• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gravesend Xmas blockade and Station Rebuilding - good progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
I'm not sure what day you were there, but I went through on Tuesday and have to say I agree with most of that.

1) There were only laminated paper signs on Tuesday, with only one sign on the up platform on the railings, so it's good to see permanent ones going up.

4) Yes, platform 1 is fully bi-di.

5) I think it will, yes, but during testing a 465 did go in the up direction through platform 2. Was most likely an authorised wrong move for testing purposes.

8) I had noticed the increased speed, but I do think there is still some kind of limit. I'm pretty sure on Tuesday there was a TSR too at the London end of platform 0, although I may have been seeing things.

9) That was one of the most noticeable things. I could hear the train loudly long before I saw it.

Personally, I think I like it. The contrast between old and modern was strange, but not too strange. On Tuesday, I must admit it looked like a half finished site, but they have done the best with what they could do and it's only minor things that need doing now. One thing that was annoying was that the perches and shelter are on the middle third of platform 1. A 4 car, or even a 6 car to an extent, goes all the way up to the end third of the platform for obvious reasons, but it means everyone runs up the platform because they wait in the middle under the shelter and on the perches.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mole90

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2011
Messages
15
Location
Gravesend
One thing that was annoying was that the perches and shelter are on the middle third of platform 1. A 4 car, or even a 6 car to an extent, goes all the way up to the end third of the platform for obvious reasons, but it means everyone runs up the platform because they wait in the middle under the shelter and on the perches.

I think this is the most annoying thing about it so far. The 'S' stop for all trains is at the very far end of P1 and with the majority (if not all) of the HS services being 6-car, it ends up with only the last 1.5-2 cars stopping by the stairs and shelter. It would make much more sense to have a 4/6 car stop further along so that the train stops more towards the middle, as they used to on the 'old' P1.
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
I think this is the most annoying thing about it so far. The 'S' stop for all trains is at the very far end of P1 and with the majority (if not all) of the HS services being 6-car, it ends up with only the last 1.5-2 cars stopping by the stairs and shelter. It would make much more sense to have a 4/6 car stop further along so that the train stops more towards the middle, as they used to on the 'old' P1.

When a 4 car 465 arrives, the end of the train is in line with the stairs. I guess a lot of people will get use to the set up and wait at that end of the platform, although it will be frustrating in the rain.

I think the problem is that if you do that you then have to have more DOO monitors at different locations along the platform. In the current set up, with all trains just stopping at the end you only need one set of monitors at the London end. Possibly a signal repeater too, I think (although I could be wrong) the view is restricted of the end of the platform from the middle.

One thing that confused me were that there are stop signs at the monitors at the London end of the bay platform 0. Seeing as no train will ever arrive into the platform in the right direction to see them boards, what's the point of having them?
 
Last edited:

cyclebytrain

Member
Joined
11 Jul 2009
Messages
311
Unless I'm much mistaken, arranging the stop boards as they have has meant that no new DOO monitors/cameras have bee needed, despite adding an extra platform. I think that an extra canopy will appear on the lift side of the bridge in due course -I cannot see it being considered acceptable that people who can use the stairs emerge from the bridge under cover whilst those of reduced mobility have to move to move to find shelter from the elements.

I agree that it would make sense to move the 6 coach 395 stop location though -as it is; Strood, Gravesend, Ebbsfleet & Stratford all tend to lead people to board the same part of the train & since the 395s have cameras, there's (presumably) no particular need to have the stop board where the monitors are (obviously there is little that can be done for a 12 since that will fill most of the platform anyway)
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Part of the old Gravesend station has arrived at the East Kent Railway in Shepherdswell.

http://www.dover-express.co.uk/PICT...rrives-Dover/story-20828549-detail/story.html

A CENTURY-OLD railway bridge has been delivered to the district for restoration.

Network Rail donated the 105-foot-long roofed lattice footbridge from Gravesend station, built in 1904, to East Kent Railway Trust and delivered it to Shepherdswell in several trucks yesterday.

The bridge was removed due to the multi-million pound upgrade of Gravesend station which began over Christmas.

A planning application for the bridge’s reconstruction will be submitted “shortly”.

Gary Cox said: “EKRT was approached to see if we could play a part in preserving this historic bridge, we were delighted to accept their offer.

“To be asked to join this project to restore and re-build this bridge was an offer and an honour that we could not refuse.

“However, this project is not just about saving the bridge, it will enhance our visitors’ experience at our Mining Railway Heritage site by providing access from our platform area to the wonderful “Knees Woodlands Area” that is being lovingly restored and developed by our woodland rangers.

“It will also give our apprentices some valuable experience at the same time.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top