It seemed a long time before I came across a gradient profile of interest to me, it was by John Marshall who wrote many books covering the L&Y network, and his work is held in high regard. This profile is in a section of one of his books from the early 1970's covering one specific branch line. I've independently checked all his facts, figures, costs and dates etc and all are correct, with that, I took his gradient profile to be accurate.
A couple of years later I came across a book concerning signalling and the boxes on the branch written by Chris Littleworth. Sadly Chris is no longer with us, but in one of his books written in the early 2000's, he too has a gradient profile. Knowing Chris' work as being very precise / accurate I just looked at the graph and thought "yes, they are same" - My mistake was I didn't read those gradient numbers.
Finally, a few days ago I came across the gradient profiles for all of the L&Y network produced by the Mechanical Engineering Dept. of the L&Y (Horwich) in 1889. Looking at the same gradient profile of interest, this is different...
This morning I decided to compare all three and they are all different from each other.
John and Chris both show 18 gradient changes, the L&Y only 11?
Also, John and Chris mainly agree with each other on the eastern section, but differ greatly on the western section.
One portion is listed by John as 1 in 64, by Chris, 1 in 1270, and the L&Y as 1 in 800!
Who would you believe if you wanted to draw your own profile of this branch?
Could the L&Y one be a more general profile?
Out of the three, I suspect Chris' profile will be the most correct, he was writing about the signal boxes which we know had gradient profiles for their sections.
A couple of years later I came across a book concerning signalling and the boxes on the branch written by Chris Littleworth. Sadly Chris is no longer with us, but in one of his books written in the early 2000's, he too has a gradient profile. Knowing Chris' work as being very precise / accurate I just looked at the graph and thought "yes, they are same" - My mistake was I didn't read those gradient numbers.
Finally, a few days ago I came across the gradient profiles for all of the L&Y network produced by the Mechanical Engineering Dept. of the L&Y (Horwich) in 1889. Looking at the same gradient profile of interest, this is different...
This morning I decided to compare all three and they are all different from each other.
John and Chris both show 18 gradient changes, the L&Y only 11?
Also, John and Chris mainly agree with each other on the eastern section, but differ greatly on the western section.
One portion is listed by John as 1 in 64, by Chris, 1 in 1270, and the L&Y as 1 in 800!
Who would you believe if you wanted to draw your own profile of this branch?
Could the L&Y one be a more general profile?
Out of the three, I suspect Chris' profile will be the most correct, he was writing about the signal boxes which we know had gradient profiles for their sections.
