is the Lewis Y Llan 61 which runs about 5 times per day from Amlwch to Holyhead.

Chester to Warrington X30 should show as serving Runcorn.

Arriva 375/385 Southport to Wigan should be a bigger line as these run every 20 minutes.


I hope this helps.
Apologies as this is not quite the purpose of this thread but I saw on an old, now closed closed thread, that you were making a list of all the staff shuttle buses that were run in the country, I want to make that into a map also.

Do you still have a copy of that list? Think it was deleted of the old thread.
Would be super grateful, think it would be very telling and insightful!
 

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
714
Location
North Derbyshire
The X17 doesn't start in Matlock, it ends in Wirksworth which is not on the map. The town is also served by the 6.1 and 110/111 routes. Fair enough if its been omitted to remove clutter.
 

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,135
Location
Great Britain
Apologies as this is not quite the purpose of this thread but I saw on an old, now closed closed thread, that you were making a list of all the staff shuttle buses that were run in the country, I want to make that into a map also.
Sorry, I no longer have this document.
 

Parebunks

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
325
Location
Manchester/Oxford
The X17 doesn't start in Matlock, it ends in Wirksworth which is not on the map. The town is also served by the 6.1 and 110/111 routes. Fair enough if its been omitted to remove clutter.
That is indeed to remove clutter - a few places on the map where I've shown routes ending in a larger town when they actually continue to somewhere smaller/a suburb.
 

Top