• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central £15 North East!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2009
Messages
737
Location
Hartlepool, England, UK

Travel to London for just £15 with Grand Central’s Morning and Evening Specials
- http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/15poundspecial

Travel between London and York and the North East for just £15 on Grand Central’s Morning and Evening Specials.
Get one of our cheapest ever fares if you travel on the 08:04 from London Kings Cross to Sunderland or the 17:31 from Sunderland to Kings Cross.

Morning Special

Departs:
London Kings Cross 08.04
York 10.14
Thirsk 10.30
Northallerton 10.39
Eaglescliffe 10.59
Hartlepool 11.24
Sunderland 1150
Evening Special

Departs:
Sunderland 17.30
Hartlepool 17.56
Eaglescliffe 18.15
Northallerton 18.37
Thirsk 18.46
York 19.08
London Kings Cross
21.09

- http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/15poundspecial
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
besides this being in the wrong thread, it is I am afraid not a good sign for an Open access operator.


Bob

No, but Hull Trains have had cheap advances for years. Cheap tickets aren't necessarily a bad thing if it gets bums on seats.
 

OMGitsDAVE

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2009
Messages
737
Location
Hartlepool, England, UK
The Sunderland service is actually pretty well used, and so I assume they're just aiming to fill the Early northbound trains and the late southbound trains, which are usually the quietest.
 

David Dunning

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
210
Location
York
That must be one of the best ever "turn up and go" deals . Unless I have mis read this . I have to say the general move towards " book ahead" weeks in advance never works for me . I like to take off somewhere at the last minute which means I dont use the railway nearly as much as i'd like to .Walk on fares are just so expensive compared to taking the car .
So once again well done Grand Central for being different.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
The Sunderland service is actually pretty well used, and so I assume they're just aiming to fill the Early northbound trains and the late southbound trains, which are usually the quietest.

Indeed and it's about time they did that, I've used the early Northbound from York through to Sunderland and to say it was quite would be putting it mildly. So putting some cheap advances on it can only be a good idea.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I think it's a great idea, plenty of time to see the sights of Sunderland or escape for a few hours to Newcastle, :p

In all seriousness this is a decent offer.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,481
Location
Yorkshire
besides this being in the wrong thread, it is I am afraid not a good sign for an Open access operator.


Bob
On the contrary!

The walk-on fares for GC have risen massively, due to increased demand. Despite these increases, the trains that run at busy times have very healthy loadings and overcrowding can occur. Yet they run a couple of trains that are very lightly loaded because you can travel with East Coast for £10 by booking in advance at these times. I was about to buy a £10 ticket for a Friday evening train at about 8pm, I am not tempted to not bother and pay £15 on the GC train instead.

Every other long distance operator does yield management, so why shouldn't GC?
 

lm321412

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
537
Location
Birmingham
besides this being in the wrong thread, it is I am afraid not a good sign for an Open access operator.


Bob

They are probably the more quieter trains of the day anyway. I think its good considering they do not offer advance fares.

(or at least they never last time I looked...)
 

OMGitsDAVE

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2009
Messages
737
Location
Hartlepool, England, UK
They are probably the more quieter trains of the day anyway. I think its good considering they do not offer advance fares.

(or at least they never last time I looked...)

They don't offer advance fares no.
Not related to the offer; Apparently the 16:50 off the cross today is ABSOLUTELY rammed because of the royal wedding - can anyone confirm it?
 

GNERman

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2008
Messages
1,595
Location
North Yorkshire
probably will be...

special offers are just a good way for companies to attract more passengers, it doesn't mean that it is a "bad sign" :lol:...
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Interesting this one, as this is a good option for those travelling on an All Line Rail Rover arriving into London on the sleeper
This was one of my options previously in 2009 and was sorry to see it cease
I would certainly consider it at £15 to travel on the 08:04 Kings Cross to York, rather than sitting waiting until 10:00 or paying to travel to somewhere like Watford Junction or Stevenage
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
I would certainly consider it at £15 to travel on the 08:04 Kings Cross to York, rather than sitting waiting until 10:00 or paying to travel to somewhere like Watford Junction or Stevenage

Surely you would be wasting £15? The restriction out of Kings Cross applies to EC services not to all inter-city operators (ie not to GC and HT).
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Its a good offer from the point of view of the customer certainly the 08.04 ex Kings Cross is a bit of a ghost train. Passenger loadings are so low I'm surprised GC havent chopped it tbh.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
The restriction out of Kings Cross applies to EC services not to all inter-city operators (ie not to GC and HT).
I was previously advised the restriction applies to all services out of Euston and Kings Cross before 10:00
However I see this has been relaxed to just West Coast and East Coast

It would still cost just as much to get to Watford Junction or Stevenage, plus the delay and waiting around in order to make a connection on such a West Coast or East Coast service

I did not include First Hull Trains last time, there was just not enough time or too much time between Euston and Kings Cross, and this has not changed
07:20 and 09:48

I have still to see what can be planned for the last week of June and first week of July in 2011
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
You can't really compare the operations of GCR and WSMR
GCR managed to have the rules changed a little, allowing them to serve York and then later Doncaster
WSMR were really restricted on what they could do, passing through Birmingham without stopping was just nonsense
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,481
Location
Yorkshire
I was previously advised the restriction applies to all services out of Euston and Kings Cross before 10:00

Advised by who? Not on here you weren't ;)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38994&highlight=rover+restrictions

There's never been any hint of GC being affected, that I can recall.

However I see this has been relaxed to just West Coast and East Coast
There is no sign that the rule has been relaxed that I can see, so I don't know where you saw that?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr20780b0a0400020167ed620a7e504e/details.html
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
I can see this being fantastic for Sunderland home games... just as the football season's finishing :lol:

I'm a Sunderland Supporters Association London Branch member,we have an arrangement with GC and pay £34 return for home match trips.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top