• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Terminal in NY turns 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
214
New Yorks Grand_Central_Terminal turned 100 years this week. Several US media outlets reported on the birthday.

A little compilation of text and audio reports:

100 Years of Grandeur: The Birth of Grand Central Terminal (NY Times)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/nyregion/the-birth-of-grand-central-terminal-100-years-later.html

How Grand Central Terminal Transformed America (WNYC):
http://transportationnation.org/2013/01/30/how-grand-central-terminal-transformed-america/

How Grand Central Terminal Survived the Wrecking Ball (WNYC):
http://transportationnation.org/201...-survived-the-wrecking-ball-and-lived-to-100/

Grand Central, A Cathedral For Commuters, Celebrates 100 (NPR)
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/01/170692025/grand-central-a-cathedral-for-commuters-celebrates-100

Cheers
Charly
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
Visited GCT for the first time in September and it is as awesome as I imagined.

I'd read that when it was restored in the 90s the blue ceiling tiles were brown with smoke and tar and they were all cleaned except one. I looked for this one for ages and couldn't find it as I was imaging something bigger.

I finally asked a waitress in the Michael Jordan restaurant on the balcony and she pointed it out by following the tail on one of the astrological signs. It was a tiny, tiny brown dot from where we were standing!
 

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
Some great write ups and photos there Charly. I've had a look at all the threads you've started.
I walked the entire length of the Chelsea High Line when I was there in September. There is more going to be opened up to the north apparently.
The one thing I didn't find out about before I went to New York was City Hall Station, apparently you can get a glimpse of it if you stay on the 6 as it loops around. I'll just have to go back again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top