• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Sunderland CSA jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeb375

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2016
Messages
38
Location
Jarrow
Hello folks.

I've been wanting to get a job on the railway for a while, and a CSA role would seem like a good way to start, so I can get used to being shouted at and dealing with 'demanding' customers. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a bit more info about working on the Sunderland-KGX route, particularly how often (if at all) London overnight stays are required, and also what the arrangements are for these (e.g. who pays?).

In addition, I'm working on the assumption that experience in a role like this would make me a more attractive candidate when applying for future conductor/driver roles either in or out of the company, would that be correct?

Any info would be appreciated. I've had a quick search and a lot of the threads are quite old and I imagine things might have changed since then.

Taaaaaaaa.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Hello!

From what I've heard overnight stays in London (or lodges/lodge turns; as they are known in the rail industry) are funded by the firm, with an allowance for dinner.
It might be worth taking a look at this thread; if you haven't already http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91697
It's from a couple of years ago, and hopefully things have changed at Sunderland since it was written. If they haven't (I don't work for GC so I don't know) and it's still as it says in the thread, my frank advice is to run as fast as you can in the other direction. Something better will come up, if you're in the North East Virgin recruit for CSAs fairly regularly from Newcastle Central, and they seem cheerful enough. Likewise Retail Service Managers/First Class Hosts for Cross Country, again at Newcastle
I'm sorry if that seems blunt, and if if anyone is in the know and Sunderland is a happier ship these days please do correct me, but no job is worth working in such a toxic atmosphere as it appears (or appeared) to be
As to your other question I would say more or less any experience in the operational side of the rail industry would stand you in good stead in whatever you want to do; and a CSA-type "frontline" role is probably the best way to start in my view.
Hope that helps and wasn't overly gloomy. Whatever you decide all the best, it's a great industry
 

Paul Duck

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2014
Messages
171
Location
Eaglescliffe
Hello folks.

I've been wanting to get a job on the railway for a while, and a CSA role would seem like a good way to start, so I can get used to being shouted at and dealing with 'demanding' customers. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a bit more info about working on the Sunderland-KGX route, particularly how often (if at all) London overnight stays are required, and also what the arrangements are for these (e.g. who pays?).

In addition, I'm working on the assumption that experience in a role like this would make me a more attractive candidate when applying for future conductor/driver roles either in or out of the company, would that be correct?

Any info would be appreciated. I've had a quick search and a lot of the threads are quite old and I imagine things might have changed since then.

Taaaaaaaa.

I would say go for it. Why not? If you get through the initial application they are hosting open days in December so I would say see what happens if you get through to one of those days you can decide for yourself what GC could be like to work for. I would hazard a guess that the staff lodge around once every 10-14 days (please don't fully quote me on that one like) going on how often I see the same member at staff at 1822 at Eaglescliffe on a evening.
All I would say is as long as you can handle a Saturday night crowd from York you can do anything. I have seen over last year a couple of CSA's go on to become good Train Guards. Never had a problem with any of staff including management. Always happy and going the extra mile and always engage able.
Good luck with your application.
 

beeb375

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2016
Messages
38
Location
Jarrow
Thanks for your replies! I did see that thread about the supposed bad manager but it was a while back so I'm willing to give it a shot. It's good to know that a role like this should be looked upon favourably should I get it and want to try for a conductor job later on.

I could deal with that frequency of lodges in London but I'll certainly be asking a bit more about it. I'd hope they pay, as it seems pointless earning £80 odd quid on a shift and then being expected to spend it all on a hotel!

Cheers for the help, will let you know how I get on
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
I know Hull Trains pay around £30 for dinner, plus they provide a hotel room in London. I don't know of any lodges for any TOC anywhere that don't provide a hotel and food, there's no way any union would let that go. The company picks up the tab I'm 99.9% sure, but asking will do no harm
 

LETHLFH

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2015
Messages
140
I do not work for Grand Central but I do cross paths with the Sunderland CSA's, guards and drivers. They are quite a nice bunch to be honest and very easy to get on with mostly, although I know nothing about their managers, so I cannot comment on the negativity in the other thread.
Lodge turns are quite frequent, approx once every 7-14 days but unsure on exact rota. They are put up in a chain hotel with evening meal and breakfast.
Hope this helps
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,593
Location
LBK
I don't know much about the specifics of the GC operation with lodging and turns, but I did work "sort of for them" when I was with XC, who provide a lot of the auxiliary and back office functions, including their customer relations team.

GC are a great small company to work for. Even since their absorption into the DB empire they have retained a homely feel with good management and excellent staff morale. I would certainly recommend them as an employer. The only thing to be aware of is that they are open access and not a franchised TOC; therefore, while the job is what I'd call secure, it's not quite as secure as working for a behemoth like one of the franchises.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Couple of points I would make:

1) As has been said, GC is not a franchise so Arriva could in effect pull the plug at any time, as has been done before with Wrexham and Shropshire. I'd hope that if they did, they would be looking to move people from GC to over roles within the Arriva group (which in the NE would realistically be Northern).

2) May be a consideration but I believe that GC are not part of the Railway Pension scheme - how generous their scheme is I don't know.

3) Grand Central have never taken on trainee drivers, so unlikely that they will do so in the near future. Indeed they have recently advertised for qualified drivers for Sunderland.

However what I would say is that getting the job and putting it on the C.V. will be attractive to other employers and you will also gain a lot of transferable skills which can be used at other TOCs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top